5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 big horn tailgate won’t close

Mirowpl

Reaction score
My new 2020 tailgate won’t close at times. This has happened about 5 or 6 times, until the other day went to shut it and it slammed back down and jumped out of the bottom hinges. Then it pulled the tailgate plastic electrical junction out, snapping the retaining clip and broke the plastic trim piece. It hit the top of the rear bumper and scratched the bottom of tailgate. Not happy camper. I took it to the dealer and they had it back in less that an hour. Said tailgate needed adjustments and they put the junction piece back. That seemed odd as it was broken. So I go to open the tailgate and all they did was push the plastic junction piece back in but not secured to anything. I was not happy then I go to shut the tailgate and of course it doesn’t shut. Got the service writer over to look at it and he was upset at the junction and said he would order the parts. He the went back to the tech to discuss the tailgate. Came back and said I need to take it to the body shop at their other dealership. So there I went. Body shop manager looked at it with me for almost an hour. Basically the tailgate is moving too much side to side and when it gets too far right it will not lock. He has to talk to my service writer and tech support to see what to do. He is thinking the bottom hing is not working properly. He took pictures of everything and my vin and mileage so everything is documented.

anyone have any ideas as to what the problem is? Or how to fix. Thanks

Mirowpl

Reaction score
Any ram cares members out there? I am being told that it will take 3 to 4 weeks for ram to approved the warranty work that has to done to my tailgate. This is not acceptable.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for the shoutout @Richard320 ! We're glad to have you as a part of our Ram Brand family .

@Mirowpl -- We're extremely sorry to hear about the inconveniences you've been experiencing but we're glad you brought this to our attention. If you don't mind, we'd like to look into this a little further! If you'd like additional assistance while working with your dealer, please feel free to send our RamCares team a private message with your current mileage & VIN. We can get started from there.

Courtney
Ram Cares

deepc6

Reaction score
My truck is having the same issues, do you happen to know what parts was changed?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Obviously body shop to fix the scratches. And replace broken parts. Maybe a shim or washer or two to limit the hinge play and keep the latches lined up. And I might suggest to add the damper kit so the tailgate can't fall open fast.

Sgehl44

Reaction score
Has there ever been a fix for this problem? Mine does the same, was told by the dealer that it was the fault of me not installing my tonneau cover correctly. Have been extremely frustrated in nobody being able to diagnose this issue when I can actually shown them how the tailgate moves left to right!

CatDaddy66

Reaction score
There was a recall for tailgates not staying closed or latching properly. I'm guessing the vehicle has the recall complied with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online