5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Overland Ram Build

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
Garage is starting to look like a mix between a 4 Wheel parts and Amazon warehouse so figured while it was raining I'd go ahead and start my build thread.

Truck: 2020 Ram 1500 4wd Night Edition

The Day I brought her home:

20191113_223623.jpg

Added Mopar In-Chanel Window Visors, N-Fab EpYx Side Steps and Weathertech Floormats

20191211_170957.jpg

Suspension/ Wheels/ Tires:

6” Procomp Lift
35x12.50r20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
20x9 +1 Fuel Hostage D625 Wheels

20200603_173953.jpg

That is currently how she sits today. Here is a list of everything else that has been ordered:

Bed Rack:

Leitner Rack
Extra 60” Load Bar
2x Leitner Universal Mounting Plates
2x Rotopax 2 Gallon Water
2x Rotopax 3 Gallon Fuel
2x Rotopax Lox
Rotopax Extender to stack the water pax
Rotopax 3 Extender to stack the fuel pax
Hi Lift Jack Bracket
Hi Lift Xtreme Jack
Maxtrax Mounting Brackets
Maxtrax Mounting Pins
Maxtrax MK11
Leitner Roof Top Tent Mounting Brackets
Tuff Stuff Alpha Roof Top Tent
Gearpod XL
5x Molle Gear Bags with Custom Sewn on Labels (Fits perfect in Gearpod XL)

Winch:
Vice Designs Hidden Winch Mount
Smittybilt X20 Comp 12k Winch
2x 18k Snatch Blocks
4x D-Rings
2x Tree Straps
2x 4in Tow Straps
20ft Kinetic Snatch Strap

Kitchen:
Coleman Pack Away Kitchen Table
Camp Chef Rainier 2x Combo
Coleman Flatware Set
Camp Kitchen Cooking Utensil Set

Storage & Tools
5x 108qt Plano Sportsman Trunks
4 Pack Rhino Straps
Toolbox
Kennedy Metal Works Shovel & Axe Mounting Brackets
Krazy Beaver Murder Spork
28” Fiskar Chopping Axe
333 Piece Workpro Tool Kit
Safety Seal Tire Repair Kit
Smittybilt 2781 Air Compressor

Communications:
2x Vehicle Specific Antenna Mounts
Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio
Tram 3/8-24-NMO Antenna Adapter
Firestik Quik Disconnect
3ft Firestik FL3-B
Midland MXT275 GMRS Radio
Midland – MXTA25 Ghost Antenna
2x NMO Coax Cables

This weekend I'll be working on getting all the Communications installed and the Leitner Rack. Stay tuned for updates/ pics!

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
Was a busy weekend, I installed the Leitner Designs bed rack and I hooked up the communications.

Leitner Rack:

Maxtrax mounted on driver side
1591584139115.png

Rotopax and Tepui awning on passenger side (For now)
1591584163816.png

I'm still waiting on my Gear Pod XL which should be here in about 2 weeks. It'll go where I have the RotoPax and I'll move those to behind the MaxTrax mounted on the inside of the rack.

Also the Roof Top Tent is still about 1.5 months out (Mid July delivery)

Comm's:

Midland MXT275 Micromobile GMRS with a Midland Ghost Antenna

Cobra 75 WX ST with a 4ft Firestik.

As you can see in the pictures, I'm still able to fully close my sliding drawer on console. Super easy access but also out of the way and I can easily drop them down inside the console to hide them if needed.

Mounted the Midland radio on top of the AC duct that supplies air to rear seat via console.

Mounted the Cobra in the big opening above that.. crazy how much free empty space there is underneath and on the backside of this console.

Drilled a hole through the backside of the hidden compartment in bottom of the console to route the mic cables.

Bent up some mic brackets that fit on the little ledge.
Used vehicle specific NCG Fender Brackets for antenna mounting.

I'm happy with it, keeps everything within arms reach and super easy to hear the built in speakers still.

1591584799065.png

Close but not touching at all!
1591584813049.png

Firestik
1591584831373.png

Midland Ghost Antenna
1591584841828.png

Here is where I drilled the hole through for the mic cables to run through
1591584854911.png

Midland module fit perfectly here!
1591584863961.png

Again, a perfect fit for the Cobra module!
1591584873574.png

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Following....Looks great! Do you know of any tonneau covers that work with Leitner racks? Seems unlikely based on the pics.

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
Following....Looks great! Do you know of any tonneau covers that work with Leitner racks? Seems unlikely based on the pics.
That is my biggest struggle at the moment. I've literally spent the entire day on the phone and online trying to find a tonneau cover that works. There is absolutely zero that will work because of the brace near the rear of the bed. I may be pulling this one off and going with a different rack that allows for a tonneau.. You may actually be able to help me with a question though.. My Roof Top Tent is 75" long, my bed is 67" long.. There is going to be some overhang, I really would like to center out the overhang on the front and the back but the biggest issue I'm finding is all the racks that will work with a tonneau max out about 21" where I need 24" to clear the shark fin antenna.. Do they make any replacement shark fin antennas that are shorter or a relocation kit for them? Or do you have any suggestions? If I could get down to 21" I'd clear the cab barely but then with the tent ontop of the rack I'd actually be able to fit under the carport at work.. As it is with the tent on top I'm right at 3" too tall..

BeemerG

Reaction score
My wife and I trying to set up our truck for overland as well. Nothing hardcore just weekend warrior stuff. We are looking at this set up.

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
My wife and I trying to set up our truck for overland as well. Nothing hardcore just weekend warrior stuff. We are looking at this set up.
I seen those hitch tents, they look cool but I'm trying to find something to permanently mount and leave there year round, I can't imagine traveling around with that big sail on the rear everywhere, plus it completely blocks rear view mirror view.

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
Here's a couple pictures of the shakedown test run from this past weekend. I ended up hosting a Texas Hill Country 2 night trip and had 19 vehicles show up. I learned a few things I didn't like about my setup so it was a successful trip. Can't wait for the Roof Top Tent to be here in a month so I can stop messing with ground tents! Also the full kitchen setup was a bit unnecessary so will be taking some of that away also.

103980322_10163772978735184_5889729010514855572_o.jpg
104054563_10163772806845184_2838292496345294590_o.jpg
104294289_10222061373259775_2672452346756017033_o.jpg

Here's a lil 10min video of the trip

BeemerG

Reaction score
Nice Video and great turn out. I just found out American Adventure Lab is coming out with rack system for roof top tent. Its called ATLAS= Articulating, Tent, Level and Slide.
It works with most of the roof top tents out there. Can't wait for the new truck to arrive start setting it up.
What didn't you like about your kitchen set up??

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
Nice Video and great turn out. I just found out American Adventure Lab is coming out with rack system for roof top tent. Its called ATLAS= Articulating, Tent, Level and Slide.
It works with most of the roof top tents out there. Can't wait for the new truck to arrive start setting it up.
What didn't you like about your kitchen set up??
Way too much to setup! I'm looking for something faster.. Currently designing as we speak what I hope will be what I want.. an enclosed box for the bed with a swing down door that has a bed slide in it that I can build out to how I want it.

1592603378690.png

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is my biggest struggle at the moment. I've literally spent the entire day on the phone and online trying to find a tonneau cover that works. There is absolutely zero that will work because of the brace near the rear of the bed. I may be pulling this one off and going with a different rack that allows for a tonneau.. You may actually be able to help me with a question though.. My Roof Top Tent is 75" long, my bed is 67" long.. There is going to be some overhang, I really would like to center out the overhang on the front and the back but the biggest issue I'm finding is all the racks that will work with a tonneau max out about 21" where I need 24" to clear the shark fin antenna.. Do they make any replacement shark fin antennas that are shorter or a relocation kit for them? Or do you have any suggestions? If I could get down to 21" I'd clear the cab barely but then with the tent ontop of the rack I'd actually be able to fit under the carport at work.. As it is with the tent on top I'm right at 3" too tall..
Retrax are the only tonneau’s I’ve found so far that work with bed racks. Too bad about your Letiner rack not working out for you. I’m sure someone will gladly buy it once you find a replacement. As far as the antenna relocation/replacement, I have not heard of any. A search on this forum showed one thread about damaged antennas but no relocation solution or a shorter option.

If I’m understanding your issue correctly, perhaps a flat roof type rack or just cross braces with 3” tall brackets you can attach to a 21” bed rack?

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
Well.. I was offered a deal I couldn't pass up so I'm currently running a Decked system.. I'll be selling it when I'm done building out my custom setup but for now it's doing a great job storing my stuff and keeping the wife off my *** now that it's not all stacked up all over the garage!

105361767_264005031539193_1954169404695957069_n.jpg

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
Retrax are the only tonneau’s I’ve found so far that work with bed racks. Too bad about your Letiner rack not working out for you. I’m sure someone will gladly buy it once you find a replacement. As far as the antenna relocation/replacement, I have not heard of any. A search on this forum showed one thread about damaged antennas but no relocation solution or a shorter option.

If I’m understanding your issue correctly, perhaps a flat roof type rack or just cross braces with 3” tall brackets you can attach to a 21” bed rack?

Only issue with that was the only racks that work with the Tonneau cover use a 3" bracket to get around the Tonneau cover rails/ mounting. So I'd be having to run two 3" brackets which creates weak points. I'm still considering going with a Camper Shell/ Canopy/ Cap/ Topper (Too many names depending on where you live for one item!!) but I gotta go talk to a fabricator that does custom off road roll cages to see if he thinks he can build an internal skeleton for the shell that mounts to the bed sides/ bed floor and THROUGH the shell so the rack and tent etc are sitting on the skeleton rather than on the fiberglass shell. I'm too big of a guy to trust putting that weight plus me on top of a piece of fiberglass.. I'll wake up falling through to the truck bed because I rolled over in my sleep. A Shell would definitely make my life much easier, and I'd keep the decked system I just bought as well.. I could store everything else I need to on top of it but still secured and out of the weather under the shell.

Skater

Reaction score
Great video. Looks like the trip was a whole heap of fun.

BeemerG

Reaction score
I like the diagram for the kitchen on post #9. Would that work with decked system?

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
I like the diagram for the kitchen on post #9. Would that work with decked system?
Nope, unfortunately it wouldn't, UNLESS I had a Camper shell, then it'd work. That system is based on a box that is 20" tall, the decked system is 12" tall so that would put the box way up past the tailgate. So to change my answer, Yes, it technically could work but it'd be ugly lol.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Well.. I was offered a deal I couldn't pass up so I'm currently running a Decked system.. I'll be selling it when I'm done building out my custom setup but for now it's doing a great job storing my stuff and keeping the wife off my *** now that it's not all stacked up all over the garage!

View attachment 59960
Man, that looks dope. Congrats.

Techna

Reaction score
Tex_Ram,
What did you use to calibrate your speedo after the swap to 37s?

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
Tex_Ram,
What did you use to calibrate your speedo after the swap to 37s?
I am only running 35's and I haven't calibrated speedo yet because there was rumor's that it'd automatically calibrate on the 5th Gens however I've put enough miles on it now to believe that it's never going to happen lol.. I'll probably just order the Rough Country calibrator.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
I am only running 35's and I haven't calibrated speedo yet because there was rumor's that it'd automatically calibrate on the 5th Gens however I've put enough miles on it now to believe that it's never going to happen lol.. I'll probably just order the Rough Country calibrator.

Same here; I found that at +60 mph, I am running 4 mph faster based on my GPS compared to the vehicle's computer calculations. Guess I should just pull the trigger too.

P.S. Great build you got going!

Techna

Reaction score
I must have confused your truck with another overland centric truck on this forum that sits on 37s. Embarrassing because I’ve paid attention to your Texas based build as closely as Desert Dawg’s. I thought mine had recalibrated itsel, but realized that the speedometer only matched what I thought was GPS calculated speed through Waze when connected through CarPlay. Unplug the cord and only then does Waze display GPS calculated speed. I think I’ll pull the trigger on a Rough Country calibrator and see if I can get a little drivability back after my swap to 35s. Some have said that properly setting tire diameter improved their transmission shift points/feel, and in addition to proper speedometer and odometer reading, that’s something I’d really like.

Users who are viewing this thread