5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 big horn making strange noise

nicholasadamsjr

Reaction score
So I have a big horn quad cab with 8k miles on it. About a month ago it makes this groaning noise that changes pitch with the speed...lower pitch when slow, higher pitch when going faster. It has done this several more times randomly. When I shut the truck off and restart it the noise goes away.I took a technician at a local dealership for a ride and asked him what he thought. He said it sounds like a dying whale and had never heard a noise like that before coming from a vehicle. Thoughts?
I bought a 2020 Dodge Laramie and my truck makes the same sounds. Does anyone know what this could be? It's very strange and I can't figure it out. Please help!

Hotsaw

Reaction score
So I have a big horn quad cab with 8k miles on it. About a month ago it makes this groaning noise that changes pitch with the speed...lower pitch when slow, higher pitch when going faster. It has done this several more times randomly. When I shut the truck off and restart it the noise goes away.I took a technician at a local dealership for a ride and asked him what he thought. He said it sounds like a dying whale and had never heard a noise like that before coming from a vehicle. Thoughts?
I’m having the same issue and like the rest of the post talk about it only happens when there are people or a bunch of gear in the backseat

brakervan

Reaction score
Just got home for the year and rolled over to 25,000 miles, so I decided I'd give my piece of the pie to someone who is looking at getting one or to whomever. Also figured that there isn't many 19's with this many miles that have their word out.

Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox

Last edited:

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I bought a 2020 Dodge Laramie and my truck makes the same sounds. Does anyone know what this could be? It's very strange and I can't figure it out. Please help!

hello @nicholasadamsjr and @Hotsaw. Our team is sorry to hear that you both are experiencing these concerns.

If you choose to address this matter with your dealer, please let us know. We would like to offer additional support by creating and escalating a case on your behalf regarding this. We look forward to hearing from you both!

Hannah
Ram Cares

fcportousa

Reaction score
I am having the same exact issue. It seems to happen when I have people in the back seats. Went for a fishing trip yesterday loaded up.the coolers and 5 friends. The whale call was kind of funny because it was a fishing trip. Took it to RAM a few months back they and I couldn't duplicate it. Happened again yesterday. Hopefully next time I take it in they can fix this. Truck now has 22k miles on it. Any help on this is appreciated

1500RamPa

Reaction score
I am having the same exact issue. It seems to happen when I have people in the back seats. Went for a fishing trip yesterday loaded up.the coolers and 5 friends. The whale call was kind of funny because it was a fishing trip. Took it to RAM a few months back they and I couldn't duplicate it. Happened again yesterday. Hopefully next time I take it in they can fix this. Truck now has 22k miles on it. Any help on this is appreciated
I just discovered this same issue. I got my 2019 1500 Bighorn on Aug 9 (traded in my 2014 RAM 1500 express). I too will be checking with the service department at the dealer to see if there is any fixes for this.

The drone was horrible at low speeds, driving around Antietam and constantly slowing down and speeding up. While I was on the highway cruising at 62-68 mph, the drone occurred every 5-6 seconds but was not as loud at very slow speeds. This all just happened on 9/5/2021. I didn't record any audio because I planned to do that on 9/6. On 9/6 it was just my fiancée and I. I put 300 miles on it with no drone. When we got home she hopped in the back and I though I heard the drone twice after just driving 10 miles. I want to try again with everyone in the truck again, but after see a few comments on here I think the two passengers in the back has a big part in this issue.

Please let me know if the dealer has resolved this. I will do the same if I get any help from the dealer.

fitz7

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram 1500 just started this crazy noise today. Fine one minute, stopped for gas, then DANG, on restart, a loud MOAN, like the engine was straining, but rpm's were fine. Shut off radio, rolled down windows, NO Change. Got home, let vehicle sit for an hour, called Service department of purchasing dealer - (clueless), went back out to check, and problem GONE.....???? Fords (F-150) for 40 plus years, hope I haven't made a $50K mistake. Great experience up until now......if someone finds the fix, Please post. Also, a fluke with the uConnect display...went out yesterday, back on today????

fitz7

Reaction score
My ram 1500 warlock had the rear diff replaced at 46,500 kms. 2 months without my truck sitting at adodge dealership waiting for bearings and pinion. I pay $570 to have my truck towed to me. Moment i drive it home its vibrating like crazy resisiting the gas pedal like a seized caliper but hubs are not hot. I call them right away, they say its probably my unevenly worn tires and the new diff needs to be driven on and the issue should be temporary. I drove 5 kms to work over 3 days. Wobbles coukd have been compact snow but the 3rs day drivinf to work the snow was gone and i still had the vibration. Then driving home from work i get thw whirring metal parts sound. Had the vehicle 3 days... 2 weeks to get it looked at then add another month for them to get bearings again. Get my truck back and now in 2 x 2 and 4 x 4 especially i hear a random wirrrr noise. My winter tires make noise but this wir sound can be hars randomly amongst the tire noise. Took it back 20 minutes later.. he said it must be my tires again making the noise. It sounds like it is coming from right under the csnter of the truck. They told me to keep driving on it and see if it gets worse... i don't trust tsking my truck outside any city limits now as its winter. Selling my truck as soon as i get to the bottom of whats going on. Will not be buying another ram.

RomeoRAM

Reaction score
2019 RAM Tradesman (32,000 miles-purchased Nov. 2019) I had intermittent issues w/strange moaning noise when first starting up. If I shut truck off and re-started, it went away. It was the Active Noise Cancellation system. Dealer did a reset. Happened again after reset but hasn't happened recently.
Had several issues w/UConnect display:
There would be green horizontal lines throughout back-up mode display. Dealer replaced camera cable....didn't fix it. Dealer did a software update that I think took care of it. I was about a couple of weeks out of (36 month) warranty and they tried to charge me for the update.
Every once in a while I have issues with the UConnect display staying blank when starting the truck. There would be no radio, backup monitor, or anything. Shutting the truck down and restarting would not cure it. It would come back on after driving for a while after starting up again. This has happened about 5 or 6 times since I bought the truck (new). I haven't been able to figure out what the blank display problem is. I know if I take it back to the Dealer, it ain't gonna be cheap!

RomeoRAM

Reaction score
I’m having the same issue and like the rest of the post talk about it only happens when there are people or a bunch of gear in the backseat
Active Noise Cancellation system. Mine did the same exact thing. I described it as sounding like a sick whale. Dealer did a reset(??) it has happened since the reset but only once.

I also had a strange noise coming from rear seat area when there were people sitting in back. Had it back to Dealer about 3 times before they found it. They put some rubber tape on metal surface that contacts the seat when it is down position. That took care of the noise, but wtf.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
2019 RAM Tradesman (32,000 miles-purchased Nov. 2019) I had intermittent issues w/strange moaning noise when first starting up. If I shut truck off and re-started, it went away. It was the Active Noise Cancellation system. Dealer did a reset. Happened again after reset but hasn't happened recently.
Had several issues w/UConnect display:
There would be green horizontal lines throughout back-up mode display. Dealer replaced camera cable....didn't fix it. Dealer did a software update that I think took care of it. I was about a couple of weeks out of (36 month) warranty and they tried to charge me for the update.
Every once in a while I have issues with the UConnect display staying blank when starting the truck. There would be no radio, backup monitor, or anything. Shutting the truck down and restarting would not cure it. It would come back on after driving for a while after starting up again. This has happened about 5 or 6 times since I bought the truck (new). I haven't been able to figure out what the blank display problem is. I know if I take it back to the Dealer, it ain't gonna be cheap!
Hi RomeoRAM,

Our team can help check your software and any available updates that may be able to address this for you. Feel free to PM us if you'd like support with locating further information.

Steph
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread