5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Trailer Option

Cluck

Reaction score
Question - if you get the trailer package with the trailer brake controller... does that automatically add the trailer side mirrors? Looking at trucks online I can't tell which ones have the trailer mirrors, do they stick out the same distance as regular mirrors? I just want to make sure I don't get these and want to know how to tell the difference..

ryelinek

Reaction score
Yes. Trailer tow package gives those mirrors 100% of the time. If you want the normal mirrors you can add just the “Trailer Break Control” as an option instead.

Also getting the trailer mirrors also removes the 360 degree camera if you are ordering a truck trim that has that option.

Flot

Reaction score
There is the "trailer tow group" ($300 on laramie) which includes the tow mirrors and brake controller, and then there is the "trailer brake control" ($295 on laramie) which is just the controller.

Do you actually need the brake controller? My understanding is that you can always plug it in later, but more importantly, it only applies to trailers which have electric over hydraulic brakes.

The hitch receiver, wiring, etc, is standard on laramie and above, I THINK on big horn, optional on tradesman.

immersivenc

Reaction score
Yep, wish FCA would have made this more evident on the build and price and let dealers know about it. I cancelled an order over this and reordered with the brake controller only.

Cluck

Reaction score
Yes, the model I'm referring to is the Limited. That said,...
1. I do need the trailer hitch ..which I know the limited trim comes with.
2. Wouldn't mind the trailer brake controller ( in case I ever get a boat with elec brakes)
3. Definitely don't want those big trailer mirrors.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with the other members here, just option the trailer brake controller and you'll be good to go. I would personally avoid the trailer tow mirrors as well.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For some reason the dealers in my area have been ordering all the 2019's with the tow mirrors. I'm not a big fan of them, but I'll probably be ordering a truck to my specs anyway.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So was my dealer, until I told him about the 360 camera issue. He was as shocked as I was

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I asked this in another thread, but will elaborate here.

When the pricing was first announced alot of people barked about how much more the 12" was than 8.4"

I said that it was probably because of all the other sensors and gadgets that the 12" would operate.

Another article said you can't get 360 view with rebel cause it doesn't offer 12".

can anyone confirm or deny?

my take on the trailer mirrors. If you tow an enclosed trailer they are needed.

If you don't I wouldn't get them

Our 03 Hemi came with the tow mirrors and I installed them on the 99, but our 2013 doesn't have them and it annoys me when we haul our camper.

Just my thoughts. If the 360 is only with the 12 inch then if you don't get the big screen I would get the to mirrors.

I hope the 2500 release brings the 360 to tow mirrors and all screens if this is the where case.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I asked this in another thread, but will elaborate here.

When the pricing was first announced alot of people barked about how much more the 12" was than 8.4"

I said that it was probably because of all the other sensors and gadgets that the 12" would operate.

Another article said you can't get 360 view with rebel cause it doesn't offer 12".

can anyone confirm or deny?

my take on the trailer mirrors. If you tow an enclosed trailer they are needed.

If you don't I wouldn't get them

Our 03 Hemi came with the tow mirrors and I installed them on the 99, but our 2013 doesn't have them and it annoys me when we haul our camper.

Just my thoughts. If the 360 is only with the 12 inch then if you don't get the big screen I would get the to mirrors.

I hope the 2500 release brings the 360 to tow mirrors and all screens if this is the where case.

I'm towing a boat, but only occasionally and I wanted to power folding, so I opted for that. I think I'll just at the strap on tow mirrors like thess for what little i would use them for...anyone have any experience with these?

https://www.amazon.com/Fit-System-8...pID=411bG2WKvtL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had no visibility issues towing my 24' boat with the standard mirrors on my F150 and the Rams standard mirrors seem to offer more side to side visibility.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, the standard Ram mirrors have a pretty good offset as they reach out farther then either Ford or GM standard mirrors.

D

Deleted member 85

For some reason the dealers in my area have been ordering all the 2019's with the tow mirrors. I'm not a big fan of them, but I'll probably be ordering a truck to my specs anyway.
We also didn't know that the 360 Camera was kicked by Tow Mirrors. FCA messed up a bit here with late communication on this point.

RKPhelps

Reaction score
I was 5 weeks into my order when I found out about this issue when adding the trailer group. I canceled and reordered on 5/10/18 with just the brake controller so I could have the 360 & folding mirrors. It was painful to start over but at these prices for a loaded limited, I want to get it right. I also had to educate my dealer on this mess because they had no clue. I want to thank this website for all this info.

jscoc

Reaction score
Question does anyone know with the trailer tow mirrors do you still get heated mirrors and can they still add cross path detection to them? Or do you lose both those options with the trailer tow group/mirrors

Cluck

Reaction score
I would be very surprised if you didn't get heated and blind spot monitor with regular mirrors - assuming Laramie and Limited...

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know you still get blind spot. Not 100% sure on the heat but I'd imagine so...

jscoc

Reaction score
Okay thank you, can anyone with tow mirrors verify?

Users who are viewing this thread