5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Rebel New Tire Recommendations

ckirby500

Reaction score
Hey team,

looking at tire options for my Rebel. The duratracs are a bit noisy for me. Want something that still appears aggressive but less noise. My brother has a Rubicon Wrangler with BFG KO2 that don’t seem nearly as bad. Any suggestions appreciated

Reaction score
We had 275/70R18 KO2s on our expedition that we traded in for the ram and they were quiet and performed well. We will probably try Falken Wildpeaks this time around they are pretty well recommended and usually a little less expensive. The wildpeaks also have the 3 peaks snow rating and a 55k warranty vs 50k warranty and no 3 peaks for the KO2s.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
T/A KO2s, Falken Wildpeaks and Nitto Grapplers seem to be the favorite for good performance as an A/T but more civil on-road especially with road noise.

You want aggressive looks, the M/Ts of the above look good, but from what I hear the Nitto Grapplers in M/T aren't too bad for noise either.

The Duratrac was kind designed to bridge the gap between the A/T & M/T, which is why is louder than you typical A/T, looks associated with a M/T but noise closer to an A/T, but not quiet as one. Though they have a rep of getting louder with more miles.

Last edited:

Zoompastu

Reaction score
T/A KO2s, Falken Wildpeaks and Nitto Grapplers seem to be the favorite for good performance as an A/T but more civil on-road especially with road noise.

You want aggressive looks, the M/Ts of the above look good, but from what I hear the Nitto Grapplers in M/T aren't too bad for noise either.

The Duratrac was kind designed to bridge the gap between the A/T & M/T, which is why is louder than you typical A/T, looks associated with a M/T but noise closer to an A/T, but not quiet as one. Though they have a rep of getting louder with more miles.
I second this… If you are not going to mess with snow I would recommend the Nitto’s. An awesome mud tire that is quiet is the MAXXIS RAZR.

Downytide

Reaction score
Got a set of Yokohama X-AT, so far its quieter on hwy speed and performs the same on most off road situation, only thing I haven't had a chance to try it is in deep mud.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We had 275/70R18 KO2s on our expedition that we traded in for the ram and they were quiet and performed well. We will probably try Falken Wildpeaks this time around they are pretty well recommended and usually a little less expensive. The wildpeaks also have the 3 peaks snow rating and a 55k warranty vs 50k warranty and no 3 peaks for the KO2s.

I'm pretty sure they are?
https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tires/all-terrain/all-terrain-t-a-ko2.html
Hover over the info tab on the "all weather tire"

Diddy Sanchez

Reaction score
I highly
Hey team,

looking at tire options for my Rebel. The duratracs are a bit noisy for me. Want something that still appears aggressive but less noise. My brother has a Rubicon Wrangler with BFG KO2 that don’t seem nearly as bad. Any suggestions appreciated
i highly recommend the fury country hunter rt..... really quiet for how aggressive it looks. Smooth on the highway and decent in dirt. one of the best looking rt tires imho

Reaction score
There are two different KO2 tread compounds one is 3 peaks rated but no mileage warranty and one labeled (DT) is not 3 peaks but does have a 50K mile warranty. Wildpeaks offer both the 3 peaks rating and a mileage warranty.

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 73

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are two different KO2 tread compounds one is 3 peaks rated but no mileage warranty and one labeled (DT) is not 3 peaks but does have a 50K mile warranty. Wildpeaks offer both the 3 peaks rating and a mileage warranty.

That's pretty cool!

I think I have an answer on why that is. In these LT rated tires they have 2 concerns, having a tire hard enough or strong enough that the side walls are rigid, enough so to support the 3/4 ton trucks that will often be using these E rated tires when under load or towing. (It's usually 3/4ton trucks using these, in addition to Jeepers airing down)

On the other hand there's the rubber compound equation that effects the traction on the road. I believe if they over do it on the hardness, while the side walls are more durable and it takes longer to wear out, the wet traction is not as good. The "softercrubber has better wet traction in the cold.

I did an absolute ****ton of reading with my original ram rebel, because I absolutely hated the toyo open country AT2 tires. In even a mild rain storm they became very slippery once it got cold enough. Again wasn't necessarily just the rain, it had to be rainy AND cold.
And I mean I would have the truck in 4 wheel drive at a stoplight, and all 4 tires would initially spin. If a hill was steep? I could be going slow enough that i almost got hit by a compact car behind me, I was being that Ginger on the gas pedal trying to climb the hill, and the rear tires slipped again anyway. I was so frustrated, I did not buy a 4x4 off road truck to have problems in a basic rainstorm, or to have the have conversations myself about, "oh hey it's raining today, do I need several hundred pounds of weight in the back?" Absolutely unacceptable. To this day that's the only tire I will never recommend, never use again, and wouldn't let a friend use.
(Again due to the rubber compounds and I believe the ingredient in particular is silica, this is apparently less of a concern in the P-rated tires in the smaller vehicles.)

After that I upgraded to the BF Goodrich KO2s. and as the same driver with the same truck on the same roads at the same speeds in the same conditions, I had no such problems. In fact at times I would almost try to break traction in the same conditions where I absolutely would have flown off the road, and I couldn't do it.

However people often complain about the KO2 tires if they have a big 3/4 ton truck, saying that the sidewalls are a little mushy, and that they didn't last very long. (Note that in the P rated tires, a lot of Toyota 4runner guys and Tacoma guys and Jeep guys that aren't running the E rated kind with a payload consideration, do not complain about the side walls at all. They all swear up-and-down it's absolutely fine. It becomes a bigger concern for the heavy duty trucks.)

To me that suggests a soft rubber, which has to do with a trade off with the silica compound in the tire.

Finding out that there are 2 different versions of the tire in each with a specialization on either longer lasting or better wet traction? To me confirms my theory. Thank you for posting that

I think the Falken AT3W tires are freaking awesome, I think they only have the one drawback: weight, at least that's my understanding. They are aheavy tire for what they are. But they've got a lot of pluses worth looking at.

For me personally I think the BF Goodrich KO2 is the best for my uses, I think traction is everything, having almost slid off the road, I'm a die hard on that, and I personally would accept shorter life in a trade off with traction.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So you're getting a lot of good answers, but this question is the same as "which speakers sound the best" and "what oil/filter is the best". My dad has KO2's on his truck, I've ridden in other trucks with KO2's, as well as Ridge Grapplers and Duratracs. I will hands down tell you KO2's are noisy AF at highway speeds. Maybe it's the truck, maybe it's the wheel, who knows, but most people's responses are going to be anecdotal at best, and their hearing is different than your hearing. KO2's especially, as they wear down and the tire gets harder, get extremely loud to my ears. Like can't hear the radio over them loud.

Your brother has a Wrangler. Those things are going to be inherently more noisy over the Ram just because of the cabin design, so you're going to hear less tire noise in the Wrangler regardless of if he has AT's or MT's.

I personally love the Duratracs.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As others have said, not really a lot of wrong answers here. Tires are a lot of personal preference.

If they had them in my size, I would have loved to try out General Grabber ATX tires. Did not see them mentioned here yet. Look similar to BFG's design, but newer tire, newer compounds, and according to people who've had both, the General is regarded as a superior tire.

As they did not have those in my size, I went with the Falken Wildpeaks. In the Rebel tire sizes, you may have some Grabber ATX options, as long as you're not afraid of LT sizes. (I went with SL tires, do not want the extra weight if I don't need it.)

mtvrwe2003

Reaction score
The Goodyear wrangler all terrain adventure with Kevlar in the LT size is a good all season on and off road tire. The Duratrac’s are a great tire as well but they are more aggressive which aggressive makes noise. I have 25k miles on my Rebel with Duratrac’s and you can hear them but it’s not that bad. Keep them aired up and rotated. I hear some tires passing me going down the road that there is no way in hell I would have them on my truck I don’t know what they are but I don’t want any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So you're getting a lot of good answers, but this question is the same as "which speakers sound the best" and "what oil/filter is the best". My dad has KO2's on his truck, I've ridden in other trucks with KO2's, as well as Ridge Grapplers and Duratracs. I will hands down tell you KO2's are noisy AF at highway speeds. Maybe it's the truck, maybe it's the wheel, who knows, but most people's responses are going to be anecdotal at best, and their hearing is different than your hearing. KO2's especially, as they wear down and the tire gets harder, get extremely loud to my ears. Like can't hear the radio over them loud.

Your brother has a Wrangler. Those things are going to be inherently more noisy over the Ram just because of the cabin design, so you're going to hear less tire noise in the Wrangler regardless of if he has AT's or MT's.

I personally love the Duratracs.

As I go back-and-forth on a lift kit, there's 3 tires I can see myself driving with lift or not next time around.

The BFG KO2s are probably my favorite
Falken AT3Ws
And the duratracs

But I don't think duratracs get enough credit!
It is sort of in between an all terrain tire and a mud terrain tire, that is still rated to be pretty good in the snow.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As I go back-and-forth on a lift kit, there's 3 tires I can see myself driving with lift or not next time around.

The BFG KO2s are probably my favorite
Falken AT3Ws
And the duratracs

But I don't think duratracs get enough credit!
It is sort of in between an all terrain tire and a mud terrain tire, that is still rated to be pretty good in the snow.
My biggest issue is the Duratracs don't come in 295/70R18. That's the size I want to move up to once these are done, but I don't want to drop $400/tire for 35's. As well as the loss in MPG's and such. I don't off-road seriously enough to need them.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Duratracs get great reviews the majority of the time for their performance, but they also get a lot of flak for being loud, especially as they age. If you don't care about loud, then there you are.

The AT3Ws are the best reviewed tires out of the three for snow/slush/ice/wet/dry. Mud may be a different story, haven't researched that specifically for this tire. I believe they are also the newest design out of the three, which may be why they perform better in many situations.

BFG KO2s won't let you down, I don't think, but they are an older design that still commands a premium price, and according to people who've had them and the Falkens or Duratracs, the other two tires perform better in the snow/slush/ice/dry/wet. If they didn't try to force you into the E tire range so much, I may have given them a try myself anyway, simply because Costco carries them and had a small sale on them last month.

I know mine is not a Rebel, but I did go with Rebel rims and AT3Ws myself.

mtvrwe2003

Reaction score
My biggest issue is the Duratracs don't come in 295/70R18. That's the size I want to move up to once these are done, but I don't want to drop $400/tire for 35's. As well as the loss in MPG's and such. I don't off-road seriously enough to need them.

bb3abf9b8c1067f231deabffd059e60f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm thinking hard about a lift (a true lift), and maybe 34 or 35 in tires. But I'm thinking hard. I currently don't wheel it enough to warrant/need it. I still have a lot of life left on the tires and the shocks. For my own personal needs, at least right now - I might actually be best served by, and I hate to say this, sticking with the stock size. :unsure:

I may end up going up to 34s - if I go up a tire size, I'd strongly prefer to have a spare in the same size!

It looks like the KO2s don't come in a "tall skinny tire", a 34 or 35 that isn't 12.5in wide.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Duratracs get great reviews the majority of the time for their performance, but they also get a lot of flak for being loud, especially as they age. If you don't care about loud, then there you are.

The AT3Ws are the best reviewed tires out of the three for snow/slush/ice/wet/dry. Mud may be a different story, haven't researched that specifically for this tire. I believe they are also the newest design out of the three, which may be why they perform better in many situations.

BFG KO2s won't let you down, I don't think, but they are an older design that still commands a premium price, and according to people who've had them and the Falkens or Duratracs, the other two tires perform better in the snow/slush/ice/dry/wet. If they didn't try to force you into the E tire range so much, I may have given them a try myself anyway, simply because Costco carries them and had a small sale on them last month.

I know mine is not a Rebel, but I did go with Rebel rims and AT3Ws myself.

Hard to believe how fast time flies, when the KO2 first came out in 2014, I thought they were the coolest thing!

Having had both and driven them both in the snow (The KO2/duratrac), I think they're about tied for snow performance, thusfar anyway. I have absolute trust in the KO2s. We had a snow storm one year that surprised everyone, there was no salt nor plows out. Cars were stranded, traffic ruined for hours, cars stuck at intersections for hours sputtering, unable to get up slight hills with slush and snow.

The Gen1 Rebel with KO2s on them just trucked right through everything that day. If anything I just sorta wished everyone would get out of the way!!

Users who are viewing this thread