5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Rebel Tire Pressure

Dustytrader

Reaction score
I can get mine down about 5 psi(50F 40R) without the TPMS sensor going off.
I actually run 28 in my rears and 32 in my fronts, which is plenty for a 10 ply tire. Could probably go lower on the back even since theres no weight back there. It makes a huge difference in the ride...and like I said I have gotten great mileage from my tires at these pressures so nobody will tell me that is underinflated.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I remember when I told someone I ran similar pressures and they freaked out. This was after riding in said truck and talking about how good it rode for a lifted truck. Good times.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I run my pressures at the recommended 55 / 45, which for me is honestly a shock since none of my previous vehicles were every near that, usually 35 psi.

However, everyone that rides it my truck mention how smooth and comfortable the ride is, so I think I'll just stick with the manufacturers recommendation for now.

Dustytrader

Reaction score
I run my pressures at the recommended 55 / 45, which for me is honestly a shock since none of my previous vehicles were every near that, usually 35 psi.

However, everyone that rides it my truck mention how smooth and comfortable the ride is, so I think I'll just stick with the manufacturers recommendation for now.
Try Colorado roads...you'll definitely re=evaluate your pressures...lol

UglyMutt

Reaction score
I have never ran my tires by what the door jam said, well I never looked until I got a Rebel, I looked at everything twice, I always ran my tires as to what it says on the tire itself, tire places always run soft like 10lbs lower and I just assumed they did this so the tire wears out faster... I would hit the air pump and set it to max tire pressure it says on the sidewall of the tire, some said 40lb max so thats where they went, last truck said 50lb so thats where I ran them, have not looked at the goodyears on my rebel yet but my dashboard says 57 on all four so will look when I get home... I was told by someone long ago to run the tire at max pressure to get the wheel to roll smoothly any under inflating causes more drag/friction and creates heat and max will give you the best milage... so I am not sure if thats true or not but I have done this like the last 35 years and never did like it under inflated I can tell if I have a low tire, don't need the tpms to tell me... LOL

mac1983620

Reaction score
Why the lower psi rear? Traction? Not as much weight as the front end?

Dustytrader

Reaction score
***THIS GUY IS RIGHT***

These tires are 10 ply mud tires, not 4 ply crap tires. 10 ply hold MUCH more air.
They have the availability to hold more air for the purpose of weight and hauling. This is a 1500 series half ton pickup, absolutely no need for this much air pressure. All it does is make the ride rougher and will be harder on all suspension components and eventually cause rattles and squeaks. To each their own though, I choose to run about 20psi less than the door says and I get great mileage out of my tires and enjoy the softer ride.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the guy giving tire advice in all caps doesn’t know why the rear is lower than the front? That’s reassuring.

This has been said several times, the sticker in the door is for max towing on stock tires. So let’s break it down:

1) if you Aren’t towing, you don’t need max load capacity. Read as don’t need max psi.

They print this because they advertise this truck as towing 12k pounds, it’s got to be ready for that at all times. They can’t rely on average owners to air up their tires when they tow.

2) if you don’t have stock tires this sticker is worthless. In terms of air pressure anyway. I believe it even says something about that on the sticker.

I’m about to post a photo in a minute of my rear tires in a few minutes. Stay tuned.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here we go, this is 700 miles or so of ~34psi. Now would you say this tire is under inflated? According to some posts, I need to have 45. Some Say to have max 65. That’s basically double.

This obviously isn’t a stock tire. But the principles are the same. If you look at the inflation tables from Toyo, because I can’t imagine amp has them lol, you’ll see that on average this size tire will support about 2300lbs at 34psi.

Attachments

• 42D7B766-4218-4220-9C26-E925B2AA2300.jpeg
    42D7B766-4218-4220-9C26-E925B2AA2300.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 89

mac1983620

Reaction score
So the guy giving tire advice in all caps doesn’t know why the rear is lower than the front? That’s reassuring.

This has been said several times, the sticker in the door is for max towing on stock tires. So let’s break it down:

1) if you Aren’t towing, you don’t need max load capacity. Read as don’t need max psi.

They print this because they advertise this truck as towing 12k pounds, it’s got to be ready for that at all times. They can’t rely on average owners to air up their tires when they tow.

2) if you don’t have stock tires this sticker is worthless. In terms of air pressure anyway. I believe it even says something about that on the sticker.

I’m about to post a photo in a minute of my rear tires in a few minutes. Stay tuned.
Yeah, because people were saying like 35psi max. I'm not a tire expert like you must be with your smart-*** comment, but I know the difference in psi between 4 and 10 ply. How about instead of being a ******* to people that are pointing out facts and trying to help people by sharing the knowledge they have, you chime in with useful information? What you put is incorrect by the way. 10 ply tires require more psi than 4 ply for daily driving as well as towing due to the structure of the tire. I could either put it in all caps in hopes that it would help get my point across to know it alls like you, or you can call tire manufacturers and verify what I just said. Even a guy who types in all caps knows that.

Gusman4

Reaction score
FYI a 10 ply tire do not require more pressure than a 4 ply tire. Your tire pressure should be directly related to how much weight you have on them period. If you want to get the correct tire pressure for YOUR truck tire combination then the chalk test is the only reliable way that I know of. A under inflated tire will wear quickly on the edges of tire while an overinflated tire will wear quickly down the center of tire. I have been running at 55/45 haven’t done chalk test but wear looks normal.

mac1983620

Reaction score
FYI a 10 ply tire do not require more pressure than a 4 ply tire. Your tire pressure should be directly related to how much weight you have on them period. If you want to get the correct tire pressure for YOUR truck tire combination then the chalk test is the only reliable way that I know of. A under inflated tire will wear quickly on the edges of tire while an overinflated tire will wear quickly down the center of tire. I have been running at 55/45 haven’t done chalk test but wear looks normal.
Might wanna look into that more

mac1983620

Reaction score
Again, 10 ply tires have different structure than 4 ply, and require more air. Since clearly you seem to disagree, read this article, or talk to anyone who is an actual tire expert or manufacturer. Or, run your 10 ply at 35 psi and see how well that works out for your tires.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Front wear, harder to see. Not the passenger side you can see the nips are still barely there on the far outside. Like stated in post 3 in this thread, I used the inflation chart.... 41 driver and 39 passenger. Give or take. Again, on stock tires (or any tire really) the numbers will be slightly different.

Attachments

• B3F2E432-F761-4DDE-BFE4-43AD70B85A9A.jpeg
    B3F2E432-F761-4DDE-BFE4-43AD70B85A9A.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 45
  • B2FFA7DE-CEDC-4604-B6E9-2045D59EE1CC.jpeg
    B2FFA7DE-CEDC-4604-B6E9-2045D59EE1CC.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 44

mac1983620

Reaction score
Front wear, harder to see. Not the passenger side you can see the nips are still barely there on the far outside. Like stated in post 3 in this thread, I used the inflation chart.... 41 driver and 39 passenger. Give or take. Again, on stock tires (or any tire really) the numbers will be slightly different.
I'm only referring to 10 ply

Gusman4

Reaction score
Again, 10 ply tires have different structure than 4 ply, and require more air. Since clearly you seem to disagree, read this article, or talk to anyone who is an actual tire expert or manufacturer. Or, run your 10 ply at 35 psi and see how well that works out for your tires.
Yes this is all understood and your proving the point. Without weight there is no flex of side wall at said lower correct psi. With weight at same psi there is side wall flex and improper tread contact until inflated to correct psi for that weight/tire. All I’m saying is that correct tire inflation psi is directly tied to how much weight is on the said tire. Less weight less psi needed. Not sure where your coming up with 35 psi. I’m running 55/45. Now if I were running e rated tires on a Ford Fiesta then I could get away running them at 30.

Last edited:

mac1983620

Reaction score
Yes this is all understood and your proving the point. Without weight there is no flex of side wall at said lower correct psi. With weight at same psi there is side wall flex and improper tread contact until inflated to correct psi for that weight/tire. All I’m saying is that correct tire inflation psi is directly tied to how much weight is on the said tire. Less weight less psi needed. Not sure where your coming up with 35 psi. I’m running 55/45. Now if I were running e rated tires on a Ford Fiesta then I could get away running them at 30.
From earlier in this post.

Dustytrader

Reaction score
lol..to each their own apparently. I will continue to run mine in the lower 30's and get 60k miles out of my tires and enjoy the much softer ride and tight dash :)

Users who are viewing this thread