5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 1500 Laramie 5.7 Hemi, Rear Window leak

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update: Just picked up truck from dealer. Replaced third brake light and rear window. So far(sprayed with hose) seems to be ok.
1) If you you take to dealer have TSB in hand
2) Using VIN , have them verify your truck is covered
3) If you skip 1 and 2, you will argue with dealer... :)

Thank you for TSB info!!!
The coverages are in your VIP, shows up every time the vehicle is written up for service.

wswram1500

Reaction score
Maybe I am missing something, but isn't that just a picture of the trim that runs along the roof? The plastic frame of the window that is problematic is between the rear window itself and the body of the truck, correct?
Yes that is where my issue was....

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 am having the same issue, I took my truck to the dealer and they confirmed that water is leaking through the back window. They said my vehicle is not covered because the build date of the vehicle was 2018!!?? I told him that on the TSB it says ANYTHING built on or before Sept 30, 2020 is covered. He referred it to the Service Manager and he denied the coverage!!?? I also have an extended warranty which I am still in. I opened a customer case with Ram Cares but not sure what will happen with that. How the hell can they get away with that crap??

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 am having the same issue, I took my truck to the dealer and they confirmed that water is leaking through the back window. They said my vehicle is not covered because the build date of the vehicle was 2018!!?? I told him that on the TSB it says ANYTHING built on or before Sept 30, 2020 is covered. He referred it to the Service Manager and he denied the coverage!!?? I also have an extended warranty which I am still in. I opened a customer case with Ram Cares but not sure what will happen with that. How the hell can they get away with that crap??
Complete bs, go to a different dealer.

Reaction score
Complete bs, go to a different dealer.
The problem I am thinking with that is that I just picked up my truck today from the first dealer. Since it's not covered I had to pay the diagnosis fee. If I go to another dealer and they don't cover it, I will have to pay their diagnosis fee. I picked up the official paper work today and in the paper work they said it was denied "because of a grey area matter of the truck build date of 2018." When the hell were the 2019s supposed to be built!!?? I'm still floored by this decision.......

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The problem I am thinking with that is that I just picked up my truck today from the first dealer. Since it's not covered I had to pay the diagnosis fee. If I go to another dealer and they don't cover it, I will have to pay their diagnosis fee. I picked up the official paper work today and in the paper work they said it was denied "because of a grey area matter of the truck build date of 2018." When the hell were the 2019s supposed to be built!!?? I'm still floored by this decision.......
That suckss.
My 2019 was build in April 2018, bought it in August 2018.
Received the extended warranty notification letters couple weeks ago.
I am the original owner, had the first rear window replaced under warranty in 2020 I believe.

Reaction score
That suckss.
My 2019 was build in April 2018, bought it in August 2018.
Received the extended warranty notification letters couple weeks ago.
I am the original owner, had the first rear window replaced under warranty in 2020 I believe.
I received the extended warranty for the 3rd brake light but not for the back windshield, I wonder why I didn't get that one. My build date was in 12/2018.

Reaction score
So I went in to the dealership to talk with the Service Manager. We discussed the issue and I pointed out how there is no gray area as to why my truck should not be covered for the rear window replacement.....it's very black and white. I gave him the Ram Customer Service case number and he said he will investigate and get back to me. To his credit he did get back to me but I was not entirely happy with the response. He said he spoke to the Area Manager and they have decided to cover it under a "Good Will" gesture with a $225 deductible. Again, I am not satisfied with this answer but it does save me money for a fix. I still have to inquire about a few things....since they consider this a "Good Will" if it doesn't fix the issue, will this be covered under the TSB or is it a "one time only"....and a few other things to ask.....thoughts?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I went in to the dealership to talk with the Service Manager. We discussed the issue and I pointed out how there is no gray area as to why my truck should not be covered for the rear window replacement.....it's very black and white. I gave him the Ram Customer Service case number and he said he will investigate and get back to me. To his credit he did get back to me but I was not entirely happy with the response. He said he spoke to the Area Manager and they have decided to cover it under a "Good Will" gesture with a $225 deductible. Again, I am not satisfied with this answer but it does save me money for a fix. I still have to inquire about a few things....since they consider this a "Good Will" if it doesn't fix the issue, will this be covered under the TSB or is it a "one time only"....and a few other things to ask.....thoughts?
You paid a diagnostic fee and you are getting the back glass replaced at the same dealer? If that is a yes, then they should stand behind their diagnostic fee they charged you. If it still leaks, then they say it's the third brake light leaking. Then all money spent should be returned to you. Good luck with that happening.

Are they using the current part# or the extended coverage part #?

Reaction score
You paid a diagnostic fee and you are getting the back glass replaced at the same dealer? If that is a yes, then they should stand behind their diagnostic fee they charged you. If it still leaks, then they say it's the third brake light leaking. Then all money spent should be returned to you. Good luck with that happening.

Are they using the current part# or the extended coverage part #?
I paid a diagnostic fee to identify why the head liner was wet. The dealer confirmed the water was coming through the rear window and under the description of TSB 23-098-23 my truck is absolutely covered. The dealership said that "because of my build date of 12/2018 it's not covered" when they enter my VIN in the computer. (makes no sense and there is no explanation) I have an existing Ram Customer Care case opened and they are supposedly trying to get answers from the dealership but have not heard anything. Ram Customer Care said they contacted Mopar and Mopar said it should be covered but getting escalations through Ram Customer Care is like pulling teeth. I provided that case number to the dealer. The dealer is now saying that through " A Good Will Gesture" they will replace the rear windshield for a $225 deductible. I have asked the delaer if my original diagnostic fee will go toward that but I have not heard back yet. I know this is complete BS, but it seems as if this is where we are at....dealers can just refuse because the computer says so. Dealer is saying that Warranty Extension is not coming up under my VIN and if Mopar wont't cover it they won't get paid. If my diagnostic fee doesn't go toward the deductible I am a lot more hesitant as this will end up costing me around $550 anyway. Unbelieveable they can just decline but I guess this is the way Ram operates.....

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I paid a diagnostic fee to identify why the head liner was wet. The dealer confirmed the water was coming through the rear window and under the description of TSB 23-098-23 my truck is absolutely covered. The dealership said that "because of my build date of 12/2018 it's not covered" when they enter my VIN in the computer. (makes no sense and there is no explanation) I have an existing Ram Customer Care case opened and they are supposedly trying to get answers from the dealership but have not heard anything. Ram Customer Care said they contacted Mopar and Mopar said it should be covered but getting escalations through Ram Customer Care is like pulling teeth. I provided that case number to the dealer. The dealer is now saying that through " A Good Will Gesture" they will replace the rear windshield for a $225 deductible. I have asked the delaer if my original diagnostic fee will go toward that but I have not heard back yet. I know this is complete BS, but it seems as if this is where we are at....dealers can just refuse because the computer says so. Dealer is saying that Warranty Extension is not coming up under my VIN and if Mopar wont't cover it they won't get paid. If my diagnostic fee doesn't go toward the deductible I am a lot more hesitant as this will end up costing me around $550 anyway. Unbelieveable they can just decline but I guess this is the way Ram operates.....
I was told by someone to get the dealership to get the regional rep involved. I did that and they are covering my rear window at 0 cost to me after being told initially it wasn’t going to be covered. I was told by ram cares and I quote “that the extended warranty doesn’t show up on my truck because the manufacturer only granted warranty to 2019-2020 RAM 1500's with a "GFE" or "GFD" sales code for the rear window glass. You have a "GFES" sales code for your rear window glass.” Ram cares offered to cover about 800 of the rear window replacement leaving me with a portion of $418

Reaction score
I was told by someone to get the dealership to get the regional rep involved. I did that and they are covering my rear window at 0 cost to me after being told initially it wasn’t going to be covered. I was told by ram cares and I quote “that the extended warranty doesn’t show up on my truck because the manufacturer only granted warranty to 2019-2020 RAM 1500's with a "GFE" or "GFD" sales code for the rear window glass. You have a "GFES" sales code for your rear window glass.” Ram cares offered to cover about 800 of the rear window replacement leaving me with a portion of $418
@Ellisstrong how did you get the regional rep involved? The dealer Service Manager said he contacted the Area Manager and that they agreed upon the $225 deductible and a "Good Will Gesture". I'm assuming the Regional Rep and Area Manager would be the same thing......

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
@Ellisstrong how did you get the regional rep involved? The dealer Service Manager said he contacted the Area Manager and that they agreed upon the $225 deductible and a "Good Will Gesture". I'm assuming the Regional Rep and Area Manager would be the same thing......
I talked to my service manager and told him that it didn’t make sense that my truck wouldn’t be covered when they only make two types of windows and my truck falls in the production timeline and told him that it was recommended to get the regional rep involved. I’m not sure is that is the same as the area manager but mine is being covered now at 100% on them. I am also getting my dash replaced at 0 cost as well from the delaminating issue but ram cares approved that. It makes no sense that all 5th gen’s made before September of 2020 wouldn’t be covered because of 1 extra letter in the sales code. They know it’s the same window

Reaction score
I talked to my service manager and told him that it didn’t make sense that my truck wouldn’t be covered when they only make two types of windows and my truck falls in the production timeline and told him that it was recommended to get the regional rep involved. I’m not sure is that is the same as the area manager but mine is being covered now at 100% on them. I am also getting my dash replaced at 0 cost as well from the delaminating issue but ram cares approved that. It makes no sense that all 5th gen’s made before September of 2020 wouldn’t be covered because of 1 extra letter in the sales code. They know it’s the same window
Okay thank you and I agree with you about it being covered. It's ridiculous that this is even an issue. I will ask my Service Manager if the "Area Manager" is the same as the "Regional Rep". The Service Manager confirmed that the money I have already paid for the diagnosis fee will be counted toward the $225 deductible charge. I am still waiting to hear if this is a "one and done" or will they continue to warranty it until 150,000 miles as the TSB says if there is an issue in the future. Still waiting to hear from @RamCares on this issue.

The_Dude

Reaction score
The problem is the rear window is put into a plastic frame and it cracks in the corners (you can see it) I used flowable silicone on the corners and have had a problem. I also bought some rubber weatherstriping and redone the third brake light. Strange that this forum doesn't talk about these fixes.

Users who are viewing this thread