5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram Hemi Engine Failure.

Gemlin

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I just had the same thing happen on my 2021 RAM Rebel with the 5.7 HEMI. The truck has about 7800 miles on it. It’s been at the dealership since Oct 7th, and FCA is still trying to figure out what to do. They haven’t even taken the oil pan off or nothing. My guess is they are stumped as to why this happened with such low mileage. Hopefully it gets resolved soon and I get my truck back. And not to mention, the week before this happened, I had it in for its first oil change. Weird.
Hopefully you don't have the issue i had. I had (5) FIVE engines in my truck now and its only got 50k miles on it.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hopefully you don't have the issue i had. I had (5) FIVE engines in my truck now and its only got 50k miles on it.

Wait, the first three brand new replacement engines they put in your truck all had cam/lifter failures?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You've got to be the unluckiest guy on the planet. I feel for you.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You've got to be the unluckiest guy on the planet. I feel for you.
Not unlucky. What is the probability that he got 5 failures in that period of time and the engines themselves were all properly functioning/installed correctly etc? I mean I have a higher probability of becoming the next President and I'm not even American. It doesn't pass the basic sniffer test, either he's lying, exagerating, or he wasn't given problem free engines to begin with. Take your pick.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Five new engines on your 2019? Five complete brand new engine swaps on your 2019? Five brand new engines and you told Ram on the fourth engine “Sure, swap her out again…I’ve got full faith we’re going to get it right before we get to the tenth engine!” 😉

How many beers did you have between World Series innings before posting this? 🍻

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always wondered how they flush the metal shavings from the oil cooler. 🤔 Apparently they just keep changing engines till it pumps enough oil thru to rinse? :p

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not unlucky. What is the probability that he got 5 failures in that period of time and the engines themselves were all properly functioning/installed correctly etc? I mean I have a higher probability of becoming the next President and I'm not even American. It doesn't pass the basic sniffer test, either he's lying, exagerating, or he wasn't given problem free engines to begin with. Take your pick.
He reported his first failure this May, so he's had another 4 failures in less than 6 months. Yea, doesn't pass the basic sniff test.

1635880763705.png

Gemlin

Reaction score
Its the truth, 5 engines this year.

First engine failed - Factory Engine, Camshaft/Lifter Failure @ less than 50k miles.
Second Engine Failed - Camshaft failure less than 50 miles at the dealer.
Third Engine Failed - Too much play in the lifter to camshaft .. Failed at dealer
Fourth Engine - Truck returned to me, Engine had a loud knocking noise. Took truck to another dealer. Guess what, #8 Cylinder, Camshaft/Lifter Failure.
Fifth Engine - Another Dealer replaced engine again. This time it no knock and so far 2k miles later, its still quiet.

(Don't believe me, Call Mike McDonald and ask him about someone who owns a 2019 White Ram in Grapevine, how many engines has he had. He'll tell you)

Yes, its true, I've had FIVE motors in my 2019 Ram truck in 6 months.

Gemlin

Reaction score
All engine failures have happened with the factory installed motor with less than 1k miles. All had factory installed oil filter and dealer installed oil. EXCEPT the first engine failure (Had MOPAR oil filter and Mobil 1 sythetic)

- 2nd Engine Failure, I never got the truck. Failed at the dealer in a test.
- 3rd Engine Failure, I never got the truck. Failed at dealer in a test.
- 4th Engine Failure, Dealer returned truck with a loud knocking. Took truck to another dealer. Guess what, Engine failure again. Replaced.
- 5th Engine - Replaced at a different dealer. This engine works right now with 2k miles.

First dealer had my truck nearly FOUR MONTHS and refused to give me a Loaner. Mike McDonald ended up getting them to give me a loaner. He even paid for the Rental car until they did get me a loaner.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow! You’re far more tolerant then me. Am afraid I would have walked and availed myself of the Texas lemon law after the second engine.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All engine failures have happened with the factory installed motor with less than 1k miles. All had factory installed oil filter and dealer installed oil. EXCEPT the first engine failure (Had MOPAR oil filter and Mobil 1 sythetic)

- 2nd Engine Failure, I never got the truck. Failed at the dealer in a test.
- 3rd Engine Failure, I never got the truck. Failed at dealer in a test.
- 4th Engine Failure, Dealer returned truck with a loud knocking. Took truck to another dealer. Guess what, Engine failure again. Replaced.
- 5th Engine - Replaced at a different dealer. This engine works right now with 2k miles.

First dealer had my truck nearly FOUR MONTHS and refused to give me a Loaner. Mike McDonald ended up getting them to give me a loaner. He even paid for the Rental car until they did get me a loaner.
Sure feels like they lied to you and slapped parts on the original engine a few times, to no avail. I’m guessing you’re on your second engine, and you should never, ever return to that original dealer!

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its the truth, 5 engines this year.

First engine failed - Factory Engine, Camshaft/Lifter Failure @ less than 50k miles.
Second Engine Failed - Camshaft failure less than 50 miles at the dealer.
Third Engine Failed - Too much play in the lifter to camshaft .. Failed at dealer
Fourth Engine - Truck returned to me, Engine had a loud knocking noise. Took truck to another dealer. Guess what, #8 Cylinder, Camshaft/Lifter Failure.
Fifth Engine - Another Dealer replaced engine again. This time it no knock and so far 2k miles later, its still quiet.

(Don't believe me, Call Mike McDonald and ask him about someone who owns a 2019 White Ram in Grapevine, how many engines has he had. He'll tell you)

Yes, its true, I've had FIVE motors in my 2019 Ram truck in 6 months.
I’m curious…what dealership is Mike McDonald with? And who was the first dealer?

Users who are viewing this thread