5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 EcoDiesel - I Know That's Not Diesel Exhaust I Smell!

Rhombus

Reaction score
The dealer where I purchased the vehicle is 2 hours away. I took it to them 1st for the diesel smell. They put me in a loaner, kept the truck for 4 days then informed me that they could not smell any diesel exhaust odor. The 2nd and 3rd visits were to my local dealer. The 2nd visit (1st visit to local dealer) yielded the same results; they said there was no odor that they could detect. I contacted FCA/RAM Customer care and informed them of the issue and the seemingly unmotivated responses from the dealerships. I setup a 3rd visit (2nd visit to the local dealership) along with a RAM Customer care case manager in alignment. On the 3rd visit, they were able to find the fault--this was with the aid of a referenced STAR case. The findings were as follows:

View attachment 47738

DTC P26FB: The service adviser says that the tech observed a physically bent/deformed EGR tubing. They estimate that it occurred at the factory during or prior to assembly.

I can tell a difference in the intensity of the exhaust odor, it has lessened. But, this is while at idle after the truck has been operating for a while. However, when I cold-start up the truck and until it warms up, the exhaust odor is just as intense as it was before the fix. Again, it's quite noticeable until the engine warms up.

So, it's back to the dealership for a 4th attempt along with informing RAM Care. I am trying to see the issue through on this truck--will see how long before my resolve is exhausted (a little pun); laughing to keep from crying.

Interim mitigative steps towards the pursuit of breathing clean air while driving the truck:
1. Remove the standard cabin air filter
2. Replace with Cleenaire CAF6831 The Most Advanced Protection Against Dust, Smog, Gases, Odors and Allergens, Double Carbon Cabin Air Filter For 16-18 Ram 1500 2500 3500 . I purchased this at Amazon

I don't detect any in-cabin diesel exhaust odor with this filter installed even though the odor still persist on the outside.
Awesome information. I VERY much appreciate this. I LOVE going in armed! Thanks

Rhombus

Reaction score
Well, here's how it went today.
1. All the "tests" passed
2. We don't smell it
3. The start case number I gave them from rbdennis - doesn't exist per the dealer
4. In fact, there are NO star cases ANYWHERE about exhaust smells from the front of the ecodiesel
5. Therefore Mr. Owner Sir, the problem DOES NOT EXIST

Opening my own case shortly. This is absurd. The front seat could be missing and they'd tell you the computer doesn't find any issues with the truck.

OleNavyMane

Reaction score
2. We don't smell it
3. The start case number I gave them from rbdennis - doesn't exist per the dealer
4. In fact, there are NO star cases ANYWHERE about exhaust smells from the front of the ecodiesel

Opening my own case shortly. This is absurd. The front seat could be missing and they'd tell you the computer doesn't find any issues with the truck.
Be sure to reference the star cases when you open your case. There's the star case that was referenced to assist my issue and there's the star case that was created as a result of my issue and supposed fix, both star case #s are visible in the partial service ticket previously posted.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
2. We don't smell it

Hey Dwbox,

Just had a chance to respond to your PM on this!

Mark
RamCares

Rhombus

Reaction score
I've responded back/ just now. Thanks VERY much for getting back with me. I DO appreciate it and am impressed that we made the connection via the forum.

Seaeco

Reaction score
The dealer where I purchased the vehicle is 2 hours away. I took it to them 1st for the diesel smell. They put me in a loaner, kept the truck for 4 days then informed me that they could not smell any diesel exhaust odor. The 2nd and 3rd visits were to my local dealer. The 2nd visit (1st visit to local dealer) yielded the same results; they said there was no odor that they could detect. I contacted FCA/RAM Customer care and informed them of the issue and the seemingly unmotivated responses from the dealerships. I setup a 3rd visit (2nd visit to the local dealership) along with a RAM Customer care case manager in alignment. On the 3rd visit, they were able to find the fault--this was with the aid of a referenced STAR case. The findings were as follows:

View attachment 47738

DTC P26FB: The service adviser says that the tech observed a physically bent/deformed EGR tubing. They estimate that it occurred at the factory during or prior to assembly.

I can tell a difference in the intensity of the exhaust odor, it has lessened. But, this is while at idle after the truck has been operating for a while. However, when I cold-start up the truck and until it warms up, the exhaust odor is just as intense as it was before the fix. Again, it's quite noticeable until the engine warms up.

So, it's back to the dealership for a 4th attempt along with informing RAM Care. I am trying to see the issue through on this truck--will see how long before my resolve is exhausted (a little pun); laughing to keep from crying.

Interim mitigative steps towards the pursuit of breathing clean air while driving the truck:
1. Remove the standard cabin air filter
2. Replace with Cleenaire CAF6831 The Most Advanced Protection Against Dust, Smog, Gases, Odors and Allergens, Double Carbon Cabin Air Filter For 16-18 Ram 1500 2500 3500 . I purchased this at Amazon

I don't detect any in-cabin diesel exhaust odor with this filter installed even though the odor still persist on the outside.
Did installing this filter negatively impact airflow through the vents during heating or cooling? Thank you.

OleNavyMane

Reaction score
Did installing this filter negatively impact airflow through the vents during heating or cooling? Thank you.
The airflow does appear to be a bit less per speed setting; it comes across subtly. This is far outweighed by the clean air flowing into the cabin.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congrats on your truck order. I have less than 300 miles so far but with that, I'm seeing 23 mpg in town and on the two highway trips (from and back to the dealer) I'm seeing 29 mpg @ 70mph. No fill ups yet so those numbers are per the trucks calculations. I'm in the same camp as you regarding the 3.21 for improved mileage but I thought what the heck, I'll live a little with the 3.92s.

Yeah, I wanted the 3.92s because the way I figure it, around town it'll actually help mileage, and towing a trailer it'll help. The only time it may hurt at all is running unloaded at 70 MPH+.

Rhombus

Reaction score
I wanted to give everyone an update on this. I changed dealers and went to Mak Haik in Georgetown, TX. I've also been working with FCA Care. Tony, the Service writer and Dylon, the diesel mechanic have been awesome. They smelled the diesel. All tests passed. They engaged FCA Engineering. We even compared to a new truck on the lot. Couldn't find the source. They brought the truck back and photographed everything the engineers could think of. Took it back yesterday as the engineers had some recommendations. They found the EGT Sensor near the front of the DPF was not threaded correctly and there WAS a leak. They replaced it. I ran the truck early this morning and no smell. Fingers crossed.......

This took a few weeks and I didn't mind the back and forth as these guys were WORKING with me, not telling me I didn't have an issue. In my mind this was one off issue. Unfortunate, but it happens. The main thing is FCA and the guys at Mac Haik worked with me to resolve. BTW, the case with FCA was initiated through this forum. They ARE watching. :)

RamCares

Reaction score
I wanted to give everyone an update on this. I changed dealers and went to Mak Haik in Georgetown, TX. I've also been working with FCA Care. Tony, the Service writer and Dylon, the diesel mechanic have been awesome. They smelled the diesel. All tests passed. They engaged FCA Engineering. We even compared to a new truck on the lot. Couldn't find the source. They brought the truck back and photographed everything the engineers could think of. Took it back yesterday as the engineers had some recommendations. They found the EGT Sensor near the front of the DPF was not threaded correctly and there WAS a leak. They replaced it. I ran the truck early this morning and no smell. Fingers crossed.......

This took a few weeks and I didn't mind the back and forth as these guys were WORKING with me, not telling me I didn't have an issue. In my mind this was one off issue. Unfortunate, but it happens. The main thing is FCA and the guys at Mac Haik worked with me to resolve. BTW, the case with FCA was initiated through this forum. They ARE watching. :)

Thank you for taking the time to share this update, @Dwbox! If we can ever be of any additional assistance down the road, we are always a private message away.

Mark
RamCares

RamCares

Reaction score
I was working with Anna along with the dealer. I’m quite pleased with the support.

That is exactly what we want to hear so I really do appreciate you letting me know!

Mark
RamCares

OleNavyMane

Reaction score

Rhombus,

Would you be able to post a copy of your service ticket that shows the fix the dealer applied that resolved your diesel exhaust smell issue? I am still dealing with the diesel exhaust issue even though they already replaced a part. I was reading back through this post looking for any other ideas and your post shows promise for a fix.

What is the effected part (number)? Did they have to re-thread the sensor hook-up area since it was mis-threaded? How long did the dealer have to keep your truck to take care of the issue?

Thanks again for any information you are able to provide.

Rhombus

Reaction score
I am sorry......but I can't find that dang ticket. I found every other ticket. I'll keep looking. They replaced the EGT sensor near the front of the DPF. It wasn't threaded correctly, they replaced it. Once they identified the issue, they had it fixed in a day. But it took 3 trips over several weeks as the dealer tried different things per the FCA engineers. They even took photos of the various components and submitted to the engineers. It seemed it was mainly a cold wether issue, so I guess the real results will come out this winter. I have over 13K miles now though and haven't had the smell issue since this repair. If I can find the ticket, I surely will post. Thanks.

OleNavyMane

Reaction score
No problems, thanks for replying. Do you happen to recall if the EGT sensor is located at the passenger side? I notice the smell mainly and most strong at the passenger side and the engine seems to be a little louder also on the passenger side (when listening to it at idle while standing outside the vehicle).

pyl16349

Reaction score
I am having the same issue on my 2016 Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel. The dealer is telling me they don't smell anything. It is a faint smell in the cab when driving, but it is extremely strong smell when the car is idling or after shutting it down in the garage-- coming from the engine bay. This is not normal. I've got a 2017 Ram EcoDiesel as well and you can not smell a hint of exhaust anywhere around the truck. I love these vehicles, but the emissions management system is proving to be nothing but a problem-- multiple recalls, failures, etc.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wanted to give an update here. I ended up filing a lemon law case on my truck.

I won. Opted for replacement. It's a good day.
Congrats, hope the new one is flawless.

Users who are viewing this thread