5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 with Trailer Tow Group - Question regarding my new boat/trailer

JimD007

Reaction score
I agree with the recommendations for transom straps. I haven't towed with my truck yet but I carry a couple bars and balls and a wrench to mount the balls under the rear seat. You can get all this at Walmart. It is also not expensive. I carry a 1 7/8 and a 2 inch ball. Your boat is probably not a 1 7/8. Make sure to get the balls with the bigger bolt thread. It is what you need and is higher rated (but a couple more dollars).

With the transom straps the boat should stay put but many people rely on the wench to keep the boat on at the front. My fishing boat had a chain that I clipped on once the boat was on the trailer. A wench can fail, the chain is unlikely to. Only a few dollars, cheap insurance.

Getting a boat on the trailer with the water moving across the direction you need to travel will not be fun and help is great to have. If you do not have poles on the back (I did not) it is best to not put the trailer all the way in the water. Winch it the last few feet. That way you can drive up (gently) onto the trailer and the boat will at least kind of stay in place while you get the winch on it. If it has rollers you should be able to pull it on fairly easily. If it has beds, it will pull easier if you put a little dish washing soap on the beds. Won't hurt the boat.

I didn't get a trailer with my pontoon. It stays in it's boat slip in my back yard. After several decades of trailering a boat it is nice not to have to any more.

Users who are viewing this thread