5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 19-Speaker Harman Kardon® Premium Sound system

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Sorry for the thread drift: So it sounds like there will be 2 full-size SUV's based on the new 1500, the Jeep Grand Wagoneer and the new Durango? Just some different sheet metal and trims? Not really sure why they wouldn't just do this under the Ram branding. I'd be looking really hard at a full-size SUV with an interior like my Limited.

It's the way they delineate the differences between the brands. that's what happens when one company does 4 brands (Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler/RAM). Also missing is a small/mid pickup (Al la' Chevy Colorado, Ford Ranger). Similarly, every other US brand has a small & full size SUV (Expedition/Explorer - Suburban/Traverse/Blazer) On one hand, it's good to focus on a specific market - and we surely benefitted from that with this new RAM. OTOH - they're missing a huge segment - for people like me that would love an upscale RAM 1500 based fullsize SUV.

On the other OTHER HAND. I'm so happy with my Ram - I don't know that's I'd go with an SUV anymore.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled 19 Speaker HK System discussion.

(LOL)

Rick

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I understand why they do it under different brands, just surprised that they use the Ram 1500 truck platform and don't offer a Ram truck branded version.

I would like to have a shorter vehicle that I can actually park in the garage. The Ram Crew + short bed is too long to fit, yet my Tahoe would. I'm also thinking about replacing our sedan in the next couple of years.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry for the thread drift: So it sounds like there will be 2 full-size SUV's based on the new 1500, the Jeep Grand Wagoneer and the new Durango? Just some different sheet metal and trims? Not really sure why they wouldn't just do this under the Ram branding. I'd be looking really hard at a full-size SUV with an interior like my Limited.

I'm with you. My wife would by a Limited trim SUV version tomorrow if they offered it.

rellekt

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2019 Ram 3500 with the upgraded sound system. When I position the sound to the center, the trebles far outweigh hearing any bass; in fact, I don't hear any at all. When I moved the sound towards the rear, the bass picked up more, but nothing like I experienced in my other Ram with the Alpine system. I have the treble set to lowest setting, mid at 0, and bass all the way up. I would appreciate any advice.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2019 Ram 3500 with the upgraded sound system. When I position the sound to the center, the trebles far outweigh hearing any bass; in fact, I don't hear any at all. When I moved the sound towards the rear, the bass picked up more, but nothing like I experienced in my other Ram with the Alpine system. I have the treble set to lowest setting, mid at 0, and bass all the way up. I would appreciate any advice.

there is a TSB for the HK system. The first thing I would check is whether it applies to your build and if so get it applied.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can’t believe they are still letting new rams roll out without the HK update already loaded. My HK is set to center, trebles are high and bass will shake the mirrors at volume 17

jfcody3962

Reaction score
Ditto. The HK in my truck is very loud, and has great treble and bass. Of course different audio sources sound better than others, with XM being the worst (worse than HD FM).
iPod and Amazon..Pandora...etc...sound the best.

ChryslerVette

Reaction score
Does anybody know what the amp puts out. I know the Alpine puts out 500 watts into 10 speakers(9 speakers plus subwoofer). I know it's not broken down like this but estimate 500 divided by 10 is 50 watts per speaker.
I believe 900 Amps - 19 speakers

tlowc34

Reaction score
Found this on speaker location and details. Didn't see it in the thread when I read through earlier. My apologies if this is a double post.

BuckRebel2020

Reaction score
Hey guys, just catching up here. I just replaced my 2014 Laramie with the Alpine system with a 2020 Rebel with the HK system. After fooling with the equalizer, it sounds really good, but there is no thump! Is there a separate control for the subwoofer? The sound is comparable to the alpine, but the base is just not there unless I am missing something.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, just catching up here. I just replaced my 2014 Laramie with the Alpine system with a 2020 Rebel with the HK system. After fooling with the equalizer, it sounds really good, but there is no thump! Is there a separate control for the subwoofer? The sound is comparable to the alpine, but the base is just not there unless I am missing something.
Odd - seems like it may not have the amp update. If anything, the bass needs to be turned way down afterwards!

Patsy1099

Reaction score

yes there is a TSB for the HK system. Take it to the dealer and ask them to apply the TSB for the HK system. You can find the exact TSB over in the TSB thread

Guppydriver

Reaction score
A bit of a thread revival so my apologies.

I am looking at purchasing this month, and my biggest dilemma is whether to spring for level 2 on a Laramie. It’s not a great bang for your buck package- it essentially gives you four items that level one doesn’t. It’s a horrible bang for you buck if the HK isn’t to your liking.

So my question....

Is it safe to assume that any 2020 Ram I buy will have the amp firmware installed as it has been around for a while or do they still build them with the old firmware and wait for the customer to initiate the request?

Wreed91

Reaction score
A bit of a thread revival so my apologies.

I am looking at purchasing this month, and my biggest dilemma is whether to spring for level 2 on a Laramie. It’s not a great bang for your buck package- it essentially gives you four items that level one doesn’t. It’s a horrible bang for you buck if the HK isn’t to your liking.

So my question....

Is it safe to assume that any 2020 Ram I buy will have the amp firmware installed as it has been around for a while or do they still build them with the old firmware and wait for the customer to initiate the request?
I'm currently waiting to take delivery on my 2020 Laramie Longhorn 2500, waiting on my dealer to fix my truck since there is a stop sale recall placed on all heavy duty trucks with the 68RFE transmission. The bass hits ok but the volume has to be in the mid 20's with the bass EQ set to max. so I'm assuming the update still isn't done on the new 2020 models. I have my TSB printed out and will have them do the update before I leave the dealer.

braggster

Reaction score
yes there is a TSB for the HK system. Take it to the dealer and ask them to apply the TSB for the HK system. You can find the exact TSB over in the TSB thread
How do you know if your truck has already received the update short of asking the dealer?

Patsy1099

Reaction score
How do you know if your truck has already received the update short of asking the dealer?

I don’t think you do. The members have said their HK sounded like garbage before getting the TSB done but sound is very subjective. I don’t have the HK system so I can’t begin to try and describe the difference. I would mention it to the dealer the next time you’re in and just tell them it doesn’t sound nearly as good as it should and then reference the TSB so they can make sure it gets done.

Barty88

Reaction score
So... has anyone just done a simple speaker upgrade to the HK system? Was thinking of doing front doors with a Kicker component, Kicker 6x9s in back doors and kicker tweeters in dash corners.

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
would think a 2020 already has the new amp firmware standard as the TSB came out in Sept 2019 or so

Users who are viewing this thread