5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram Hemi Engine Failure.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 5.7 Hemi is one of the more reliable V8's, sure their have been some issues but with the 100,000's that have been produced the failure rate is very low.

Last edited:

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The video explains that the hellcat pump generates more psi at idle than a truck, charger, etc. I currently use sparingly remote start in MI winters, so idle pressure is important to me. While a small difference and somewhat anecdotal, if it's apart, why not? Now, what percent of police have failed? Quite a bit really, but they don't complain on here. 😄

I watched the video, I didn't see or hear him say anything factual, just another guy on YouTube, that's why I asked.
You don't need increased PSI at idle, I have 45 psi, more isn't going to do anything that I can see.
Now, if you're changing it while you're there, no, there's no reason to not upgrade the part but just doing it because of what some rando says on YouTube, no.

20231206_083345.jpg

What % of cop cars have failed? What was the failure reason? Those kind of fleet vehicles are excluded from warranties for a reason.

Last edited:

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I watched the video, I didn't see or hear him say anything factual, just another guy on YouTube, that's why I asked.
You don't need increased PSI at idle, I have 45 psi, more isn't going to do anything that I can see.
Now, if you're changing it while you're there, no, there's no reason to not upgrade the part but just doing it because of what some rando says on YouTube, no.

View attachment 172200

What % of cop cars have failed? What was the failure reason? Those kind of fleet vehicles are excluded from warranties for a reason.
Stalantis Fleet vehicles have their own warranty,

Raydar

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind going more $ for a 6.4 MDS delete and tune, but I'd have to have help determining what intake to run with my stupid etorque.
My thoughts exactly. If my 5.7 eats its tail, I'm planning on building - or having built - a non-MDS** 6.4. Fortunately, I don't have etorque to contend with.
**Just recognize that, according to the video I posted, MDS is not a cause of the lifter/cam issues. It's oiling.

azzx

Reaction score

View attachment 172200

Agree---- yet another unqualified, useless YouTube BS opinion! There are millions of Morons with unqualified/ useless opinions on YouTube on any topic so they can collect a fraction of a penny per click!!!
There may be issues with 5.7, I have seen many and read many threads about this. None of the threads had any tangible/quantified data on this topic so far - at least for me.
I have only 34K on my truck. Occasionally hear the tick for a few seconds after start, which started 2 to 3 months after i bought my truck.
As my favorite childhood actor said -- Opinions are like *******s, everyone has one and it stinks!!

Last edited:

Gobassin

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram 1500 with 5.7 with approximately 48k miles developed a ticking noise. It sounded like a exhaust leak, but as the engine heated up, it went away. The noise was quite loud. I thought it was an exhaust leak on the exhaust manifolds.

Well I took it to the dealer and the tech thought the same thing. That is until he went and checked the exhaust manifold bolts. None of them are broken. Informed me that it sounded like a bottom end issue with the engine.

Today I got the news that a lifter/camshaft failure, caused shaved material to tear up the bottom end. Dealer informed me that they ordered a new engine (Which is back-ordered for two weeks).

At least the engine is still under the factory warranty. I do have a 8 year 100k Maximum Care warranty on the truck with a 0 deductible.

My question is, has anyone else had this happen? Is there anything I can do not to have this happen in the future? I have always had the oil changed with Mobil One Synthetic 5W20 with the Mopar Filter.

I'm not really upset, the way I look at it is that I get a brand new motor and that it happened under the factory warranty. Dealer has been good and informative. I'd rather not have to go thru this again.

I've read that I should NOT allow this motor to idle for long periods of time. Is this true? A motor that can't sit and idle?
I've read this on several postings, what is considerd a long idle time. I guess law enforcemnt should not be using the Hemi Eng, Ii's got something to do with poor oil circulation not getting to the cam. (Design flaw)?? The only recommendations are to stay on top of oil change intervals. sorry this happened to you. At 48,000 miles your engine shelled itself? A complete engine swap? Ridiculous!!!! Shameful!! Its good you have it under warranty still. I just bought a Laramie at 68,000 miles. paid thousands for a warranty. Planned on owning it a long, long time.. We'll see...

BowDown

Reaction score
I've read this on several postings, what is considerd a long idle time. I guess law enforcemnt should not be using the Hemi Eng, Ii's got something to do with poor oil circulation not getting to the cam. (Design flaw)?? The only recommendations are to stay on top of oil change intervals. sorry this happened to you. At 48,000 miles your engine shelled itself? A complete engine swap? Ridiculous!!!! Shameful!! Its good you have it under warranty still. I just bought a Laramie at 68,000 miles. paid thousands for a warranty. Planned on owning it a long, long time.. We'll see...

45 psi at idle isnt poor oil circulation. I suspect the failure case will probably have more to do with oil change frequency and the type of oil and oil filter used.

Idle time shouldnt matter either, the only thing that's happening at idle vs driving is wilder fluctuations in the heating and cooling cycles. IE driving, coolant and oil temps stay relatively the same vs idling, with no air flow until the fan turns ons, coolant/oil will fluctuate from ~200°/208° to ~220°/230°.

You'll have a few failures, Ford and GM are experiencing lifter and AFM lifter failures as well; I'd bet its oil change interval as the lifer and MDS screens are very sensitive to dirt in oil

Screenshot 2023-12-08 080832.png
Screens for oil on the MDS solenoid

Screenshot 2023-12-08 080912.png

Notice the clearances on modern lifters, this is a HEMI lifter

Ford godzilla lifter issues

Oil circulation and lifter tech isn't new or un-figured out. IMO, these longer suggested oil/filter changes are part or of the issue or the issue. Driving 5000k miles on an oil change? Id change the filter at 5K at least then change both at 7-8K miles but I wouldn't go more than 5K miles on the same oil filter and personally, Id change both at ~5K miles

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
45 psi at idle isnt poor oil circulation.
If you're referring to the above pic, notice oil and trans temps. Idle time in "at temp" police cars is the usual failure mode.

Just some thoughts of mine, not really diehard on anything.

Goes in Monday for a loud engine rpm whine, probably etorque bearings. 59k

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
If you're referring to the above pic, notice oil and trans temps. Idle time in "at temp" police cars is the usual failure mode.

Just some thoughts of mine, not really diehard on anything.

Goes in Monday for a loud engine rpm whine, probably etorque bearings. 59k
The comment was poor oil circulation, at 45psi, you don't have poor oil circulation. I'm simply not a believer in the idle time myth or that the hemi has some inherent design flaw, there's no logic behind any it but people should do what they want

noealmeida94

Reaction score
Well now I"m a bit upset. I guess because the engine failed and theres a two week back-order on the engine. The dealer does not give out loaners. FCA said I would have to rent a vehicle on my own and they *MAY* reimburse me for it.
Ever got that reimbursement?

Rhott25

Reaction score
I don't believe idle hours by itself will necessarily cause it, since there are many (like the truck I mentioned) that are going strong with many idle hours and no issues. Dirty oil will definitely be a problem since it can gum up the needle bearings in the lifter; so a high quality oil filter from Royal Purple or Wix might help mitigate it, as well as changing your oil on time.

Myself I run Redline 5w-30 oil, as many user reports suggest this oil removes the lifter tick. This oil is outside of factory spec so if you run it and a lifter goes anyway, if they catch you running it you void your warranty. I run it anyway because I believe it is a better oil and I'll take my chances on preventing damage with this high quality oil. If it really is a better oil then I'd rather give my engine the best shot it has to prevent wear etc.

I also get my oil tested from Blackstone, the hope is that if my engine is starting to go, the analysis would show high and unusual amounts of metal/minerals in the oil.
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with 76,200 miles. I've taken it to the dealer to get every oil change on time. Now I'm being told by the dealer that 1.Ram is aware of the problem 2. My extended warranty that i paid for to cover 76,000 miles is over. I have taken insane care of this truck and i find it ridiculous that a manufacturer can sell a defective truck knowingly.

silver billet

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with 76,200 miles. I've taken it to the dealer to get every oil change on time. Now I'm being told by the dealer that 1.Ram is aware of the problem 2. My extended warranty that i paid for to cover 76,000 miles is over. I have taken insane care of this truck and i find it ridiculous that a manufacturer can sell a defective truck knowingly.

Do you have a broken engine or are you just worried about it?

Users who are viewing this thread