5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram Limited Rear Drivers-side Dent (Updated - door panel pressed into linkage)

DWWillms

Reaction score
Walked out today to see two dents about 7 inches behind my drivers side door handle. I thought someone vandalized my truck, but one is coming from the inside (pushing out). Took it to the dealer and the Service Manager said that she has seen one other 19 Ram Limited with this exact problem. Make sure you're reporting your problems. They are now taking care of me and the first guy's dents too. 20190222_091443.jpg

Lablvr2

Reaction score
I noticed a strange vertical ripple in my drivers front door soon after I took delivery. I took it to the selling dealer 4hrs from me and they essentially said after their body shop looked at it and the repair would result in body work..aka bondo and paint..I was floored and not ok with body work on my new truck. I asked about painteless dent repair and they said they have a guy but he was not skilled enough to repair it. They are in small town texas and I live in Houston so they told me to try and find a skilled PDR guy local and push Chrysler to foot the bill. Just have not had the time to do it yet. They did tell me looked like the stamping die for the door skins was probably worn or had a defect and that was likely cause. I have seen a few other posts of guys complaining about strange defects like this and bet there are lot more out there.

DWWillms

Reaction score
Have them warranty a new door panel
Thanks, I'll try and do that because the dent pushing out has caused paint and possibly the metal to crack a tiny bit. Wouldn't look good for it too start rusting in a few years. I thought it was crazy that another Limited had the same problem at my dealership. Thought more people would mention having it here too.

DWWillms

Reaction score
Today dropped it off at the dealer. Their "Body Guy" says it's most likely a faulty rivet. Don't know why it popped when it did, but they asked me to give them till Friday to fix it. I miss my truck already. I'll update you guys this weekend. Check your trucks.

DWWillms

Reaction score
Have them warranty a new door panel
How do I go about doing this? They acted like it was unnecessary to fix the problem. Is a good visual check sufficient when I get it back, or am I going to run into problems later?

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If it’s the dealer where you purchased I would ask for the manager. If that doesn’t work after complaining, I would call corporate. They are the ones that ultimately approve it anyway

DWWillms

Reaction score
Update. The dents match up with the upper linkage inside the door. Body shop said something had to have pushed my door panel in quite a ways for this to happen. He didn't know how the door doesn't have damage elsewhere. However, they had a paintless dent remover come and fix it and I can't even tell. Hoping this is something that doesn't happen again. Anyone got ideas about dash cameras that record if truck is damaged while it is parked? Please link to the thread if you do.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update. The dents match up with the upper linkage inside the door. Body shop said something had to have pushed my door panel in quite a ways for this to happen. He didn't know how the door doesn't have damage elsewhere. However, they had a paintless dent remover come and fix it and I can't even tell. Hoping this is something that doesn't happen again. Anyone got ideas about dash cameras that record if truck is damaged while it is parked? Please link to the thread if you do.
Unless you add additional dash cams to cover the sides, a regular dash cam will only show 140 to 170 degrees forward of the front windshield. The dual lens cams with rear window mounted rear cam will show the same view to the rear. Some have a rear lens on the front windshield that record inside the cab. That might catch more of the side view.

You'll have to have a hardwire kit with a low voltage cutoff to prevent the dash cam from running your battery down. Read all about that on the Dash Cam threads.

Mr.Gigglez

Reaction score
Get a pdr technician in your area to fix this , this is a very very simple repair and should take 10 min max to fix ... I do hail damage repair on vehicles ( pdr paintless dent repair) y'all freak out over the littlest things ... If a body shop quoted you for a conventional repair do not use them... There is NO NEED to fill n paint that damage ...

DWWillms

Reaction score
PDR (Paintless Dent Repair) guy got it almost perfect. Cant even tell unless you know where to look. Even then it takes a bit. Thanks for all of your advice.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
PDR (Paintless Dent Repair) guy got it almost perfect. Cant even tell unless you know where to look. Even then it takes a bit. Thanks for all of your advice.

I’m glad you’re taking it in stride. I’m not so sure I would. Almost perfect? On a brand new truck you paid a lot of money for? Now if it were a shopping cart in a parking lot, I’m totally in agreement. Big hugs and kisses for the PDR guy. It if it’s a warranty issue, i’d either want a new door or some other compensation. Maybe I’m being nitpicky?

Mr.Gigglez

Reaction score

Almost ? Sorry but you should not even see it at all ! Id say thats a less than stellar repair if you can still see it after looking for it... I fix cars that have literally THOUSANDS of dents from dime size on up to softball ( if the metal isnt stretched ) and i can guarantee you wont see not one dent or chewed up area on the vehicle , been doing this for 18 yrs and its very irritating when simple repairs turn into something other than " simple " ... Sorry you can still see it :( hope you haven't lost faith in our repair process there are actually alot of awesome technicians around the states ( i travel for hail ) where are you located ?

bigbob66

Reaction score
I noticed a strange vertical ripple in my drivers front door soon after I took delivery. I took it to the selling dealer 4hrs from me and they essentially said after their body shop looked at it and the repair would result in body work..aka bondo and paint..I was floored and not ok with body work on my new truck. I asked about painteless dent repair and they said they have a guy but he was not skilled enough to repair it. They are in small town texas and I live in Houston so they told me to try and find a skilled PDR guy local and push Chrysler to foot the bill. Just have not had the time to do it yet. They did tell me looked like the stamping die for the door skins was probably worn or had a defect and that was likely cause. I have seen a few other posts of guys complaining about strange defects like this and bet there are lot more out there.
Yes, I also noticed 3 tiny dings on the passenger side of my Big Horn. 2 were on the front passenger door and 1 on the rear passenger door. They were all in alignment horizontally. They were not from other car doors banging. They also appeared to have tiny circular pattern.

Users who are viewing this thread