5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 RAM 1500 75K Miles Engine or MGU Whine/Noise??

Superbri

Reaction score
Interesting, the dealership was told by STAR to try another MGU install making it the third they’ve tried…

Kfins2022

Reaction score
My 2020 Ram 1500 BH has 75K and just started making a whinning noise. Looks like it could be the etorque generator. Not lopoking forward to this repair if so.

4284sanchee

Reaction score
Following up on my older post on this thread. So my dealer originally said the whine coming from the MGU did not compromise its functionality therefore they were not going to change it “Chrysler Guidelines”. It’s true, they showed me the screen saying they don’t change that part for a small whine noise. I’m here a couple months removed from my original post to say, I purchased a new battery from Costco because the old went bad shortly after my initial dealer trip. Now, my battery voltage light is on an my voltage will not stay at 14 when the truck is running. My voltage drops to about 11 and goes into power saver mode. When in that mode, touchscreen doesn’t work, audio doesn’t work, start/stop doesn’t work, etc. when I turn the truck off then back on, the voltage will increase from 11 to 14 but will start to decrease shortly after, not to mention that whine noise got ALOT louder. Took it in and now they’re saying the MGU “Smart Alternator” is bad. My first battery probably went bad because of this issue. I’m currently waiting to hear about whether they have this part in stock.

Superbri

Reaction score
Good luck, they are buying mine back however are still required to fix it. They are waiting on the third MGU to install which is back ordered. Not sure if they had a bad run of Mgu’s but I’m currently looking for a similar model year without the e-torque system. They don’t seem to have nearly the issues of the e-torque trucks. I believe car and driver did a comparison test and loved the RAM Rebel but had multiple issues with the e-torque system as well.

jgates237

Reaction score
Following up on my older post on this thread. So my dealer originally said the whine coming from the MGU did not compromise its functionality therefore they were not going to change it “Chrysler Guidelines”. It’s true, they showed me the screen saying they don’t change that part for a small whine noise. I’m here a couple months removed from my original post to say, I purchased a new battery from Costco because the old went bad shortly after my initial dealer trip. Now, my battery voltage light is on an my voltage will not stay at 14 when the truck is running. My voltage drops to about 11 and goes into power saver mode. When in that mode, touchscreen doesn’t work, audio doesn’t work, start/stop doesn’t work, etc. when I turn the truck off then back on, the voltage will increase from 11 to 14 but will start to decrease shortly after, not to mention that whine noise got ALOT louder. Took it in and now they’re saying the MGU “Smart Alternator” is bad. My first battery probably went bad because of this issue. I’m currently waiting to hear about whether they have this part in stock.
How can they say that they say the whining from your MGU isn't compromising its functionality? That makes no sense.
My 2020 just recently started doing this as well. Voltage is still up at 14.5 when driving it but I can't imagine that will continue for much longer. I'm sure that I'll be adding content to this thread. Glad to hear the MGU is covered under an 8yr/80,000 mile warranty.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How can they say that they say the whining from your MGU isn't compromising its functionality? That makes no sense.
My 2020 just recently started doing this as well. Voltage is still up at 14.5 when driving it but I can't imagine that will continue for much longer. I'm sure that I'll be adding content to this thread. Glad to hear the MGU is covered under an 8yr/80,000 mile warranty.
It's functionality is to charge, auto start in AS/S conditions and Regen while braking. The whine apparently does not impact any of those functions.
The worst this is is a noisy bearing on one of or both ends of the shaft that spins inside the MGU.

If I had to guess, engineers didn't correctly calculate the amount of downward stress the front MGU pulley would have on it given how tight that belt has to be for the system to function.

GM had a similar problem on the LSA & LS9 supercharged engines in the ZR1, ZL1 and CTS/Vs however their pulleys failed to the point that it started rattling

m.hamner

Reaction score
Ram 1500 ETorque Whine - idler pulley is culprit

‘22 limited with 36,800 miles, just outside of warranty. MGU was already replaced at 3k due to randomly stalling out. Since then, this whine accompanies the RPM, being the loudest at idle and goes away at HWY speed.

Took it twice to the dealership for both techs saying it was normal. Finally had enough and did some deep research. Took it to them and told them it was the idler pulley, which they’ve confirmed is the result of the whining you’re hearing.

They’re gonna replace it. Not harmful to drive it apparently. Just annoying to listen to above the sound of the hemi, in a brand new truck at that.

jgates237

Reaction score
Ram 1500 ETorque Whine - idler pulley is culprit

‘22 limited with 36,800 miles, just outside of warranty. MGU was already replaced at 3k due to randomly stalling out. Since then, this whine accompanies the RPM, being the loudest at idle and goes away at HWY speed.

Took it twice to the dealership for both techs saying it was normal. Finally had enough and did some deep research. Took it to them and told them it was the idler pulley, which they’ve confirmed is the result of the whining you’re hearing.

They’re gonna replace it. Not harmful to drive it apparently. Just annoying to listen to above the sound of the hemi, in a brand new truck at that.
Did you ever get it replaced and if so what are the results? My is screaming a bit louder every day so time is near for the fix. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread