5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Limited Ram - Delivered but Dissapointed

Rjanders

Reaction score
G'Day Everybody

I waited 5.5 months for my 2019 RAM Limited, apparently because I chose to get ram box option, which I really wanted.

Finally yesterday I got my new car, its just beautiful, and I love it, but then my RAM and my dealership basically screwed me or at least after 3 RAM trucks, really disappointed me.

I sat down at the dealership when I ordered it, the salesman asked if I planned to tow anything, I said like a small boat or trailer. He suggested I needed to order the Trailer Package, now I thought this meant I would get a tow hitch and the trailer connections, so I said OK.

Now here's the dilemma (and I saw another thread on this) but I think this needs to be said out loud for others to learn. The trailer package is really just the Towing Mirrors + Trailer Brake, nothing more or less than I can see. But here is the killer, that option takes away the 360 degree surround view that was part of a more expensive package I had ordered and also removed the power folding mirrors.

My salesman didn't know about this, didn't warn me about this. Didn't even give me a heads up eg: "if you get this package, do you know a major safety feature and highly promoted feature will be removed" - NADA / NOTHING !!

After we have had the truck for couple hours, we realize something major is wrong, I try to power close the mirrors, then realize that option isn't there, I google and find many others caught and upset by this. I talk to the dealership, basically after many angry calls, the end result is "I am really just stuck with the car" - too bad, its too late, kind of thing. How can this be on a $66,000 truck ? - The supposed most advanced and luxurious truck can't afford to have decent towing mirrors that don't take away 360 degree view, and the dealerships don't even understand the options they are selling their clients.

Now, to be fair to my dealership, the manager offered to take my truck back, as he hadn't sent the title papers yet, But I would have to order a new truck (the last one took 5 months) - they would have to change the trade in value because I had been driving my original trade in for 5 months while waiting for the truck, and I had already changed my insurance and registration over.

Think about this - The Equipment option package cost $2700, that included the 360 degree surround view, the upgrade to tow package cost $400 - I paid $400 to upgrade to mirrors I didn't want and lost features I had paid for in the previously purchased package (major features without warning that would happen)

Is this really the best RAM can do on their top of the line truck ???

Frustrated and Disappointed
Rob

Last edited:

DeanKing

Reaction score
Trying to be the voice of reason here. If I were you, the 5 1/2 month wait would be the thing that irritated me most. I feel you are fortunate they are willing to take it back and let you order another one with no penalty other the actual depreciation you put on your trade. A new one will take 8 - 10 weeks at this point. I will join you in saying that is the lamest "tow package" I have ever heard off. Take a look at what an F150 gives you in terms of cool towing tech. If I recall, they have three levels of towing package. I am going to throw some salt on your wounds: you can actually order the trailer brake controller as a standalone option which means the ONLY thing that the tow package really gives you is those disappointing mirrors. They don't power fold. They don't support 360 camera, and they are chrome (which guys on this forum are finding ways to cover up). I would expect that will be one of the first improvements in any mid year refresh. It just doesn't say luxury truck in 2018. I did debate it myself for a bit but then realized all the bad stuff wasn't worth a tow mirror. I am just going to find some kind of add on thing for the few times I tow. It may block my 360 camera but I would expect that the trailer would as well. I will add one more cautionary tale for people ordering: do your homework on the online configuration first. I ordered a month ago. My salesman and his manager and his manager's manager were all super nice guys who wanted to be helpful. But I knew more about the truck and it's options than they did. This thing is still new. Ram is still getting it's act together. And they have to know how to order for 15 or so different vehicles at an FCA dealership. Most people don't even order. When they started asking me what kind of seats I wanted, I knew there was a problem. My answer to about 10 of the questions was "that is in the package I ordered so I have no idea what you want me to choose". Eventually they called someone at Ram and got it straightened out. Once again: that was a month ago at a busy large volume dealer.

If you want something done right....

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you are within your rights to turn the truck back in. Or at the very least, they should give you a big refund if you decide to keep a truck that you don't really want because their sales person steered you wrong. That should be on their dime.

You probably would not have another 5-month wait this time, as they appear to have fixed the initial supplier problem for 5'7" Ram Box.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get what you want DO NOT accept it. I love the 360 cameras and almost made that mistake and glad I researched before I bought because I almost bought one that had the tow mirrors. In mo opinion this is the stupidest thing RAM ever did. Making this a delete with these mirrors. Makes no sense.

Do Not accept the truck! Just don't.

sgk

Reaction score
My salesman didn't know about this, didn't warn me about this. Didn't even give me a heads up eg: "if you get this package, do you know a major safety feature and highly promoted feature will be removed" - NADA / NOTHING !!

Well, this makes sense, if he didn't know about it how do you expect for him to warn you about it? I get it its frustrating but what do you expect someone that does not know to do prior to your ordering.
If your truly not happy give it back and see if you can do a dealer locate without ramboxes. Or unfortunately, you will need to put up with the non 360/folding mirrors. My sales guy did not know about this also that's why when spending this type of cash research is necessary. I can understand how the first few dozen ppl here(on this forum) made this mistake but about 6 months later these mistakes should be minimized.
The amount of money a truck cost has nothing to do the features it offers or whether its the best Ram can do. For 60+K is the interior the best Chevy and GMC and Ford can do, there are also many other features other brands dont have. Well, this 360 is what Ram doesn't have with the tow pkg. Each manufacturer chooses what options they want to offer. None are perfect but we choose what works best for us.

Rjanders

Reaction score
Get what you want DO NOT accept it. I love the 360 cameras and almost made that mistake and glad I researched before I bought because I almost bought one that had the tow mirrors. In mo opinion this is the stupidest thing RAM ever did. Making this a delete with these mirrors. Makes no sense.

Do Not accept the truck! Just don't.

thanks
I am not sure how I don't accept it, they had me sign the paperwork before I even got a good look at it, other than brief once over

Rjanders

Reaction score
Well, this makes sense, if he didn't know about it how do you expect for him to warn you about it? I get it its frustrating but what do you expect someone that does not know to do prior to your ordering.
If your truly not happy give it back and see if you can do a dealer locate without ramboxes. Or unfortunately, you will need to put up with the non 360/folding mirrors. My sales guy did not know about this also that's why when spending this type of cash research is necessary. I can understand how the first few dozen ppl here(on this forum) made this mistake but about 6 months later these mistakes should be minimized.
The amount of money a truck cost has nothing to do the features it offers or whether its the best Ram can do. For 60+K is the interior the best Chevy and GMC and Ford can do, there are also many other features other brands dont have. Well, this 360 is what Ram doesn't have with the tow pkg. Each manufacturer chooses what options they want to offer. None are perfect but we choose what works best for us.

I suppose I was trying to convey that when you go to a dealership to get help on ordering - it's their job to know, and I think they should have known before accepting new orders - as for the 60k price comment, I suppose I meant that maybe with the total re-build of the 2019 RAM, they could also have looked and upgraded the towing mirrors :)

Reactions: sgk

sgk

Reaction score
I suppose I was trying to convey that when you go to a dealership to get help on ordering - it's their job to know, and I think they should have known before accepting new orders - as for the 60k price comment, I suppose I meant that maybe with the total re-build of the 2019 RAM, they could also have looked and upgraded the towing mirrors :)
absolutely right, it would be nice if dealers had sales ppl that somewhat specialize in various vehicles. LIke having a person that knows there trucks or there Jeeps or Srt lineups of cars. Then we can feel like we're talking to professionals rather than just a salesperson/order taker.
I guess the issue is they are on commision so they won't pass you on to someone that has more knowledge on specific vehicles.

DeanKing

Reaction score
absolutely right, it would be nice if dealers had sales ppl that somewhat specialize in various vehicles. LIke having a person that knows there trucks or there Jeeps or Srt lineups of cars. Then we can feel like we're talking to professionals rather than just a salesperson/order taker.
I guess the issue is they are on commision so they won't pass you on to someone that has more knowledge on specific vehicles.
They also tend not to stay long. I have had three different salespeople at the same FCA dealer in 6 years. I have a ford salesman who has been at the same place 20+ years and knows his sh** but that is rare. My wife jokes they get fired after selling me a vehicle because I beat them down so much on price. Not true. I have affiliate pricing so it’s no negotiation. If the latest guy quits i am going to really start believing it’s me. Kiss of death car buyer.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am not sure if my response will help, but here it is. First, I was lucky to find the forum and was able to change my order and delete the trailer tow package and add the trailer brake controller. That part went well. I've found several issues that are wrong on the website configurator or misunderstood by the dealers. I needed a bench seat, so I went with the Laramie with Level 2 and Advanced Safety. This should have given me the RamCharger (phone charger) and HK sound system. It didn't. I ordered and paid for "rear wheel liners." Guess what, they took my $, but these wheel liners are standard on the Laramie. I guess the material is different, but I simply wanted liners, I didn't care about the material.

I will not even go into the issues caused by the dealership, which required body shop repairs. They also lied (or were grossly uninformed about the Lifetime Warranty, saying it was no longer available (I bought it elsewhere) and ordered the wrong running boards (Gen 4).

So, what's my opinion of the new Ram. I love it. It's a great truck despite the dealer and the frustrations. The 360 camera is cool but I don't really use it...much like some of the "gee whiz" tech on my wife's car--it looks good on paper, but isn't a deal breaker.

I hope things work for you after the long wait. Keep us informed.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
thanks
I am not sure how I don't accept it, they had me sign the paperwork before I even got a good look at it, other than brief once over
Oh. Sorry. Depending on state their could be a buyers remorse in Texas there is not. Some states and some dealers have it. If they haven’t titled it yet they may be willing to work out something. Maybe offer to pay the mileage you put on it.

Not sure. If not then I’m sure at some point there will be an ability to add them.

DeanKing

Reaction score
I am not sure if my response will help, but here it is. First, I was lucky to find the forum and was able to change my order and delete the trailer tow package and add the trailer brake controller. That part went well. I've found several issues that are wrong on the website configurator or misunderstood by the dealers. I needed a bench seat, so I went with the Laramie with Level 2 and Advanced Safety. This should have given me the RamCharger (phone charger) and HK sound system. It didn't. I ordered and paid for "rear wheel liners." Guess what, they took my $, but these wheel liners are standard on the Laramie. I guess the material is different, but I simply wanted liners, I didn't care about the material.

I will not even go into the issues caused by the dealership, which required body shop repairs. They also lied (or were grossly uninformed about the Lifetime Warranty, saying it was no longer available (I bought it elsewhere) and ordered the wrong running boards (Gen 4).

So, what's my opinion of the new Ram. I love it. It's a great truck despite the dealer and the frustrations. The 360 camera is cool but I don't really use it...much like some of the "gee whiz" tech on my wife's car--it looks good on paper, but isn't a deal breaker.

I hope things work for you after the long wait. Keep us informed.
What makes you believe the rear wheel liners are standard on a Laramie? I also ordered that.

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If they are willing to take it back- the wait on a new order should be about 8-10 weeks as others have stated. It’s unfortunate but you might always regret not getting what you paid for and expected!

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I forgot to mention I also ordered the trailer tow package and by the time I realized I made a mistake the truck was in D1. The dealer tried to have it changed via FCA rep but they were not successful. A second order was placed for me on 9/24. The same day the first truck was built! The first order was 8/31. Less then 4 weeks from order to build.

robinxlee

Reaction score
Get the 360 camera. One of the most useful features on the truck and makes it so much easier to park and maneuver. I almost passed on it as well as I kept seeing vehicles in stock that had the tow mirrors locally to me. Fortunately I went ahead and found one out of town. I used to drive a raptor and that was a beast to park...the new truck is 10x easier with the 360 camera.

Bdhays63

Reaction score
I too have the same “upgraded” tow package. It gives you a class IV receiver hitch instead of the standard class III in addition to the tow mirrors and brake controller. I didn’t order mine but I was mad once I read the window sticker thoroughly and saw the power folding color matched mirrors that were deleted. Have you brought up ordering the the mirrors originally optioned? Should be plug and play since the truck was built with those mirrors as spec. I’ve had dealers hook me up before because I’m a good customer. Worth a shot? The worst they could say is no. But more often than not they are willing to help repeat customers especially on a $60k + truck. Also I’m sure you could buy them on your own if that doesn’t work.

Last edited:

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
G'Day Everybody

I waited 5.5 months for my 2019 RAM Limited, apparently because I chose to get ram box option, which I really wanted.

Finally yesterday I got my new car, its just beautiful, and I love it, but then my RAM and my dealership basically screwed me or at least after 3 RAM trucks, really disappointed me.

I sat down at the dealership when I ordered it, the salesman asked if I planned to tow anything, I said like a small boat or trailer. He suggested I needed to order the Trailer Package, now I thought this meant I would get a tow hitch and the trailer connections, so I said OK.

Now here's the dilemma (and I saw another thread on this) but I think this needs to be said out loud for others to learn. The trailer package is really just the Towing Mirrors + Trailer Brake, nothing more or less than I can see. But here is the killer, that option takes away the 360 degree surround view that was part of a more expensive package I had ordered and also removed the power folding mirrors.

After we have had the truck for couple hours, we realize something major is wrong, I try to power close the mirrors, then realize that option isn't there, I google and find many others caught and upset by this. I talk to the dealership, basically after many angry calls, the end result is "I am really just stuck with the car" - too bad, its too late, kind of thing. How can this be on a $66,000 truck ? - The supposed most advanced and luxurious truck can't afford to have decent towing mirrors that don't take away 360 degree view, and the dealerships don't even understand the options they are selling their clients.

Now, to be fair to my dealership, the manager offered to take my truck back, as he hadn't sent the title papers yet, But I would have to order a new truck (the last one took 5 months) - they would have to change the trade in value because I had been driving my original trade in for 5 months while waiting for the truck, and I had already changed my insurance and registration over.

Think about this - The Equipment option package cost $2700, that included the 360 degree surround view, the upgrade to tow package cost $400 - I paid $400 to upgrade to mirrors I didn't want and lost features I had paid for in the previously purchased package (major features without warning that would happen)

Is this really the best RAM can do on their top of the line truck ???

Frustrated and Disappointed
Rob
Sorry and dont mean to be rude but this is extremely old news about the 360 mirror and the tow package. If you would have read this forum 5.5 months ago you would have known this.

Mr. Chow

Just Happy to Be Here!!
Reaction score
So I have ran into the issue with the dealerships and not knowing how to order the truck. So I am on my "3rd" order. 1st was a truck in D1, and scheduled to be delivered in Aug. It was ordered prior to me via dealership and originally had the RamBox, well arrived with no rambox or 3.92 rear end. Okay cool, get me the truck I want, so they attempted #2 with similar outcome 3.92 no RamBox. Finally went to another dealership after I found one on the street with the RamBox. Come to find out, right now, a Dealer can't order one for themselves. It must be a Sold Unit. This ordering started 2 months ago, I will get what I want before I settle and have the 60k truck comment. I keep my trucks for years, so I figured be happy or regret it for X months. You rarely find something of OEM Standards that integrates as well with the truck. So get what you want, and be happy vs 3 years down the road doing a "Mod" that might or might not work or worse case damage a trim panel etc.

Just my 2 Cents

Last edited:

syddog 2000

Reaction score
I really don't have much to add here. However I will say that if the dealer is willing to take it back and you are going to not be happy as is . Do it it will be worth the wait in the long run.

DeanKing

Reaction score
I too have the same “upgraded” tow package. It gives you a class IV receiver hitch instead of the standard class III in addition to the tow mirrors and brake controller. I didn’t order mine but I was mad once I read the window sticker thoroughly and saw the power folding color matched mirrors that were deleted. Have you brought up ordering the the mirrors originally optioned? Should be plug and play since the truck was built with those mirrors as spec. I’ve had dealers hook me up before because I’m a good customer. Worth a shot? The worst they could say is no. But more often than not they are willing to help repeat customers especially on a $60k + truck. Also I’m sure you could buy them on your own if that doesn’t work.
What model did you get? At least on a Laramie the tow pack does not upgrade the hitch or harness. So it is even lamer than it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread