5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 19-Speaker Harman Kardon® Premium Sound system

Chap442

Reaction score
I Have the 3500 longhorn and the HK system sounds like an old am radio- showed tech bulletin to dealer and they say it only applies to the Ram 1500. It is in the shop now. Do you really think the HK system in the 1500 is different from the one in the 3500?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I Have the 3500 longhorn and the HK system sounds like an old am radio- showed tech bulletin to dealer and they say it only applies to the Ram 1500. It is in the shop now. Do you really think the HK system in the 1500 is different from the one in the 3500?
Different cab, different number of speakers...but I’d bet pretty much everything else is identical.

AALiVEE

Reaction score
I have to say i was a bit worried about the sound after reading this thread, but after taking delivery a few weeks back i have to say that the HK stereo in my 2020 limited sounds way better than good, as a reference i have a pair of Dynaudio C4 and Passlabs amps at home.
Very happy with the sound in my truck, as for any stereo. in any car it is good And does a good job.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to say i was a bit worried about the sound after reading this thread, but after taking delivery a few weeks back i have to say that the HK stereo in my 2020 limited sounds way better than good, as a reference i have a pair of Dynaudio C4 and Passlabs amps at home.
Very happy with the sound in my truck, as for any stereo. in any car it is good And does a good job.
I am always surprised to hear people say they don't like the sound. I am a bit of an audiophile with a very expensive home system and am very happy with the setup in my Longhorn.

Totally agree. It is better than the B&O system I had in my 2019 Mustang for sure. Pretty sure it is better than the 2014 Ram Alpine premium I had too. I do think the Alpine had more bass though.

Z mann R2

Reaction score
2020 Rebel 12 here with a build date of Jan 20th 2020 and my HK speakers sounds FREAKING AMAZING! So I would say if some kinda update is needed for you guys you better go get it done lol

lewgar

Reaction score
I took delivery of a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited recently, the HK sound system sounds fantastic. Something changed from 2019 to 2020. I have listed through various sources, Android Auto, Bluetooth, and XM, all sound good. FM I have not listened to. I am normally listening on 7-10 sound level. Bumping up to 20-25 is nice and loud with the pano roof open and rear window. Debating on doing the polyfil on the sub.

Last edited:

Z mann R2

Reaction score
I took delivery of a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited recently, the HK sound system sounds fantastic. Something changed from 2019 to 2020. I have listed through various sources, Android Auto, Bluetooth, and XM, all sound good. FM I have not listened to. Debating on doing the polyfil on the sub.
Ooooo what’s a “polyfil”?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I took delivery of a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited recently, the HK sound system sounds fantastic. Something changed from 2019 to 2020. I have listed through various sources, Android Auto, Bluetooth, and XM, all sound good. FM I have not listened to. I am normally listening on 7-10 sound level. Bumping up to 20-25 is nice and loud with the pano roof open and rear window. Debating on doing the polyfil on the sub.
Same here on volume level (after the amp TSB) on my 2019. 5-7 if I only want background music, 8-15 for something I really like, or 20+ if I'm totally jamming (but not for extended duration). I've seen 38 maybe twice, and it's not a sustainable volume (VERY loud).

Danny_TheHouseCook

Reaction score
Same here on volume level (after the amp TSB) on my 2019. 5-7 if I only want background music, 8-15 for something I really like, or 20+ if I'm totally jamming (but not for extended duration). I've seen 38 maybe twice, and it's not a sustainable volume (VERY loud).
Good description of volume settings. However, I have NEVER ventured into the last setting on your list:eek:

dandar

Reaction score
HK sounds great with very little distortion, however it's too bass heavy. It's as if it has permanent loudness button enabled. I always had the bass cranked up in my previous radios even with aftermarket systems having a subwoofer, but in this one bass is set at zero and sometimes I think it's a bit much. Of course if I change it to -1 then I think it's not enough and go back to 0 :D Go figure.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
HK sounds great with very little distortion, however it's too bass heavy. It's as if it has permanent loudness button enabled. I always had the bass cranked up in my previous radios even with aftermarket systems having a subwoofer, but in this one bass is set at zero and sometimes I think it's a bit much. Of course if I change it to -1 then I think it's not enough and go back to 0 :D Go figure.
A long, long time ago, some members shard settings based on calibrating the system for neutral response. Check out this post by @ExcursionDiesel for his assessment and recommend settings: https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...t-harman-kardon-system.2505/page-6#post-44633

Starting with those settings, I “turned up” my bass to -5 or -4...lol.

dirtfreak20

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to identify if this is still an issue with the 2020s? The TSB is for early 2019s. I just bought a 2020 Rebel and granted I have not had much time in there with the stay at home order but I’m not sure mine has the volume or thump others are talking about here. One of the first things I had to do was turn the bass up and be in the 20s for volume to really be into a song.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to identify if this is still an issue with the 2020s? The TSB is for early 2019s. I just bought a 2020 Rebel and granted I have not had much time in there with the stay at home order but I’m not sure mine has the volume or thump others are talking about here. One of the first things I had to do was turn the bass up and be in the 20s for volume to really be into a song.
Based on that last sentence, there’s no way that truck has the amp update. Then again, if it gets loud enough for you in the 20s, and everything else is acceptable, you’ll need to decide if it’s actually a problem.

STR

Reaction score
I just picked up a ‘20 Rebel w/the Harman Kardon (19 speakers/900 watts), and it sounds amazing. Definitely one of my favorite features with the truck. I had concerns from reading some of the reviews, particularly that it was it underpowered. That’s certainly not the case with my system. It has detailed highs, clear mids, and deep lows. The bass thumps, but can be easily controlled by the EQ as desired. It sounds 10X better than the upgraded Bose in my C7/Z06, and on par with the HK in my Jeep GC. If you’re on the fence, jump! (y)

Last edited:

jasnak

Reaction score
I just picked up a ‘20 Rebel w/the Harman Kardon (19 speakers/900 watts), and it sounds amazing. Definitely one of my favorite features with the truck. I had concerns from reading some of the reviews, particularly that it was it underpowered. That’s certainly not the case with my system. It has detailed highs, clear mids, and deep lows. The bass thumps, but can be easily controlled by the EQ as desired. It sounds 10X better than the upgraded Bose in my C7/Z06, and on par with the HK in my Jeep GC. If you’re on the fence, jump! (y)
I care from a 2019 Silverado traillboss to a 2020 rebel with the Harmon system and I would have to say that Bose system had better sound with the sub and all in all better sound all together. I am really disappointed in the Harmon sound. When I got in the truck the first thing I did was try and find the equalizer setting to make this Harmon sound better. I have no idea if this is the way it’s suppose to sound or it needs this update. I have the 12 inch screen also

Reactions: STR

STR

Reaction score
I care from a 2019 Silverado traillboss to a 2020 rebel with the Harmon system and I would have to say that Bose system had better sound with the sub and all in all better sound all together. I am really disappointed in the Harmon sound. When I got in the truck the first thing I did was try and find the equalizer setting to make this Harmon sound better. I have no idea if this is the way it’s suppose to sound or it needs this update. I have the 12 inch screen also

I just came from Z71 w/Bose and have the premium Bose in my C7 Z06, and I couldn’t disagree with you more. I find that the HK system sounds better than both. Yeah, I think your system needs the update.

kjaminet22

Reaction score
I as many have found the HK system lacking, coming from a 13 RAM with aftermarket 10" sub I wanted more bass. If you are listening to SiriusXM try switching to a high quality source like Amazon HD music or downloaded files from a USB. It makes a HUGE difference. The bass is increased a lot and everything sounds more crisp. I'm no longer looking into an aftermarket sub. There's a bunch of articles that describe how compressed XM is vs other sources.

John

Reaction score
There is a technical service bulletin to solve that issue. Go to your dealer for the fix!

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online