5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 with Trailer Tow Group - Question regarding my new boat/trailer

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
Boat is in order. 20’ 4000 lbs. It has a tandem trailer. Trailer has disc breaks.

Truck has the trailer tow package, but my understanding is that it is only relevant to electric breaks?

Called the RAM dealer, they literally said sorry google it or the boat dealer should know since they are selling you a boat. How about no, you tell me because you sold me the truck.

ANYway, just looking for information on what my trucks features are even good for. Or what I should move forward with towing it.

flyfingers

Reaction score
Not sure exactly what info you may be looking for so with that being said I can tell you that if you have a factory brake controller in your truck then the answer is "yes", it will control the brakes on your boat trailer IF they are electric. The truck brake controller doesn't care if they are disc or drum just if they are electric. A lot of (not all) brakes on boats are surge brakes to which the truck integrated brake controller will have no affect over. Either way your truck will handle that boat just fine.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would imagine that a 4,000 lb boat would probably have surge brakes rather than electric brakes. Surge brakes work automatically from the momentum of the trailer and will not interface with the brake controller on your RAM. So yes, the brake controller is only relevant to electric brakes.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
I would imagine that a 4,000 lb boat would probably have surge brakes rather than electric brakes. Surge brakes work automatically from the momentum of the trailer and will not interface with the brake controller on your RAM. So yes, the brake controller is only relevant to electric brakes.
Ah ok. Yes, they are surge brakes. So the tow package is essentially rendered useless to my needs. Extra cooling under the hood is great, but 4,000 lbs isn’t exactly a huge amount of weight.
Is a sway bar or some equivalent product relevant for my application? Thanks.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
Not sure exactly what info you may be looking for so with that being said I can tell you that if you have a factory brake controller in your truck then the answer is "yes", it will control the brakes on your boat trailer IF they are electric. The truck brake controller doesn't care if they are disc or drum just if they are electric. A lot of (not all) brakes on boats are surge brakes to which the truck integrated brake controller will have no affect over. Either way your truck will handle that boat just fine.
Is a sway bar or an equivalent product relevant for my application?
And yes, they are surge brakes.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ah ok. Yes, they are surge brakes. So the tow package is essentially rendered useless to my needs. Extra cooling under the hood is great, but 4,000 lbs isn’t exactly a huge amount of weight.
I tow an 18 foot boat, single axle trailer that has a total loaded weight of around 3,500 pounds; I just hitch up and go. You should be fine just hitching up your boat; its not really big enough or heavy enough to require a Weight Distribution Hitch. Your biggest concern should be determining the appropriate drop for your hitch; you want the truck/boat to be level with each other. Here is a good reference: https://www.etrailer.com/faq-ballmount.aspx

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am a bit confused what you are actually asking.

But with a Bighorn your trailer tow group got you a good bit.

A Bighorn comes standard with just the bumper class 3 hitch.

All Hemis get the heavy duty cooling.

The trailer group got you the class 4 hitch which you would need to pull the boat. And will allow for the drop ball mount that is mentioned.

Are you asking if your truck can tow the boat? Cause yes it can ,no issue there.

Are you asking what else you can tow? Cause you can tow many different things.

Last edited:

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, a 20' 4000 pound boat is not going to stress your truck enough. Like Billy James above said just make sure your drop hitch is a good height and off you go.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
I am a bit confused what you are actually asking.

But with a Bighorn your trailer tow group got you a good bit.

A Bighorn comes standard with just the bumper class 3 hitch.

All Hemis get the heavy duty cooling.

The trailer group got you the class 4 hitch which you would need to pull the boat. And will allow for the drop ball mount that is mentioned.

Are you asking if your truck can tow the boat? Cause yes it can ,no issue there.

Are you asking what else you can tow? Cause you can tow many different things.
So no weight distribution system or a sway bar, etc?

Essentially just asking for any information experienced people can tell me regarding towing something similar to my boat with a similar vehicle.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
No, a 20' 4000 pound boat is not going to stress your truck enough. Like Billy James above said just make sure your drop hitch is a good height and off you go.
What all items do I need to purchase to get the boat/trailer and truck level? I have the class IV receiver. No hitch or anything just yet.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
I tow an 18 foot boat, single axle trailer that has a total loaded weight of around 3,500 pounds; I just hitch up and go. You should be fine just hitching up your boat; its not really big enough or heavy enough to require a Weight Distribution Hitch. Your biggest concern should be determining the appropriate drop for your hitch; you want the truck/boat to be level with each other. Here is a good reference: https://www.etrailer.com/faq-ballmount.aspx
What all items do I need to purchase to get the boat/trailer and truck level? I have the class IV receiver. No hitch or anything just yet.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You need to do this measurement and then go buy a drop ball mount. You will want one that has more capacity than your boat. And you will want the ball to be the proper size...usually 2inch and rated the same or more than the mount. Or also an adjustable one if you will be towomg more than one trailer.

I couldn't get just the pic to load. But here is a link that will explain what you need.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You need to do this measurement and then go buy a drop ball mount. You will want one that has more capacity than your boat. And you will want the ball to be the proper size...usually 2inch and rated the same or more than the mount. Or also an adjustable one if you will be towomg more than one trailer.

I couldn't get just the pic to load. But here is a link that will explain what you need.

Listen to this guy. Although typically a 3-4" drop hitch will work for most cases of light trailering.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You will be just fine. I tow a 9,300Lb Boat with surge brakes. Boat trailers never have electric brakes because you submerge them to launch and retrieve the boat. New boat.jpg

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You will need to measure the height of your hitch and the height of your boat coupler to determine the proper drop to select. You should buy a class IV ball mount with a 2" ball. You could go class III; but that is close to maxing out on weight for you. Insofar as height (or receiver drop), that depends on your measurements. For example, I was using a 3 1/4 drop ball mount with my boat initially due to the measurements I got. However, after towing a few times it felt like there was too much tongue weight (you can feel it in the handling and braking); so I purchased a 2" drop. The 2" drop works well for my boat. Guys with the air suspension can get away with 3" to 4" drops; but I found that my Laramie (with no air suspension) sags a bit with the weight on it. Going to a 2" got me level. Since you are fairly new to this, I recommend that you purchase what they call a "starter kit"; it will come with the mount, the ball, and the pin. I also recommend getting a lock pin for your ball mount. Something like this is what you will need: https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45534-T...s+iv+towing+starter+kit&qid=1603402662&sr=8-1.

I do agree with your RAM dealer though. If you are buying the boat new, then the dealer that you are buying the boat from should be able to set you up. What you are using to tow is more a function of what you are towing rather than the truck. Although some boat dealers don't carry all the equipment you may need. Here is another tip: don't let the boat dealer tell you that you don't need transom straps because the weight of the boat will keep it on the trailer. Always use transom straps.

It sounds like you may be new to the whole boat towing thing. There is a little more to it than just pulling the trailer. You need to know how to make sure that the boat is safe and ready for towing (front and back strapped, motor up, transom saver for motor, etc..). If you are unsure, watch some videos online or go to a local ramp and ask some boaters questions. Don't be embarrassed to ask people who have been doing it; it's more embarrassing to drop a boat or drag your motor and ruin it. Most people are more than willing to give pointers and help.

One more thing. I HIGHLY recommend getting these if your trailer doesn't already come with them: https://www.amazon.com/CE-Smith-Trailer-Guide-Lighted/dp/B001RE2ELQ?th=1. These lighted trailer guides make life a lot easier to see the trailer position when the boat is not on it. They are also very helpful when driving the boat onto the trailer to position the boat....especially when its windy and choppy.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
You will need to measure the height of your hitch and the height of your boat coupler to determine the proper drop to select. You should buy a class IV ball mount with a 2" ball. You could go class III; but that is close to maxing out on weight for you. Insofar as height (or receiver drop), that depends on your measurements. For example, I was using a 3 1/4 drop ball mount with my boat initially due to the measurements I got. However, after towing a few times it felt like there was too much tongue weight (you can feel it in the handling and braking); so I purchased a 2" drop. The 2" drop works well for my boat. Guys with the air suspension can get away with 3" to 4" drops; but I found that my Laramie (with no air suspension) sags a bit with the weight on it. Going to a 2" got me level. Since you are fairly new to this, I recommend that you purchase what they call a "starter kit"; it will come with the mount, the ball, and the pin. I also recommend getting a lock pin for your ball mount. Something like this is what you will need: https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45534-T...s+iv+towing+starter+kit&qid=1603402662&sr=8-1.

I do agree with your RAM dealer though. If you are buying the boat new, then the dealer that you are buying the boat from should be able to set you up. What you are using to tow is more a function of what you are towing rather than the truck. Although some boat dealers don't carry all the equipment you may need. Here is another tip: don't let the boat dealer tell you that you don't need transom straps because the weight of the boat will keep it on the trailer. Always use transom straps.

It sounds like you may be new to the whole boat towing thing. There is a little more to it than just pulling the trailer. You need to know how to make sure that the boat is safe and ready for towing (front and back strapped, motor up, transom saver for motor, etc..). If you are unsure, watch some videos online or go to a local ramp and ask some boaters questions. Don't be embarrassed to ask people who have been doing it; it's more embarrassing to drop a boat or drag your motor and ruin it. Most people are more than willing to give pointers and help.

One more thing. I HIGHLY recommend getting these if your trailer doesn't already come with them: https://www.amazon.com/CE-Smith-Trailer-Guide-Lighted/dp/B001RE2ELQ?th=1. These lighted trailer guides make life a lot easier to see the trailer position when the boat is not on it. They are also very helpful when driving the boat onto the trailer to position the boat....especially when its windy and choppy.
I am taking everything you say straight to my amazon cart. Thanks a lot. Do you suggest those exact items or similar items? Any other pointers? I am happy to keep reading.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am taking everything you say straight to my amazon cart. Thanks a lot. Do you suggest those exact items or similar items? Any other pointers? I am happy to keep reading.
Those links are for items I recommend specifically. For the ball receiver, I linked the 2"; it should work for you if your truck is stock. You may find that you need a 3 1/4 inch later when you have the boat; but you can always pick up another later. Its a gamble on which is correct until you have the boat; but its never bad to have options. Personally, I have a 2" drop, a 3 1/4" drop, and a 5" drop because I had to buy different ball receivers for different trailers that I tow. A 2" should get you home safely and get you started. For the CE Smith Trailer Guides, buy the 60". The 40" trailer guide can be too short for some applications; you can always cut the 60" down to the size that you need.

Here is a good video to start with, sponsored by RAM even:

This is a good one:

Here is a good video explaining transom savers (as I mentioned previously):

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Boat trailers absolutely can have electric brakes - I know, I have them and will never go back to surge brakes.
Interesting and didn't know that. I am on boat #6 (3 brand new and 3 used) and have never had electric brakes with any of the 6 trailers and was told that they don't do well in salt water which is why they aren't used. +1 for the lighted guides mentioned above and the transom straps which dealers seem to always skimp on giving you.

TheRays

Reaction score
Picked up a 22ft boat and tandem axle trailer this summer, both weighing a total of about 5000lbs with a full tank of fuel. My 2019 Big Horn tows it just fine. Some lessons learned to be ready on delivery day:

As others mentioned above, find out in advance your trailer’s ball size. Dealer told me one size and when I showed up to pick up my rig, it was a totally different ball size. Luckily I had both sizes with me. Definitely get a drop hitch - about 4” should do and get one you can flip upside down in case you need to raise your hitch height.

I also was not aware that the trailer does not come with transom straps, so bring straps. Like someone else above, my dealer told me I did not really need transom straps as the weight of the boat should keep it on the bunks. But just do a youtube search of boat trailering fails and you will see why transom straps are a good/cheap insurance policy. If you have rollers on your trailer, than absolutely you’ll need transom straps.

Users who are viewing this thread