5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram Rebel: Transmission Issues

Reaction score
Hello Ram Fam,

I am about 11,000 miles into my 2019 Rebel (5.7 eTorque) and I have really loved it so far. HOWEVER, the transmission has (almost) never worked as I believe it should. I have put a lot of miles on cars with the ZF-8 transmission and believe it is undoubtedly the best automatic system on the market barring some of the higher end dual-clutch units I've experienced in Porsche's and the like. So, I have been frustrated with the performance of the transmission in my Rebel.

Despite receiving every software update available, my transmission continues to have problems. Some times, when I am driving very casually, it holds gears well into the 3000rpm+ range before upshifting, especially first, second and third gear. Then, other times, it won't downshift; I'll will explain what I mean...
  • Cruising at 45mph (Trans: 6th gear)
  • Light ahead turns yellow, no brake, roll off throttle (Trans: 6th gear)
  • Slowly decelerate, light braking, all the way down to ~10mph (Trans: Still 6th gear)
  • Light turns green, roll into light throttle (Trans: STILL 6th gear)
  • Forced to apply moderate throttle due to gear, up to 25-30mph (Trans: OH **** harsh downshift to 1st gear)
  • Drivetrain jolts, engine revs high, I shake my head (Trans: ****, 1st gear was too low, QUICK, up to 3rd gear)
  • Annnnnnnd we're back in sync.
Let me be fair, it isn't horrible and it isn't all the time, but it definitely isn't good and it it happens too much. I know how a ZF-8 is supposed to feel, and this isn't it. My two main concerns are that it will turn into a bigger issue down the road (and knowing the cruel nature of existence, it will be the day after my warranty expires), and that it will effect the private resale-ability of my truck. If I test drove this thing right now and experienced these issues, the FCA timebomb alarm in my mind would go off and I wouldn't buy it. Has anyone else experienced this type of thing? Also, my dealer is always happy to take a look, but that rarely goes anywhere, what do I do? I appreciate any insight or opinions you all might have. Thank you!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Hello Ram Fam,

I am about 11,000 miles into my 2019 Rebel (5.7 eTorque) and I have really loved it so far. HOWEVER, the transmission has (almost) never worked as I believe it should. I have put a lot of miles on cars with the ZF-8 transmission and believe it is undoubtedly the best automatic system on the market barring some of the higher end dual-clutch units I've experienced in Porsche's and the like. So, I have been frustrated with the performance of the transmission in my Rebel.

Despite receiving every software update available, my transmission continues to have problems. Some times, when I am driving very casually, it holds gears well into the 3000rpm+ range before upshifting, especially first, second and third gear. Then, other times, it won't downshift; I'll will explain what I mean...
  • Slowly decelerate, light braking, all the way down to ~10mph (Trans: Still 6th gear)
  • Forced to apply moderate throttle due to gear, up to 25-30mph (Trans: OH **** harsh downshift to 1st gear)
  • Drivetrain jolts, engine revs high, I shake my head (Trans: ****, 1st gear was too low, QUICK, up to 3rd gear)
Let me be fair, it isn't horrible and it isn't all the time, but it definitely isn't good and it it happens too much. I know how a ZF-8 is supposed to feel, and this isn't it. My two main concerns are that it will turn into a bigger issue down the road (and knowing the cruel nature of existence, it will be the day after my warranty expires), and that it will effect the private resale-ability of my truck. If I test drove this thing right now and experienced these issues, the FCA timebomb alarm in my mind would go off and I wouldn't buy it. Has anyone else experienced this type of thing? Also, my dealer is always happy to take a look, but that rarely goes anywhere, what do I do? I appreciate any insight or opinions you all might have. Thank you!
That stinks, and def not normal nor widespread on the forum.
You need to escalate or try another dealer.

Cheers,

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll agree with you that FCA could've done better on the programming of shifts and what not, it definitely behaves very differently from the 3 series I had previously. Though like you mentioned some of the quirks are definitely still there.
I don't have an e-torque truck and that's fortunate, because the issues with e-torque trucks seem to keep coming

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 19 was a little clunky low speed down shifts originally but after last TSB it’s AWSOME none of the issues your describing Keep on FCA to make it right

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello Ram Fam,

Put that thing in tow/haul mode and see if it still has that behavior (which is by no means what it should be doing). I know in my limited, downshifts happen sooner and quicker than in normal mode. But for sure...yours is misbehaving, mine used to be a little slow from 2nd to 1st downshift, but Pulsar eliminated that tendency. You can always disconnect the negative battery cable for 30 min and reconnect. See if you can get the tranny to forget its current shift pattern, and relearn an new one.

nyyanks14

Reaction score
Hello Ram Fam,

Yes! I though I was the only one! I got my 2019 RAM 1500 Rebel in December of 2019. Since then I have been having these same exact issues.... and intermittent as well. The dealership has reprogrammed everything after 4 visits with the same issues. They even added 1 Qt of transmission fluid during one of the visits as it was apparently missing. I have been fighting with them because I know they way it is driving is not normal, but they say it is working as designed.

I still have the issue above.... and it also feels weird shifting from Park to Drive or Neutral to Drive. No so much P to R. It sometimes feels as if someone is bumping me from behind when I am shifting into Drive. I have asked many owners on the road if they experience this same issues and they have stated no.

I still do not know how to move forward with the dealership as I have only had this truck for 6 months.

List of other issues:

- Missing parts in the front suspension, right off the lot (corrected)
- Back up cam getting grainy when activated (fixed with update)
- Back up cam going to a pink overlay when activated (still happens)
- Driver seatbelt was locking randomly while cruising (replaced)
- Water leaking into the cabin from the rear window (just picked it up this past Saturday, took 20 days to fix)

alexcruz

Reaction score
Hello I have a 2019 Ram Rebel and at 32000 miles the transmission went out. Warranty replaced a new transmission, but worried issues are still present. During my time with this truck it has always had a loud engine humm when the rpms are around 2500 2000. It sounds like the engine is reving up, but it's not. Took to the dealer multiple times, but they said they could never hear it. Then the transmission went out and I'm assuming that had something to do with it. Now about 5000 miles on the new transmission I'm getting the same engine noise. Has anyone experienced this?

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello I have a 2019 Ram Rebel and at 32000 miles the transmission went out. Warranty replaced a new transmission, but worried issues are still present. During my time with this truck it has always had a loud engine humm when the rpms are around 2500 2000. It sounds like the engine is reving up, but it's not. Took to the dealer multiple times, but they said they could never hear it. Then the transmission went out and I'm assuming that had something to do with it. Now about 5000 miles on the new transmission I'm getting the same engine noise. Has anyone experienced this?

I would find it hard to believe that you would have two ZF 8 speed failures, to me it appears that something else is going on there. Did they say anything about what caused the failure or what specifically was broken inside of it?
I have read of others getting the factory powertrain warranty extended out to 100k, or getting a Mopar extended warranty for free to ensure future problems could be covered.

If your current dealer isn't satisfactory then perhaps try a different dealership in the area.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello Ram Fam,

Has your dealer put a diagnostic scanner on the vehicle, and if so has he reported finding anything out of range?

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045006 miles.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 Limited...trans is butter-smooth at 27,000... definitely something wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread