5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram Hemi Engine Failure.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mike is with FCA corporate.
I understand that…would like to know the name of the dealers for those of us who live in or routinely travel through Dallas. Most members will avoid them like the plague for such faulty service work.

Last edited:

Gemlin

Reaction score
Mike McDonald is Chryslers contact. He hands "Issues".

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
If you guys want to idle the truck for long periods of time, There's a solution for the Cam/lifter issue.
You can install a 6.2L Hellcat oil pump(High Volume) instead of the one that you have, The HC pump has a higher idle PSI and that will keep everything lubed as it should.
The pump cost around $130 and the labor shouldn't take more than two hours and $300...
****THE HC PUMP IS A DIRECT FIT TO THE 5.7L HEMI****
Part #

68195993AD​

Link: https://www.cheapjeeppartsonline.co...c6c7WPPZqNLwxdEynEwyrbjUhhrOqPQIaAihGEALw_wcB

https://highhorseperformance.com/mopar-oil-pump-for-2015-current-6-2l-hellcat-68195993ad/

Gemlin

Reaction score
I am not going to do that. After my issue, Mike Mcdonald got me a really good warranty on my vehicle. Lets just say I dont have to put a wrench on my vehicle for a while.

The other dealer I took my truck to, replaced the engine under 10 days, had a loaner for me and fixed several issues grapevine forgot to check. Like my swapbar ends were not tightened, they tore a cv axle boot and didnt top off my AC. All resolved by new dealer.

Only issue I had with new dealer was the connector going to thd 4wd actuator wasnt fully seated and it threw 3 codes as a result of it. A slight push in the connector, heard a click and all the codes vanished.

I realize my experience is not typical. It was more of a bad dealership.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am not going to do that. After my issue, Mike Mcdonald got me a really good warranty on my vehicle. Lets just say I dont have to put a wrench on my vehicle for a while.

The other dealer I took my truck to, replaced the engine under 10 days, had a loaner for me and fixed several issues grapevine forgot to check. Like my swapbar ends were not tightened, they tore a cv axle boot and didnt top off my AC. All resolved by new dealer.

Only issue I had with new dealer was the connector going to thd 4wd actuator wasnt fully seated and it threw 3 codes as a result of it. A slight push in the connector, heard a click and all the codes vanished.

I realize my experience is not typical. It was more of a bad dealership.
Wow man that is crazy. Unfortunately there are too many bad dealers and bad dealer service departments out there.

OleNavyMane

Reaction score
Well now I"m a bit upset. I guess because the engine failed and theres a two week back-order on the engine. The dealer does not give out loaners. FCA said I would have to rent a vehicle on my own and they *MAY* reimburse me for it.
Find another dealer that will give you a loaner.

hunkydory

Reaction score
Gemlin, You seemed to have real tough go of it. I agree, it is not typical. Sounds like a bad dealer. Which makes me wonder if they diagnosed the problem correctly to begin with. I know dealers generally are not replacing engines for the fun of it. Especially when parts are backordered.

However, I did note one major issue with the original post and diagnosis. You and the dealer originally thought it was an exhaust manifold leak. "they checked the bolts but all were tight" The bolts dont crack and break on the 5gens. That was a 4gen thing. However the 5gen do have manifold problems never the less. But since Ram spec'd stronger bolts, the manifolds are cracking or warping and the bolts are not breaking. So you could still have had manifold leak that was dismissed as something severe. And then I worry about the competency as though you had 5 engines, I consider it just 2 because 3 never got you rolling. Because of likely incompetent mechanics and that first dealer.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
In 1974, I factory ordered a new Cougar with a 351 Cobra Jet engine (Q code for you Ford muscle car guys). With less than 5000 miles on it, a valve let loose, fell into the cylinder causing the piston to crack the block. The dealer questioned whether I had been racing the vehicle. I had not. Ford replaced the engine but it took about a month to get approval, order parts, get the work done and return the car to me. I drove that Cougar for the next seven years without any more problems.

So, Gemlin, hopefully everything will work out well for you!
‘91, had just pulled the motor to do it up -annnd was about to lose my license in a few years (😁😑)

Attachments

• 25EE406E-379C-4080-A466-456CE0E007D4.jpeg
    25EE406E-379C-4080-A466-456CE0E007D4.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 44

Gemlin

Reaction score
Gemlin, You seemed to have real tough go of it. I agree, it is not typical. Sounds like a bad dealer. Which makes me wonder if they diagnosed the problem correctly to begin with. I know dealers generally are not replacing engines for the fun of it. Especially when parts are backordered.

However, I did note one major issue with the original post and diagnosis. You and the dealer originally thought it was an exhaust manifold leak. "they checked the bolts but all were tight" The bolts dont crack and break on the 5gens. That was a 4gen thing. However the 5gen do have manifold problems never the less. But since Ram spec'd stronger bolts, the manifolds are cracking or warping and the bolts are not breaking. So you could still have had manifold leak that was dismissed as something severe. And then I worry about the competency as though you had 5 engines, I consider it just 2 because 3 never got you rolling. Because of likely incompetent mechanics and that first dealer.

They also checked the exhaust manifolds. They were fine. When they tore apart the first engine, it was filled with metal contamination. A lobe on the camshaft was ground down and the lifter had a lot of slop on the roller portion (It was tore up).

The final motor that I got installed at ANOTHER dealer is still going strong (No noise). I make sure I do NOT allow this motor to idle. Heck I'm afraid to use remote start now. I do not want to go thru this hell ever again.

Kitt45

Reaction score
Greetings, I too have been hoping that FCA has solved the cam/lifter issue because my 2015 Big Horn developed the infamous lifter/cam destruction phase at 135000 miles. Left me stranded in Austin, TX. Fixing the problem would have taken too long, thus I chose to buy a new truck even though I was skeptical about the 5th generation 5.7! I expected well over 200000 miles on the 2015, changed my Mobile 1 5-20W oil religiously! FCA uses these engines in so many vehicles you would think they would fix the problem. Yet, I keep seeing forums like this that indicate it could happen on my 2022 LoneStar! I sure wish there were a class action lawsuit against FCA for producing a bad engine. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that the 2022 will last well over 135000 miles! Especially since the MSRP was nearly $54K on new truck!!!

Reaction score
Hey All,
2019 Ram 1500 here. Has 133k miles on it. Just same issue! Truck has been running great no issues until I got the service engine light and P0308 code. Changed sparkplugs and coil packs but still continued getting P0308. Took to dealership to be checked. Told I have an internal engine failure and I need a new engine. When asking for more details, Was told this is a VERY COMMON issue with RAMS and the lifters. Being told I will have to pay out of pocket because my ext. warranty is over. My problem is if this is a known issue and many are having to get this done. Then surely the manufacturer is aware of the issue! So why have they not done a recall?? I'm out 11k to get this repaired. I have done everything mechanically on time and have records. Think its **** that RAM continues to let this go on.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Becuase out of the thousands and thousands of hemis produced it’s a small percentage that actually fail. You don’t need a new engine. You need a new cam and lifters.

Every manufacture that has cylinders that turn off have this issue to some extent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BowDown

Reaction score
Hey All,
2019 Ram 1500 here. Has 133k miles on it. Just same issue! Truck has been running great no issues until I got the service engine light and P0308 code. Changed sparkplugs and coil packs but still continued getting P0308. Took to dealership to be checked. Told I have an internal engine failure and I need a new engine. When asking for more details, Was told this is a VERY COMMON issue with RAMS and the lifters. Being told I will have to pay out of pocket because my ext. warranty is over. My problem is if this is a known issue and many are having to get this done. Then surely the manufacturer is aware of the issue! So why have they not done a recall?? I'm out 11k to get this repaired. I have done everything mechanically on time and have records. Think its **** that RAM continues to let this go on.

Pull the valve covers off and look at the springs. I'm not a believer in the cam/lifters common failure myth, too many 5.7's do not have this issue for me to believe that. Is the engine making any noise, running rough? Have you cut open an oil filter? All these options are cheaper than a new engine and can be checked in an hour

Raydar

Reaction score
I sure wish there were a class action lawsuit against FCA for producing a bad engine.

Yeah. You'd think.
I've been reading and hearing about this, too. As posted earlier, and as suggested by one of the many YouTube troubleshooters, the Hellcat oil pump may be the fix.
The guy made a compelling argument.
He also mentioned that the MDS (or whatever it's being called this week) seems to have nothing to do with the cam/lifter failures. It's also happening in non-MDS engines.
He also mentioned that the Hellcat oil pump, as a replacement, will cause a 'low oil pressure" code to set. The code is actually in error. It should be written "oil pressure out of range". The real issue is that the oil pressure is higher than expected. The code can be fixed by soldering a resistor in line with the ECM / oil sender circuit.

Edit - Here's the video I was talking about.

Last edited:

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thinking this thru so I wouldn't be running around like a chicken with it's head cutoff. Preplanning keeps me calm and focused.

I would assume the oil filter catches the lifter debris. Besides the cam and lifters, I would replace the oil pump with a new hellcat pump, and not get too worried to see a little debris in the 500 mile filter from the new pump to filter passage. Now, the $64k question, is the filter a bypass style? or does all of the oil pass thru, which is rare in OEM? Bypass style, I'd go for a short block assembly. Pushrod cleanout check? Heads and tinwork solvent hose down? Anything else I missed?

I wouldn't mind going more $ for a 6.4 MDS delete and tune, but I'd have to have help determining what intake to run with my stupid etorque.

BowDown

Reaction score
What is the logic behind the hellcat oil pump? The stock pump generates more than enough oil pressure.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The video explains that the hellcat pump generates more psi at idle than a truck, charger, etc. I currently use sparingly remote start in MI winters, so idle pressure is important to me. While a small difference and somewhat anecdotal, if it's apart, why not? Now, what percent of police have failed? Quite a bit really, but they don't complain on here. 😄

Users who are viewing this thread