5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 easy wire tap for bed lights

Reaction score
Try wiring it with a relay. Have the tapped wire be your trigger for the relay, then it uses battery power for the lights. Takes a bit more to wire up but shouldn't trip the circuit that way

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
I'll try that tomorrow,

Reaction score
Figured out my problem, needed to change the cargo bulbs to led, now everything works right.

john3mary

Reaction score
Looks great! I used the same light strips, except their 3-piece version which also has a strip for end of the bed.

If you have factory bed lights, you can tap into the bed lights by removing one taillight (I used the driver side).
Please tell me more how to tap in. I mean I can figure out the tapping in, but did you just push down on a tab on the top of the LED light assembly? How do you remove the LED assembly on the driver's side to access the wiring? How did you feed the wires to the OEM LED assembly to the LED strips you added?
Thanks, I want to do this.

John

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Please tell me more how to tap in. I mean I can figure out the tapping in, but did you just push down on a tab on the top of the LED light assembly? How do you remove the LED assembly on the driver's side to access the wiring? How did you feed the wires to the OEM LED assembly to the LED strips you added?
Thanks, I want to do this.

John
I used some 3M t-taps to tap into the factory plus and minus wiring; I will have to check the wire colors when I get home.

But removing the driver side taillight is pretty easy. Open the tail gate, and you’ll see two or three screws that hold the taillight in place. Remove them, then give a firm tug on the taillight to remove it and get easy access to the wiring.
I’d be move specific, but I went out of town for the New Year. Speaking of which, happy New Year!

john3mary

Reaction score
Jimothy,

I just bought my first RAM, a 2020 1500 Limited on 31 Dec 2022. Thanks for the info on the bed lights. I know the forum had a lot of other notes if I would have kept reading, I appreciate the quick response. I am looking to buy some Skid plates too but most places charge huge shipping costs. I found this one, www.jksuperstore.com, only $50 for shipping to WA state for a couple skid plates which are heavy, other sites were going to charge....like over $200 for shipping.

Happy New Year!

John

john3mary

Reaction score
I used some 3M t-taps to tap into the factory plus and minus wiring; I will have to check the wire colors when I get home.

But removing the driver side taillight is pretty easy. Open the tail gate, and you’ll see two or three screws that hold the taillight in place. Remove them, then give a firm tug on the taillight to remove it and get easy access to the wiring.
I’d be move specific, but I went out of town for the New Year. Speaking of which, happy New Year!
Jimothy,

So I have the truck home now, ready to add some LEDs to the existing bed lights. Are you saying you accessed the existing bed lighs thru the tail light or can you remove the bed light with the push button switch on the drivers side and tap into the wires there?

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Jimothy,

So I have the truck home now, ready to add some LEDs to the existing bed lights. Are you saying you accessed the existing bed lighs thru the tail light or can you remove the bed light with the push button switch on the drivers side and tap into the wires there?
Removing the tail light is much easier. I did the driver side.

Drop the tailgate, and you’ll have two Torx screw and two…things…that you can pop out with a trim tool (or even a flat head screwdriver). From there, your taillight light is easy to remove, giving easy access to the bed light wiring.

Anthheath

Reaction score
Wonder if this would work for 4 gen also? My son wants to do the same thing to his truck. Going to be doing this to my 5 gen..

Dewskii

Reaction score
Thank you for the great write up on this. I am only seeing around 11 volts and what appears to be subpart amperage come through on the tan wire with the brown stripe, so it does not light up the LEDs fully. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

glandbo

Reaction score
I also installed some basic LED lights in my bed. It wasn’t a strip light like many of you have used but very similar and same brand. If the truck has been off for a little while, the lights work great. Hit the unlock button, open the tailgate, or open a door and the cargo light and bed lights turn on! However, if the truck is running or was recently turned off, the cargo light and bed lights will flash and then turn off. About ten seconds late flash again and turn off. Has anybody seen anything similar and do you have a fix?

Reaction score
I also installed some basic LED lights in my bed. It wasn’t a strip light like many of you have used but very similar and same brand. If the truck has been off for a little while, the lights work great. Hit the unlock button, open the tailgate, or open a door and the cargo light and bed lights turn on! However, if the truck is running or was recently turned off, the cargo light and bed lights will flash and then turn off. About ten seconds late flash again and turn off. Has anybody seen anything similar and do you have a fix?
I haven’t experienced any of that. Have you tried disconnecting the bed lights to see if it still does it?

Gren71

Reaction score
Exactly as described, appreciate the writeup!
View attachment 180130

would you mind taking some pictures of where you connected and where you put the ground? and even how the lights are wired and connected in the bed? Ive been wanting to do this but just like the OP, all of the write ups are just a little more than I am comfortable doing...but this seems like the best way to do it.

derwewent

Reaction score
would you mind taking some pictures of where you connected and where you put the ground? and even how the lights are wired and connected in the bed? Ive been wanting to do this but just like the OP, all of the write ups are just a little more than I am comfortable doing...but this seems like the best way to do it.
I've attached the only two other photos I snapped:
  1. Confirmation of the wire color by direct inspection of cargo light
  2. exposing the harness from the driver-side passenger floor (easy)
Missing piece for me was this video. Gen 4 but it shows exactly how to apply the LEDs and wire them up. I tapped a ground in the brake light as described. Some tips:
  • I used the same LEDs from the video. The strips fit exactly along the side with _no_ gaps.
  • If you have a sprayed liner, get the 3m tape mentioned earlier in this thread. That stuff will rip the liner off before coming off.
  • Cut the fuse off as in the video and wire up at the harness for safety
  • You will need LEDs in the cargo lights
Good luck on the project.
PXL_20240330_150339174.jpg PXL_20240330_161448048.jpg

Gren71

Reaction score
I've attached the only two other photos I snapped:
  1. Confirmation of the wire color by direct inspection of cargo light
  2. exposing the harness from the driver-side passenger floor (easy)
Missing piece for me was this video. Gen 4 but it shows exactly how to apply the LEDs and wire them up. I tapped a ground in the brake light as described. Some tips:
  • I used the same LEDs from the video. The strips fit exactly along the side with _no_ gaps.
  • If you have a sprayed liner, get the 3m tape mentioned earlier in this thread. That stuff will rip the liner off before coming off.
  • Cut the fuse off as in the video and wire up at the harness for safety
  • You will need LEDs in the cargo lights
Good luck on the project.
View attachment 180152 View attachment 180153
Thanks!!

I ordered my utility rails last night. Once they come in and I install them, the lights are up next.

Users who are viewing this thread