5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 engine issues

srtdodge05

Reaction score
Without knowing what software update was used it's hard to comment, but whatever it was doesn't sound like it fixed the problem. The software update might've applied, but it's a possibility there's still a hard failure.

By any chance did they flash per TSB 21-009-20? (should be on your work order)

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 042744 miles.
I'll have to see if I can find the paperwork. It was back in February when they did the software update.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only way I would see you getting a new truck would be lemon laws but I think it has to be more than one issue in a certain time frame
Agreed here.
There has to be a fix by the 3rd time (insert LMFAO) or within 30 days. It does not have to stay at dealership for those 30 days either.

srtdodge05

Reaction score
Cleared the code last night and it came right back this morning.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 36

itcontractor

Reaction score
I leased my 2019 RAM 1500 Big Horn in October 2019. Drove it for over a year with no issues. Last week, it ran rough coming home from work and stalled twice on the way to the dealership, along with flashing check engine light and a "Service" message on the dash LED screen. Dealership diagnosed it as a Cylinder 5 misfire, replaced the cylinder and also reprogrammed the Engine Control Module and also replaced the Starter as it was blown due to the amount of cranking to get the thing to start.

Picked it up three days later, put 158 miles on it, and last night it stalled again. This time, I could not get it restarted so I had it towed back to the dealership. Dealership is now saying that the engine is blown (something about rods cracked) and that the damage may have been from "metal shavings" from when the first cylinder was blown.

Thankfully the dealership is good to deal with and has put me in a loaner vehicle, but it just seems out that RAM would have so many vehicles with the same issues.

I'm from Michigan, so I'm not sure if this thread is based in a certain area of the country. I'm about 10 minutes from where they make them at Sterling Heights Assembly.

srtdodge05

Reaction score
Finally got my engine fixed. They had to replace the fuel injector on #2 and 3. Fuel mileage is starting to improve again. Sound of the engine and the power is back to normal.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Sure seemed like an isdue for some owners back last year but all is quiet now. Maybe some bad small batch of injectors?
Modern engines are so complicated...

It would help if service managers or advisors would read their own product forums in order to stay up on issues. That could help catch problems or be able to not just be “parts changers”. (Might be asking too much...”) 🙄

srtdodge05

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Sure seemed like an isdue for some owners back last year but all is quiet now. Maybe some bad small batch of injectors?
Modern engines are so complicated...

It would help if service managers or advisors would read their own product forums in order to stay up on issues. That could help catch problems or be able to not just be “parts changers”. (Might be asking too much...”) 🙄
The service advisor I had was great. He took care of everything and kept me updated. I just have to go back and get my brakes replaced do to a TSB for noise.

muzikmafiatim

Reaction score
I had a cylinder 5 injector issue back in 2019. 2 weeks ago running and errand, I shut off the truck, come back out, and the truck is running rough and has the check engine light on. Seemed and felt exactly like the same misfire issue that I had a few years ago. Drove it to the dealer the next morning. They said it is a cylinder #7 misfire. They checked the plug, wire, coil, and injector. None of those fixed the issue. They did a compression check and said all of the "good" cylinders had 180, and that #7 was low ( 140). so they think it is a head issue. Parts backordered...waiting for parts. I have a loaner at least. From what I can read online anything above 100 shouldn't cause a misfire, so I have my doubts that they are finished finding the issue. Truck has 32k on it, so still under warranty.

muzikmafiatim

Reaction score
3 weeks later and I have my truck back. New Head on the odd side of the block and running like normal.
Well.....that was short lived. A week after getting it back....driving it home tonight and it started misfiring again and the check engine light is back on. I totally had my doubts about it being a bad head. Back to the shop tomorrow ...just fantastic going into a holiday weekend without a vehicle!

muzikmafiatim

Reaction score
Back in the shop AGAIN for misfire code on cylinder 3. Now at least it only happens when it rains:rolleyes:. They say they will "fit" me in when they can. Might be 2 weeks!

muzikmafiatim

Reaction score
Back in the shop AGAIN for misfire code on cylinder 3. Now at least it only happens when it rains:rolleyes:. They say they will "fit" me in when they can. Might be 2 weeks!
So cylinder 3 had a bad injector. They fit me in today!!

So recap of my misfire issues. 2019 cylinder 5 had a bad injector, Nov 2021 cylinder 7 had bad compression so they swapped the head, and then yesterday cylinder 3 had a bad injector.

RobsRam

Reaction score
Bringing an old thread back to life. I own a 2019 Ram 1500 e-torque currently experienced a stall issue. (Had many electrical issues which started 6 months after purchase just look for my prior posts.). While driving my truck stalled. Tried to restart until battery died. Found fuse F59 blown. Replaced it, truck started only to stall 500 ft down the road. Towed to Ram dealer. Dealer said they found left bank 3rd coil back wiring arching to bracket (E-torque Gen. Bracket) runs along riverside of engine above injectors. They taped the bracket and taped the injector wires. Drove 6 hrs home yesterday so far no stall. Copied picture from J found on page 2 of this thread. 1693441438706.png

Attachments

• 1693441404245.png
    1693441404245.png
    829.3 KB · Views: 3

Users who are viewing this thread