5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Big Horn - Not mean looking... help

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is nice! You did a great job and inspired me. I really do like the truck a bunch. It has just about everything I "really" need.. minus the look which like you, I think I can modify. Waiting on the grill and fender to start with. I will also look at painting some chrome. What did you use to match the black as it looks really spot on. I usually go matte black just due to I like the look but also due to never being able to match it.
Instead of painting the chrome, just buy the factory black pieces and swap them outz or see if there is someone local that has black parts but wants chrome.

Another option would be a black vinyl wrap. Will hold up better than paint and won't chip as easy showing the chrome.

Personally not a fan of the "TRX" style grill, because it doesn't really give the look, and if everything else is still chrome will look even worse.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is nice! You did a great job and inspired me. I really do like the truck a bunch. It has just about everything I "really" need.. minus the look which like you, I think I can modify. Waiting on the grill and fender to start with. I will also look at painting some chrome. What did you use to match the black as it looks really spot on. I usually go matte black just due to I like the look but also due to never being able to match it.
The grille was swapped for an OEM paintable one (came primer gray). The bumpers were bead blasted to remove the chrome then painted with matched paint (I think that year used PXR for brilliant black pearl).
The emblems and fuel door were bead blasted just enough to give them some texture for the paint to adhere to, then I put a coat of adhesion promotor on before hitting them with paint.
I did the extra effort on the grille and bumpers because I know they take the most abuse from weather, road debris, etc. and I didn't want them to peal.
When it comes to chrome, you can paint it, but you've got to do the prep work. Either scuff it good and use adhesion promotor specifically designed to work with/on chrome or strip it all together. I have found that chromed metal is easy enough to prep and paint, but chromed plastic is a bit tougher. Which is why I painted the bumpers but swapped the grille.

joemo

Reaction score
The grille was swapped for an OEM paintable one (came primer gray). The bumpers were bead blasted to remove the chrome then painted with matched paint (I think that year used PXR for brilliant black pearl).
The emblems and fuel door were bead blasted just enough to give them some texture for the paint to adhere to, then I put a coat of adhesion promotor on before hitting them with paint.
I did the extra effort on the grille and bumpers because I know they take the most abuse from weather, road debris, etc. and I didn't want them to peal.
When it comes to chrome, you can paint it, but you've got to do the prep work. Either scuff it good and use adhesion promotor specifically designed to work with/on chrome or strip it all together. I have found that chromed metal is easy enough to prep and paint, but chromed plastic is a bit tougher. Which is why I painted the bumpers but swapped the grille.
Wow, thanks for the tips. I am going to post locally (central florida) to see if anyone would like to swap some parts first.

joemo

Reaction score
Well, Did the body armor bumper, TRX grill. Need to hook all the lights up yet and remove the air dam.

The air dam kills the front look. Took over 8 hours today in 94 degree heat. Had my boys help me a bit. The BA bumper was very heavy compared to stock.

IMG_2211.JPG.jpeg

pkman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, Did the body armor bumper, TRX grill. Need to hook all the lights up yet and remove the air dam.

The air dam kills the front look. Took over 8 hours today in 94 degree heat. Had my boys help me a bit. The BA bumper was very heavy compared to stock.

View attachment 137439
Where did you get the TRX grill from. I take it that this is a replica that fits the Bighorn?

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can you scoot the letters closer together? It would probably replicate the look a little better.

1661182190904.png

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Use double sided tape. Looks horrible the way the letters are spaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BigD

Reaction score
I can't believe all the people on here who buy a truck with chrome & then pay all this money to remove the chrome. Why not buy a blacked out truck to begin with ? I also think the front end of the Rebels look like a cheap Warlock. And please don't be like all the people who lift their trucks & add bigger tires & then complain about gas mileage, road noise, or handling. 🙄

joemo

Reaction score
I can't believe all the people on here who buy a truck with chrome & then pay all this money to remove the chrome. Why not buy a blacked out truck to begin with ? I also think the front end of the Rebels look like a cheap Warlock. And please don't be like all the people who lift their trucks & add bigger tires & then complain about gas mileage, road noise, or handling. 🙄
I agree but this was my choice. This one, wait longer, or an f150. If I would have waited, it would have resulted in another payment on my old vehicle and value changes in trade/purchase. There was more to the decision. Speaking of mileage... this big horn is getting over 15 mpg with 33in tires where my Rebel was lucky to climb out of the 12s. So very strange since both are same engine.

joemo

Reaction score
Use double sided tape. Looks horrible the way the letters are spaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
not even 3m would hold the letters on that cleanly.. I wouldn't say it looks horrible. Honestly the spacing is not crazy wide. I think the wideness actually accentuates the wider stance.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

View attachment 137439

When I first looked at this pic, I thought it was a really narrow covered bridge. :LOL: Is it some sort of car port with a steep floor??

joemo

Reaction score
When I first looked at this pic, I thought it was a really narrow covered bridge. :LOL: Is it some sort of car port with a steep floor??
lol, yes. Previous home owner store their motorhome or boat in there. Its quite tall. Been looking at adding on to the back of it with a steel building and then putting a door on the front.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't believe all the people on here who buy a truck with chrome & then pay all this money to remove the chrome. Why not buy a blacked out truck to begin with ?...
Because some times that's not an option. Or maybe it's cheaper to buy it with the chrome and swap out parts later. Or maybe there's some other reason to do it.
  • It may be all there is. As joemo said, that was the option that was available.
  • I may be cheaper. When I bought my '07 and swapped out all the chrome, it was because the dealership quoted a price using the wrong truck (long story). They honored the quoted price undercutting the actual cost thousands of dollars. It was way cheaper to buy the chromed truck and swap for black parts.
  • They may be planning on modifying when they buy it. Someone may also be planning on replacing things like wheels and/or tires with aftermarket parts (very common mods). It's typically cheaper to buy chrome parts than opting for painted ones. Why pay extra to swap out painted parts for aftermarket parts.
  • Maybe they changed their mind. It's certainly possible they liked the chrome and grew tired of it or decided they liked painted better. It's cheaper to swap parts than to swap trucks.
I'm sure the reasons for doing so goes on and on. There's just 4 reasons to not order a blacked out truck to begin with.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 137439
that air dam is super easy to remove, as far as getting a cel light/code or message from removing it, its a toss up.
Some members are getting them and other don't

joemo

Reaction score
Ok, next update. Painted the ram letters, hooked up the led fog lights to the stock harness, marker lights and removed the air dam. Big lightbar is next.. I need to get all this stuff up for sale soon too.. lol

IMG_2344.JPG

Pyrotik

Reaction score
trl grill, plus lights, plus remove air dams
I'm assuming you've removed yours? I just did mine today and I'm worried about the plugs that connected the electronic one. I taped them off them up really well but feel like that's not just safe enough.

Pyrotik

Reaction score
Ok, next update. Painted the ram letters, hooked up the led fog lights to the stock harness, marker lights and removed the air dam. Big lightbar is next.. I need to get all this stuff up for sale soon too.. lol

View attachment 138472
Looks amazing love the black and red. What did you do about the electronic air dam plugs?

Users who are viewing this thread