5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 motor woes....

J33P

Reaction score
OP: would still be nice to know which engine you have in your Rebel in your signature for easy reference. You can get different engines both gas & diesel in the Rebel as all other trims.

Call other Ram dealers around you & inquire. Read reviews on them. They might have useful warranty info. That’s why I ordered through my new dealer. They basically fix everything, nearly no questions asked due to who they use for warranty which is a company called CNA. Better warranty, cheaper or the same as Mopar depending on which package you prefer, & their approval ratings sound far superior to Mopar. The windshield company that repaired mine upon trade in purchases their Chrysler vans & Ram trucks at this dealer & they have replaced engines past 300,000 miles & repaired other items that weren’t even covered in the warranty. Not sure how they pull the paperwork off for approval, but also don’t care as long as they help out.

Yes 5.7, I thought posting in the 5.7 V8 forum would answer that. I don't recall the diesel or v6 available in 2019 in th Rebel ? anyways, this dealer (I didn't get the truck from here) has ALWAYS been good with my JEeps, and have sponsored my jeep club for years as well., never really had any issues and their techs seem quite knowledgable . The info I am getting is FCA keeps asking them to do more work, maybe it's all smoke and mirrors, but why keep having the mechanics do more work , that's costing the dealership $$$, only to possibly deny my claim for an air filter. Who is to to say the head gaskets WASNT leaking internally and collant caused excessive wear in the oil, I don't know.

J33P

Reaction score
Is this the dealer you purchased from? If so I wouldn’t use them ever again. Are they giving you a loaner? Really sucks. Hope it works out in the end.
Also, no rental as it's powertrain warranty, only rental in bases 60k 3yr warrnaty.

Lungs414

Reaction score
That's one awful place. Wishing you luck.
If Ram agrees to repair I would stay clear of that place.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
An air filter isn't going to cause a head gasket issue. Or even worn pushrods. If they need to phone a friend to figure that out, I'd never take it back to that dealer for service.

Why wouldn't it? What's the purpose of an air filter? To keep contaminates and particulates out of the engine oil, right? And why do we not want contaminates in the oil? Because it causes more engine wear?

I saw a video on Project Farm's YT channel where he tested lots of air filters. Most of the factory replacements from auto stores, etc. were fairly similar. Some were clearly better brands than others, but overall they were somewhat similar in protection. Then he tested a "performance" filter. I think it was a K&N but the same would be true of all these CAI filters that aren't engineered or tested at all. The filtration on the K&N was virtually non-existant. The amount of junk that filter allowed to pass through in the air was shocking. Easy to see how it makes more power with unobstructed airflow, but say goodbye to the longevity of your engine.

I don't know which brand CAI the OP has on his truck but if I was a mechanic assigned to look at a truck with worn valvetrain parts and I noticed that it had a chinese intake and filter on it, that would be an immediate red flag.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most things I've seen with poor aftermarket CAI and stuff is either poor filtering, leading to increased wear as you can't get abrasive grit out of the engine once it's in there. The big one is simply hydrolocking because most CAI draw air down lower and it's easier for them to suck up water. Water will not compress so if you suck up enough that the cylinder can't complete a revolution the engine pops. Usually its a bend rod. Sometimes the piston gets a hole or the head comes off or you blow a head gasket. It's often all of those at once and the engines dies and will never start again. Sometimes you get lucky if you were idling and you can just remove a spark plug and crank the engine over to squirt out the water.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why wouldn't it? What's the purpose of an air filter? To keep contaminates and particulates out of the engine oil, right? And why do we not want contaminates in the oil? Because it causes more engine wear?

I saw a video on Project Farm's YT channel where he tested lots of air filters. Most of the factory replacements from auto stores, etc. were fairly similar. Some were clearly better brands than others, but overall they were somewhat similar in protection. Then he tested a "performance" filter. I think it was a K&N but the same would be true of all these CAI filters that aren't engineered or tested at all. The filtration on the K&N was virtually non-existant. The amount of junk that filter allowed to pass through in the air was shocking. Easy to see how it makes more power with unobstructed airflow, but say goodbye to the longevity of your engine.

I don't know which brand CAI the OP has on his truck but if I was a mechanic assigned to look at a truck with worn valvetrain parts and I noticed that it had a chinese intake and filter on it, that would be an immediate red flag.
Most of the K&N filters have to be sprayed with oil or they just don't work. No one reads the instructions at all anymore.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Air filter is to keep dirt out of the cylinders, not the crank case. That's why you run an oil filter. An air filter isn't going to cause excess wear on the pushrods. If you don't understand that, then maybe you don't know where the pushrod is, or what it's function is.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's particle size and its makeup. "Dust" is everything from soft organic stuff that won't really cause a problem, to stuff you'd think wouldn't like pollen which is incredibly hard and tiny, harder than sand or metals. Once those get sucked past the air filter and into the engine ( in the cylinder bores ) they get super heated and either get trapped in oil along the cylinder walls and get ground up until they are fine enough to clear the rings and enter the oil circulation, or they get blasted out the exhaust and can score everything they pass on the way out, the valves, sensors and emissions stuff. It's microscopic damage but it adds up. On older unfiltered engines, especially stuff like lawnmower you can often see wear on the valves seats from this. The organic crap that can burn cokes up the backs of the valves. It will however eventually find its way into the crank case.

A bad air filter wont kill your engine in a year, or maybe even 10 years, but it will cause much more wear and if you are not doing perfect maintenance on oil changes and other things it multiplies the damage. It also goes for how and where you drive. It you are on very dusty roads, or very wet roads or drive into water, you risk much more damage than someone just commuting on the highway every day. Those "severe duty" maintenance schedules are there for a reason, it does add up, even with proper filters and oil changes.

J33P

Reaction score
So here is where I am at. Old service manager was demoted to Hyundai as a service advisor, I guess they were short on staff and promoted her, no realy knowledge or experience, but good at dishing out BS and lies. New regional service manager guy was honest with me, admitted the dealer messed up. After they did the gasket in may, they started it, bent a rod, someone didn't put it together right. so then the cover up started from the SM because now the dealer would have to pay, and give me a rental. Will all the BS about trying to get a new engine, I suspect the SM tried to cover it up by trying to get a new motor which would be under warranty vs. having the dealer pay for all this. Thats said, the new SM said right away CAI won't affect my warranty. The issue was using the term "Aftermarket intake" which caused FCA to be concerned . keep in mind this is what I am being told now. Anyways, all lies baout doing a compression test, leak down test...etc etc the truck was just sitting there. So, the new SM got it moving, only needed 1 push rod, it came in, put back together, next day , leaked in same spot, so the head was sent out to check for cracks and such, now it's back and the new head gasket should be in today. 103 days without my truck so far, summer ruined for vacations, cancellation penalties.etc.... A lot of incompetance that went on. I should be in a rental right now considering they have admitted fault.

I think I should get some compenstations. 5 year 150kms extended warranty might be acceptable. lol.

I hope to sit with the owner and GM on this.

J33P

Reaction score
It's an AFE I have on there. Mopar makes one so it can't be that bad to have one. On my Jeep WK I had an AEM, which I had a read made them for Mopar. Anyways. CAI all good, aftermarket "INTAKE" bad. lol. I thought they would complain more about the catch can!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So here is where I am at. Old service manager was demoted to Hyundai as a service advisor, I guess they were short on staff and promoted her, no realy knowledge or experience, but good at dishing out BS and lies. New regional service manager guy was honest with me, admitted the dealer messed up. After they did the gasket in may, they started it, bent a rod, someone didn't put it together right. so then the cover up started from the SM because now the dealer would have to pay, and give me a rental. Will all the BS about trying to get a new engine, I suspect the SM tried to cover it up by trying to get a new motor which would be under warranty vs. having the dealer pay for all this. Thats said, the new SM said right away CAI won't affect my warranty. The issue was using the term "Aftermarket intake" which caused FCA to be concerned . keep in mind this is what I am being told now. Anyways, all lies baout doing a compression test, leak down test...etc etc the truck was just sitting there. So, the new SM got it moving, only needed 1 push rod, it came in, put back together, next day , leaked in same spot, so the head was sent out to check for cracks and such, now it's back and the new head gasket should be in today. 103 days without my truck so far, summer ruined for vacations, cancellation penalties.etc.... A lot of incompetance that went on. I should be in a rental right now considering they have admitted fault.

I think I should get some compenstations. 5 year 150kms extended warranty might be acceptable. lol.

Holy crap, that's horrible. I hope the GM does something to make it right with you. Extended warranties are good for some things, personally, if you have a lease or loan, I'd definitely be asking for them to make the payments for the time it was in shop, and any cancellation fees you incurred because of it.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Unbelievable that that happened, and great that there is someone who is ready and willing to take the bull by the horns. Hope the truck is repaired correctly and back to you soon, and that they compensate you some how for their induced misery!

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Do you know how cheap a pushrod is? If they were straight with you and told you at the beginning, you could have excused a mistake easier. Ridiculous.

J33P

Reaction score
Hi all, so here is the ocles notes. I brought it in April to get head gasket leak (leaking to the pavement not in the engine) they did the work, started it up, bent a push rod. At that point I guess panic set in on the cost to teh dealership and the service manager started the lies to me saying they found all the push rods worn down and has to consult with FCA... blah blah. constant excuses which didn't make sense. I had even opened a case iwth FCA but they don't really help except clal the dealership on your behalf. at least thats how it was for me. so all summer listening to lies and not providing me a rental on their dime because they screwed up. Also the new service manger said "intake" not "cold are intake" so FCA thought it was an actualy after market intake, which riased red flags. had it been decribed properly by the serivce manager/tech as a cold air intake or "air filter" maybe that owuld have helped but the dealer would still be on the hook. the service manager continued to try to get a new motor, actually at one point saying that if I paid it would get repaired quicker. lol (of course it would because the dealer broke it) anyways August rolls around, the service manager is fired, and the regional guy comes in, the motor is put together and returned to me.

I went to inspect ahead of time:
- paint chip on front
- passenger side mirror was knock (scuff mark and doesn't return to proper position without searching for 45second, they are power folding)
- Oil all over outside of truck.

- paint was fixed, new mirror ordered, they cleaned the outside

Got home, noticed under the hood harnesses weren't clipped in and couldn't figure where they went. Also missing the stad off to attach the plastic 5.7l Engine bezel. buddy was over with REbel compared to his, they installed the purge valve upside down, didn't reinstall one of the brackets under the oil fill cap. All parts ordered.

I am still working on compensation for this but what a fiasco. I am still chaing my wobbling rear end, I noticed the passenger side axle seems to be bent as the tone ring you can see with the tires off it making a wobbling motion compared to the other side. frustrating part is I had it in for 1 month in Jan, they changed all the bearings, seal and carrier. onlything left was the axle shaft... ugh, I might just do it myself. I think it's a c clip axle which I have done many on jeeps.

Anyways , what a fiasco

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, so here is the ocles notes. I brought it in April to get head gasket leak (leaking to the pavement not in the engine) they did the work, started it up, bent a push rod. At that point I guess panic set in on the cost to teh dealership and the service manager started the lies to me saying they found all the push rods worn down and has to consult with FCA... blah blah. constant excuses which didn't make sense. I had even opened a case iwth FCA but they don't really help except clal the dealership on your behalf. at least thats how it was for me. so all summer listening to lies and not providing me a rental on their dime because they screwed up. Also the new service manger said "intake" not "cold are intake" so FCA thought it was an actualy after market intake, which riased red flags. had it been decribed properly by the serivce manager/tech as a cold air intake or "air filter" maybe that owuld have helped but the dealer would still be on the hook. the service manager continued to try to get a new motor, actually at one point saying that if I paid it would get repaired quicker. lol (of course it would because the dealer broke it) anyways August rolls around, the service manager is fired, and the regional guy comes in, the motor is put together and returned to me.

I went to inspect ahead of time:
- paint chip on front
- passenger side mirror was knock (scuff mark and doesn't return to proper position without searching for 45second, they are power folding)
- Oil all over outside of truck.

- paint was fixed, new mirror ordered, they cleaned the outside

Got home, noticed under the hood harnesses weren't clipped in and couldn't figure where they went. Also missing the stad off to attach the plastic 5.7l Engine bezel. buddy was over with REbel compared to his, they installed the purge valve upside down, didn't reinstall one of the brackets under the oil fill cap. All parts ordered.

I am still working on compensation for this but what a fiasco. I am still chaing my wobbling rear end, I noticed the passenger side axle seems to be bent as the tone ring you can see with the tires off it making a wobbling motion compared to the other side. frustrating part is I had it in for 1 month in Jan, they changed all the bearings, seal and carrier. onlything left was the axle shaft... ugh, I might just do it myself. I think it's a c clip axle which I have done many on jeeps.

Anyways , what a fiasco
Best of luck. I can only imagine how frustrated you've been. If there's a bright side, it sounds like you're getting close to making the truck "whole" again.

Users who are viewing this thread