5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 motor woes....

J33P

Reaction score
Hi All,

I brought my 2019 to the dealer because I was noticing a coolant leak from aorund the starter, turns out it was the head gasket. I only have 80k on the truck so powertrain warranty would cover it, took a month to get a head gasket, but once they torn it down they said to me they notice the push rods are worn. FCA wanted them to tear it down more and this morning said FCA wants them to put it back together and do a compression test, then decide if it will be covered under warranty. I am not getting the logic of putting it back together only to take it apart again ? seems odd. I have a feeling they are putting it back together so they can deny my claim and I can drive the truck away. If the head gasket is covered, and the motor is apart it seems more sensible to make a decision on warranty now so I can just pay for the parts before they put it back together from the head gasket work....

They are blaming my CAI that would void my warranty, which I find no logic when Mopar sells a CAI as well. I have always using Mobile 1 + mopar filters since day one as well. It's over a month now with no truck, very frustrating.

All that said, are worn push rods something that would indicate the lifter / cam failures ?

The saga continues,

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not exactly sure how the pushrods would be worn, but nothing else. Or how a CAI would have anything to do with pushrods wearing. Seems either there is a miscommunication about what's actually wrong, or the dealer was just trying to get more warranty work from Ram while they had the truck.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do they have any pictures to show you the damage that they "found"? Or did you get to see the parts first hand?
I can't imagine the pushrods are worn without other damage being present.

You say 80k so either you have an extended warranty or the diesel? Fill out your signature so we all know what you got.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Since they have to remove the pushrods before they take the heads off, you would think if they were that bad they would've picked up on that first. I would proceed very cautiously and with an excess of documentation from this point forward if I were you

J33P

Reaction score
Do they have any pictures to show you the damage that they "found"? Or did you get to see the parts first hand?
I can't imagine the pushrods are worn without other damage being present.

You say 80k so either you have an extended warranty or the diesel? Fill out your signature so we all know what you got.
80000 kms. It's 2019 Rebel sorry about that.

J33P

Reaction score
Since they have to remove the pushrods before they take the heads off, you would think if they were that bad they would've picked up on that first. I would proceed very cautiously and with an excess of documentation from this point forward if I were you
Good point, the initial call I got was when they were tearing it down for the head gasket that's when the tech noticed the push rods. I'll press them for info as I feel like I am pretty mechnically knowledgable enough to not fall for BS ... I hope. I am in Canada so I don't know if anything is different for teh dealers here, but I know in the past when I have asked for info they said they could not provide it because FCA doesn't allow it.

J33P

Reaction score
Day 71, still no truck. the latest is the dealer is waiting for Technical Assistance to determine if the air filter was the cause of the engine damage. Keep in mind I had no engine issues except the small leak from the head gasket which was leaking on the outside of the head, I didn't see any coolant in the oil. but maybe there was a little, I don't know. REgardless , I don't understand why it takes so long to decide. The truck is sitting in the yard back together, so why can't I just drive it around while it's being decided, making it worse isn't going to make a difference if the motor is going to be changed.... I think I have been patient enough.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
An air filter isn't going to cause a head gasket issue. Or even worn pushrods. If they need to phone a friend to figure that out, I'd never take it back to that dealer for service.

J33P

Reaction score
An air filter isn't going to cause a head gasket issue. Or even worn pushrods. If they need to phone a friend to figure that out, I'd never take it back to that dealer for service.
I agree. The case is with FCA seeking approval for a new engine, the dealer has been waiting for the approval. Well, that's what I am being told.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree. The case is with FCA seeking approval for a new engine, the dealer has been waiting for the approval. Well, that's what I am being told.
Are there lemon laws in Canada.

J33P

Reaction score
Went into dealer and was told FCA wants a leak down test performed now. Why go through all this and possibly deny the warranty claim, makes no sense. I was also told the head gasket leak may not be covered because of the CAI which is what I brought it in for originally. The saga continues... I'll check that CAMVAP out

Lungs414

Reaction score
Is this the dealer you purchased from? If so I wouldn’t use them ever again. Are they giving you a loaner? Really sucks. Hope it works out in the end.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OP: would still be nice to know which engine you have in your Rebel in your signature for easy reference. You can get different engines both gas & diesel in the Rebel as all other trims.

Call other Ram dealers around you & inquire. Read reviews on them. They might have useful warranty info. That’s why I ordered through my new dealer. They basically fix everything, nearly no questions asked due to who they use for warranty which is a company called CNA. Better warranty, cheaper or the same as Mopar depending on which package you prefer, & their approval ratings sound far superior to Mopar. The windshield company that repaired mine upon trade in purchases their Chrysler vans & Ram trucks at this dealer & they have replaced engines past 300,000 miles & repaired other items that weren’t even covered in the warranty. Not sure how they pull the paperwork off for approval, but also don’t care as long as they help out.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
OP: would still be nice to know which engine you have in your Rebel in your signature for easy reference. You can get different engines both gas & diesel in the Rebel as all other trims.

Call other Ram dealers around you & inquire. Read reviews on them. They might have useful warranty info. That’s why I ordered through my new dealer. They basically fix everything, nearly no questions asked due to who they use for warranty which is a company called CNA. Better warranty, cheaper or the same as Mopar depending on which package you prefer, & their approval ratings sound far superior to Mopar. The windshield company that repaired mine upon trade in purchases their Chrysler vans & Ram trucks at this dealer & they have replaced engines past 300,000 miles & repaired other items that weren’t even covered in the warranty. Not sure how they pull the paperwork off for approval, but also don’t care as long as they help out.
It's obvious he is talking about the Hemi just based on his descriptions

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's obvious he is talking about the Hemi just based on his descriptions

Does the diesel not have head gasket/push rods/CAI options/potential coolant leaks/compression test compatibility?

I’m not a diesel guy, so legit question. Seems like something in his descriptions might be obvious to you but not everyone else.

Still, my comment is still valid “for ease of reference” without having to read every single comment for validation.

Scram1500

Reaction score
The ecodiesel and Pentastar are an overhead cam, no push rods

RamCares

Reaction score
Hi All,

I brought my 2019 to the dealer because I was noticing a coolant leak from aorund the starter, turns out it was the head gasket. I only have 80k on the truck so powertrain warranty would cover it, took a month to get a head gasket, but once they torn it down they said to me they notice the push rods are worn. FCA wanted them to tear it down more and this morning said FCA wants them to put it back together and do a compression test, then decide if it will be covered under warranty. I am not getting the logic of putting it back together only to take it apart again ? seems odd. I have a feeling they are putting it back together so they can deny my claim and I can drive the truck away. If the head gasket is covered, and the motor is apart it seems more sensible to make a decision on warranty now so I can just pay for the parts before they put it back together from the head gasket work....

They are blaming my CAI that would void my warranty, which I find no logic when Mopar sells a CAI as well. I have always using Mobile 1 + mopar filters since day one as well. It's over a month now with no truck, very frustrating.

All that said, are worn push rods something that would indicate the lifter / cam failures ?

The saga continues,
Hey J33P,

This sounds like a lot of frustration. We'd like to know if we can assist in anyway. If you'd like us to look into this for you, we'd love for you to send us a direct message.

Callie
Ram Cares

J33P

Reaction score
Is this the dealer you purchased from? If so I wouldn’t use them ever again. Are they giving you a loaner? Really sucks. Hope it works out in the end.
Actually my original dealer sold me this vehicle as "new" as a dealer demo, with old paperwork, found out after it had a carfax hit for 2k which they didn't disclose to me even after I asked the GM many times. The owner said to me " we didn't have to tell you" and the paperwork was from 2018 and I bought it in 2019, I didn't catch the date at the top as it's not something I would have expected. They also were supposed to change the oil when I bought it, but only reset the couter, I looked underneath and as you know on the 5th gen changing the oil is a pain so all the dust and such was still on the sway bar and oil filter. I tried fighting with the dealer but in the province of quebec there is little protection for consumers compaired to Ontario.

Users who are viewing this thread