5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Big Horn - Not mean looking... help

Brunzca

Reaction score
Looks amazing love the black and red. What did you do about the electronic air dam plugs?
There’s another thread (or multiples) about the air dam removal. When I took mine off, I taped the electric plug off really well, then zip tied it up as high as I could. So far, so good - and I’ve had it off for quite a while. (Of course, going to dealership this morning for oil change, so may have just jinxed myself.. lol)

joemo

Reaction score
Looks amazing love the black and red. What did you do about the electronic air dam plugs?
So far, It is just disconnected. I have the entire dam sitting with the front bumper. No CELs yet.. but I have a decent drive tomorrow... so fingers crossed.

Pyrotik

Reaction score
So far, It is just disconnected. I have the entire dam sitting with the front bumper. No CELs yet.. but I have a decent drive tomorrow... so fingers crossed.
So the plugs can get water in them and be ok? I was worried about it and put electrical tape all around it but still worried it may get water and short circuit or something lol

Pyrotik

Reaction score
There’s another thread (or multiples) about the air dam removal. When I took mine off, I taped the electric plug off really well, then zip tied it up as high as I could. So far, so good - and I’ve had it off for quite a while. (Of course, going to dealership this morning for oil change, so may have just jinxed myself.. lol)
I'm wondering if I should put some heated shrink wrap on it so like realllyyy secure it. Everyone says they tape it which is what I did, but still worry about water getting in and causing an issue.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I should put some heated shrink wrap on it so like realllyyy secure it. Everyone says they tape it which is what I did, but still worry about water getting in and causing an issue.
You may have more issues with it being taped or wrapped and holding moisture in than just eating it hang. It won't short out unless you are driving through salt water, and leaving it unwrapped, it will dry out faster if it does get wet. Where as being wrapped it will hold moisture in and can cause more issues with corrosion

Pyrotik

Reaction score
You may have more issues with it being taped or wrapped and holding moisture in than just eating it hang. It won't short out unless you are driving through salt water, and leaving it unwrapped, it will dry out faster if it does get wet. Where as being wrapped it will hold moisture in and can cause more issues with corrosion
Good point, so I take it these connectors can get wet and not be a problem? Is that for sure or just your best guess?
I wasn't sure if when they are connected they are protected from water completely or not. Of course if I'm not using it, corrosion isn't a huge concern I just don't want error codes.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good point, so I take it these connectors can get wet and not be a problem? Is that for sure or just your best guess?
I wasn't sure if when they are connected they are protected from water completely or not. Of course if I'm not using it, corrosion isn't a huge concern I just don't want error codes.
When they are connected, there are seals as part of connector to keep it from getting wet where the ci tacta are.

On my 2000 Dakota, I have had my rear O2 sensor connector zip tied to the top of the frame rail without being wrapped for almost 20 years without issue. It used to be my daily driver in the Midwest, including driving in snow/ice in winterz and thunderstorms in summer.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm assuming you've removed yours? I just did mine today and I'm worried about the plugs that connected the electronic one. I taped them off them up really well but feel like that's not just safe enough.
I did remove mine and have been planning the suggestion by another member but for now it is taped up real good. Here is a link

Pyrotik

Reaction score
I did remove mine and have been planning the suggestion by another member but for now it is taped up real good. Here is a link

Did you take off the motors and stuff too or just the plastic piece? I only took off the plastic piece and left the rod/motor intact.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you take off the motors and stuff too or just the plastic piece? I only took off the plastic piece and left the rod/motor intact.
I removed everything. I think another member posted about removing everything but the motor. Haven't relook at mine and will probably just leave as is now. Good point about the moisture from HSKR R/T
It had croos my mind
20220611_225702.jpg 20220807_125041.jpg 20220830_190403.jpg

Pyrotik

Reaction score
I removed everything. I think another member posted about removing everything but the motor. Haven't relook at mine and will probably just leave as is now. Good point about the moisture from HSKR R/T
It had croos my mind
View attachment 138589 View attachment 138588 View attachment 138587
Hmm maybe I'll get back underneath it today and remove the motor as well so I only have one cord to worry about. Was removing the motor and pain the butt?

Also, sexy *** truck man. I need to get myself some new tires to look rugged like that but I want to buy LED headlights first

Bob.

Reaction score
Just put Dielectric Grease for electrical connectors in the plug then forget about it. It should water proof it and keep it clean if you ever what to re-attach it.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmm maybe I'll get back underneath it today and remove the motor as well so I only have one cord to worry about. Was removing the motor and pain the butt?

Also, sexy *** truck man. I need to get myself some new tires to look rugged like that but I want to buy LED headlights first
thanks, super easy 2 bolts on each side if I remember correctly

Louhound88

Reaction score
thanks, super easy 2 bolts on each side if I remember correctly
How long have you had yours off for? I've never really looked into the pros/cons of taking off these air dams but after seeing yours and a few others just now I'm ready to rip mine off today after work. lol.

From the front is there anything hanging too low that can be seen? Like something that makes it obvious the air dam was supposed to be there but removed?

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How long have you had yours off for? I've never really looked into the pros/cons of taking off these air dams but after seeing yours and a few others just now I'm ready to rip mine off today after work. lol.

From the front is there anything hanging too low that can be seen? Like something that makes it obvious the air dam was supposed to be there but removed?

You can see the crossmember and LCA's easier, but nothing else. Some guys are concerned about the front of the engine being vulnerable to debris with them removed.

Louhound88

Reaction score
You can see the crossmember and LCA's easier, but nothing else. Some guys are concerned about the front of the engine being vulnerable to debris with them removed.
Ah ok. Seeing more LCA's would be cool. I could see more road trash flying up maybe. I'll crawl around later and see how bad that would be.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You beat me to it.
3 months off with mine. Looking at others rams and my old pictures i can say i like both looks with and without.
I really didn't notice my mpg geeting worst.
Yes a few members have done custom front skid plates.
Maybe cabin feels i bit noisier at high way speeds
I have not gotten any lights or codes althought some members did after removal
Here is another pic of what Idahoktm mentioned
20220612_125203.jpg

Brunzca

Reaction score
Another example -pic isn’t great, but you get the idea, nothing hanging down or showing

13D5C738-2437-4BC0-A45A-99933531C78B.jpeg

Louhound88

Reaction score
You beat me to it.
3 months off with mine. Looking at others rams and my old pictures i can say i like both looks with and without.
I really didn't notice my mpg geeting worst.
Yes a few members have done custom front skid plates.
Maybe cabin feels i bit noisier at high way speeds
I have not gotten any lights or codes althought some members did after removal
Here is another pic of what Idahoktm mentioned
View attachment 138602
Yeah that looks really good. I can already sorta see my LCA's as my tires are tall, but definitely like how it looks seeing them more. I already have lots of highway road noise between tires and radio, so probably won't notice any increase lol. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread