5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 rebel gas mileage with e-torque

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve tried keeping The Start Stop on and Off. A few weeks ago I took a 4 hour round trip all Highway driving and I only managed to get around 14.5 mpg. And that was going 55 mph the whole time.
I have a trip coming up from Kentucky to florida, If it don’t improve I’ll have to rent a car. Do you guys think it might be the E Torque that’s making it get such bad. MPGs?
Is that hand calculated or from the truck's display? If from the truck, did you reset your trip meter or economy screen before the trip? Was the terrain hilly?

If you are truly getting 14.5 mpg at 55 on anything other than very hilly terrain, I'd be seeing the dealer.

I get 18-21 mpg at 55 depending on the hills with a 4WD Limited with Off Road Group and 3.92. West Tennessee has small rolling hills.

OldSkull

Reaction score
Going to use some conservative assumptions here ... 4hr trip ~500 miles round trip. At ~14mpg that's ~34 gallons. At 20 mpg you would consume 25 gallons, so about 8-9 gallons more fuel. Roughly $20 delta at current gas prices. Is it really worth it to rent a car?
Sounds like you are still in a break in period also?
I'm not denying we are getting worse than anticipated efficiency, but maybe a break in, plus a pcm update (or something) will help things improve for all of us.

B7123A93-EE87-40EF-A633-8245733A78A1.jpeg Im sure I’ll suck it up and take the truck to Florida, and I do hope there is a Break In period, I’ve just never had any of my other Rams I had prior to this one have a Break in period or this bad of MPGs.
I’m honestly just kinda shocked it’s this bad.

OldSkull

Reaction score
Is that hand calculated or from the truck's display? If from the truck, did you reset your trip meter or economy screen before the trip? Was the terrain hilly?

If you are truly getting 14.5 mpg at 55 on anything other than very hilly terrain, I'd be seeing the dealer.

I get 18-21 mpg at 55 depending on the hills with a 4WD Limited with Off Road Group and 3.92. West Tennessee has small rolling hills.
I have reset the tripomter every few days. I honestly searched the web for answers before I started ranting on here lol.
I’m just really surprised the MPGs are this bad. My 2015 Rebel did great. My 1994 Bronco gets better MPGs than my new Rebel. I just don’t get it.
I’m in Kentucky so we do have some hills but nothing major. So far this week I’m averaging 13.1 MPG. 9987B2BD-5189-4CD1-A442-AC069A5E44FA.jpeg

Tropez

Reaction score
I’m getting around 14mpg with a 23gal tank. 5.7, 3.92, e-torque.
Is this about normal?

Old truck was 2014, 5.7, 3.93 and got 19mpg with 26gal.

I’m 1000 miles in on my Rebel, non-etorque, 3.92 (only option with the Rebel) with a mix of city and highway driving and I’m averaging right at 13 mpg.

ajosephngs

Reaction score
I found a fix for mine. Cycle the display until it no longer shows the fuel economy. Problem solved as far as I'm concerned.

Mileage is awful. It has been slowly getting better. I'm at about 3500 miles and it gets to 16-17 on the highway. I took a 1500 mile trip and averaged 13 the week after I bought it. I was livid. but if you don't look at it, it's a lot less painful.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m 1000 miles in on my Rebel, non-etorque, 3.92 (only option with the Rebel) with a mix of city and highway driving and I’m averaging right at 13 mpg.

I'm mostly city, 1300 miles on the rebel, 13.7-14.1mpg average.

whsk12

Reaction score
buy a prius!-3.92 gears and a flying brick do not get good mpg!

Gkmathiesen

"MAX"
Reaction score
There's no point in quoting mileage or comparing yours to this or that until you have about 5k on the truck. I feel like the only real valid data comes from anyone that has over that mileage. Give it a chance, get a good mix of city/highway mileage, first oil change, winter driving, etc before you get too hung up on mileage.
I've almost 6K, mostly hwy miles and I'm averaging around 18-19. I usually don't go over 65MPH though.

Users who are viewing this thread