5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Limited droning on highway

tyresmoker

Reaction score
2020 Ram Limited diesel. Getting a strange oscillating/humming sound coming from the back of the cab at about 70mph. Dropping into neutral at speed does not stop the noise, so I do not believe it is driveline related. You can actually hear it faintly start at about 65mph and fade away over 75-78mph. Not sure if it is the active noise cancellation out of phase. I think I am noticing it because the rest of the truck is so quiet! Anyone else experiencing this?

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
Tire whine?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
I have the same noise in my limited ecodiesel. Almost sounds like the rear end gear has a bad mesh. I'm bringing it in... maybe/hopefully just an ANC flash.

tyresmoker

Reaction score
I have the same noise in my limited ecodiesel. Almost sounds like the rear end gear has a bad mesh. I'm bringing it in... maybe/hopefully just an ANC flash.
Interesting. Please keep me posted on your progress.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
2020 Ram Limited diesel. Getting a strange oscillating/humming sound coming from the back of the cab at about 70mph. Dropping into neutral at speed does not stop the noise, so I do not believe it is driveline related. You can actually hear it faintly start at about 65mph and fade away over 75-78mph. Not sure if it is the active noise cancellation out of phase. I think I am noticing it because the rest of the truck is so quiet! Anyone else experiencing this?
Welcome to the failed ANC club! Most likely. I am taking my truck in this Thursday for the third time now.

Hi all,

If you proceed with working with your dealers for this concern, please reach out to us via private message. We would like to have your concerns formally documented and connect you with case managers who can work alongside you and your dealers for that process.

Mark
RamCares

cbecra1

Reaction score
I have the same thing and its going to the shop tommorow...mine is at 48-52 mph....a hum from the rear. I unplugged the anc module and it was still there. I think its just a little bit of whine from the 3.92 rear end. I had a trans am back in the day w/ 4.10 and it made the same sound only 10 times louder.

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
Went to dealer today. They put it on the hoist and it seems to be coming from the driveshaft. They ordered one for me. Backordered of course...

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
Hi all,

If you proceed with working with your dealers for this concern, please reach out to us via private message. We would like to have your concerns formally documented and connect you with case managers who can work alongside you and your dealers for that process.

Mark
RamCares

PM sent @RamCares

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the same thing and its going to the shop tommorow...mine is at 48-52 mph....a hum from the rear. I unplugged the anc module and it was still there. I think its just a little bit of whine from the 3.92 rear end. I had a trans am back in the day w/ 4.10 and it made the same sound only 10 times louder.

Hi cbecra1, please be sure to keep us updated on your dealer's findings. We are just a PM away if you are in need of any extra support while in service.

Thank you for doing so, Hrspwr88! I just had a chance to follow up.

Mark
RamCares

cbecra1

Reaction score
Dealer says its operating as designed. I am taking it back and am insisting on driving with the service advisor next time. I have pm'd ram cares.

airgas1998

Reaction score
if it's truly a ring/pinion whine let off on the go pedal and if it disappears.... then yep that would be it...and regardless if you had 4:10's or not a properly "set" rear end will have no noise...

rorischak

Reaction score
i have the 3.92 and the diesel and don't have that sound. So I would not consider that to be 'normal'

tyresmoker

Reaction score
if it's truly a ring/pinion whine let off on the go pedal and if it disappears.... then yep that would be it...and regardless if you had 4:10's or not a properly "set" rear end will have no noise...
Agree 100%..Mine is there regardless of throttle input. It is purely speed related. I can put the truck in neutral at 75mph and the oscillating drone is there.....

Users who are viewing this thread