5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RAM 2500 Deisel Towing Issues (with Hensley)

Engineerd

Reaction score
Hello All,

Just curious and hoping that I can get some assistance or tips on an issue I'm having. I swapped out my 2018 Ford F-150 XLT (gas) with a 2019 RAM 2500 Cummins mainly for towing reasons. We have a large 36 ft camper that we haul around quite a bit in the summer and had plans on going cross country in the future. I didn't feel comfortable in my F-150 given that the ride was pretty rough and acceleration was a bear (felt like I had to jump out and push it at times). The camper dry, is roughly 8,200 lbs. When we have it loaded its over 10,000 lbs. I did install a Reactive suspension on there and it did seem to help (on the F-150) and a Hensley hitch since thats the gold standard on hitches and solving sway issues.

Anyway, in comes my newer 2019 RAM 2500 Mega (diesel). I was thinking that I wouldn't have the porpoising or side to side pulling/pushing that I got from my F-150. NOPE, dead wrong. Honestly, its as if its worse in my RAM then in my Ford aside from acceleration (RAM gets up and goes way better). I have E-Rated tires (inflated to 80 PSI in back and 70 psi in front) on the truck. Trailer tires are set at 80 PSI and with a TPMS all look consistent. I got my new Stinger that has to have a 6-inch drop so I can stay nice and level on the Hensley. I went on the highway with this and I had to pull over to the side since my trailer was swaying horribly. Never had it do it to that degree with my F-150 which is shocking to me. I thought maybe its a sway bar issue so I have been messing with those a lot. First tried it very lose, crazy bumpy ride though and saw some pretty bad swaying of the trailer. So I then tightened it down REALLY far, further then I had to with my F-150. Which ended up helping with sway but the ride was insanely stiff and I had the side to side pulling (and there was very little wind) quite often. Now, I do have air bags and I have played with these as well, keeping them at 5 PSI and going to 30-35 PSI but didn't really see a difference. I thought maybe a loading issue on the camper but we haven't loaded it any differently with the F-150 but still, I moved some stuff more towards the front of the trailer. Didn't seem to help. As a result, whats been "working" is just tightening down the sway bars quite a bit, moving that weight to the front of the truck, but like I said, its very stiff and the ride is really bad on roads that of course are bad or just not super consistently level. This truck was suppose to eliminate a lot of that "white knuckle driving" but it hasn't at all. The wife isn't too pleased that the ride feels worse then in the F-150 (was a big part of the reason I sold her on getting a newer truck since I made the case we could go on longer camping trips further out). Anyway, any help/tips is appreciated. I don't really have access to scales (pretty far away) otherwise I'd get that info for you guys. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread