5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram 1500 4x4 wont start, I need help!

jakeintexas

Reaction score
Hello friends,

I stepped outside today to leave and unlocked tried to remote start the vehicle. It didn't start but sounded like it was trying. I jumped in and pushed the start button. It starting making a popping sound through the speaker, would not start, and the gauges were going crazy. Then it start making a noise like it does when I remote start it and it wouldn't stop. I repeated the process and the same thing happened. I literally just hit 60k on it and just drove it last night with no issues. In the attached picture, I'm pointing to what I believe is the vacuum pump?) that was making a noise and wouldn't stop. It finally did after a few minutes and I'm assuming that is part of the start process. I came back an hour later and my truck is completely dead. The remote does nothing and pushing the button in does nothing, like the batter is completely drained now. It was perfectly fine before, so I don't know what changed overnight. Any suggestions?

f.jpg

Last edited:

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Since nobody else is answering....from their listing it looks like yes it will fit. Definitely buy a good battery. from just reading different posts here, our trucks are very picky with batteries. Many members have had weird little problem that turned out to be batteries. Some had their batteries tested, and passed, but a new battery fixed the issue.

jakeintexas

Reaction score
Since nobody else is answering....from their listing it looks like yes it will fit. Definitely buy a good battery. from just reading different posts here, our trucks are very picky with batteries. Many members have had weird little problem that turned out to be batteries. Some had their batteries tested, and passed, but a new battery fixed the issue.
Thanks! I’m going down to pick this up today. There was a similar one from the auto parts store but it was closer to 300

jabara572

Reaction score
Thanks! I’m going down to pick this up today. There was a similar one from the auto parts store but it was closer to 300

Thats a great battery but put an H8 in it instead, just remove the little spacer block in there, our battery tray is sized for an H8, no idea why they put an H7 plus spacer in there (cheaper probly).

Mine did the same thing a month ago and I did that battery in H8 size.

6of36

Reaction score
Thats a great battery but put an H8 in it instead, just remove the little spacer block in there, our battery tray is sized for an H8, no idea why they put an H7 plus spacer in there (cheaper probly).

I had seen you post that, but couldn't remember who you were, or where you posted it, to tell him.

jakeintexas

Reaction score
So the new battery worked, it fired right up. The only issue I have is the start/stop is disabled and I have a check engine light on now. I'm assuming it may have triggered with the power flickering when the battery went out. It also had the ECU alert but it went away along with the stability control disabled after I drove around the block. Any ideas on how to get my start/stop back on and how to clear the check engine light? From what I read, I need to disconnect the negative terminal on my new battery and wait 20 minutes and hook it back up.

error message.jpg

RamCares

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you are experiencing this, we certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you end up addressing this with your local dealer, please let us know via PM. We'd be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Callie
Ram Cares

jakeintexas

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you are experiencing this, we certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you end up addressing this with your local dealer, please let us know via PM. We'd be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Callie
Ram Cares
Thank you. The engine light went off but not I have no rear camera or passenger settings. I'm taking it for a drive later and will see if it will naturally reset.

HemiDude

Reaction score
It can sometimes take an entire day for all of your options to come back, and all of the lights to go out

jakeintexas

Reaction score

Callie
Ram Cares
It can sometimes take an entire day for all of your options to come back, and all of the lights to go out
Thanks for the help, everything came back online and she is running great!

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I received my truck and a week later left on a month long vacation. I had heard of sensitive battery issues and have read that if the truck is not started for 2 weeks or better you should charge battery before starting. I installed a battery tender on the truck. I'm hoping that will avoid issues. I'll be home next week to find out.

jakeintexas

Reaction score
Thank you. The engine light went off but not I have no rear camera or passenger settings. I'm taking it for a drive later and will see if it will naturally reset.
Thank you Ram Care! I sent you a direct message regarding an issue with my passenger side sun visor falling down again, obstructing my while driving. I'm hoping it is still covered but most importantly can be fixed so it doesn't drop down while driving.

6of36

Reaction score
Great to hear that it is fixed. It's crazy how sensitive all the electronics in these trucks are to the slightest voltage drop.

John Jensen

Reaction score
That's what I put in my 2016 Eco last month
Walmart, EverStart AGM, Group Size 49/H8, 850 CCA 170.00

Jexx

Reaction score
That's what I put in my 2016 Eco last month
Walmart, EverStart AGM, Group Size 49/H8, 850 CCA 170.00
When looking at this battery today, the H8 shows 900 CCA for $170 and the H7 is 850 CCA also for $170.
Did Walmart change the H8 model and give it 50 more CCA or do you actually have the H7??

Ulster

Reaction score
Batteries certainly are much more expensive than they used to be, just like everything else. I had to replace in one of my Wranglers a couple of weeks ago, and I was a bit shocked.

DannyMc

Reaction score
So the new battery worked, it fired right up. The only issue I have is the start/stop is disabled and I have a check engine light on now. I'm assuming it may have triggered with the power flickering when the battery went out. It also had the ECU alert but it went away along with the stability control disabled after I drove around the block. Any ideas on how to get my start/stop back on and how to clear the check engine light? From what I read, I need to disconnect the negative terminal on my new battery and wait 20 minutes and hook it back up.

View attachment 152558
Is your battery still holding up? I had a similar issue in December… replacedbattery with H7 AGM from Wal-Mart. Then end of January truck started dying again after sitting 30-36 hours. Dealer replaced BCM for $600 and drive me to Wal-Mart to get new battery under warranty. Mid-February battery was dying again if truck sat over 24 hours. Have found vacuum pump running as soon as I hook up jump box. Truck has been at dealer for 8 days this time and they cannot find source of battery drain. I’m sure my January battery will be shot from multiple deep discharges (<5v several times). Wal-Mart will probably give me trouble with 2 failures in just over a month. Anyone recommend getting it to another dealer? ( I have been using same dealer for 25 years on 20+ new cars/trucks) I think current dealer may be in over his head on a loaded Limited truck.

Users who are viewing this thread