5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 limited - had to replace all 4 tires under 22k miles

RAM309702

Reaction score
Last year I purchased a new 2019 limited with 22" factory wheels. Immediately noticed the vehicle pulled. I called the dealership and had them look at that plus other issues. They called me and said vehicle was ready. I was driving home and noticed it still pulled bad. I called them back and the service manager gave it to me straight. He said they forgot to look at it (even though they documented the concern) and said if it pulls I could bring it back anytime and they would take care of it.

Long story short, I took it back, they wouldn't fix it for me, so I paid for an alignment and had to replace front tires because of uneven wearing. They called and said I could come pick it up, I got in and within 10 seconds of driving noticed it even pulled worse! At this point I wanted my money back for the alignment, but they told me to kick rocks. I called Ram Cares, they had me go to another dealership. Well I just dropped it off and not only are they able to re-create the issue and said it is still not aligned, but looking at my rear tires they are also worn out uneven and needs replaced. I approved the purchase but what the heck, why am I paying to replace 4 new tires at 20k miles? I have high confidence this new dealership can fix the issue, but should I be responsible for paying for all of these tires myself? Thoughts? Has anyone else had this issue or just me?

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your alignment issues. I used to work at a ram dealer and it’s very common for the factory tires to last between 20 and 30,000 miles. This subject was just covered in another part of the forum. You’re not the only one replacing tires around 20,000 miles.

I just had the first oil change tire rotation last week and I have to take the truck back in for a vibration on the highway. Since I used to work there I went back in the shop with the tech and one of the tires that was rotated to the front needed 3.75 ounces it was very much out of balance.

RAM309702

Reaction score
Wow so this is a known issue with RAM? Is there a plan to fix this? I just purchased another set of these 4 tires, is the issue with the wheels or the tires themselves? Will new/better tires last longer?

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Last year I purchased a new 2019 limited with 22" factory wheels. Immediately noticed the vehicle pulled. I called the dealership and had them look at that plus other issues. They called me and said vehicle was ready. I was driving home and noticed it still pulled bad. I called them back and the service manager gave it to me straight. He said they forgot to look at it (even though they documented the concern) and said if it pulls I could bring it back anytime and they would take care of it.

Long story short, I took it back, they wouldn't fix it for me, so I paid for an alignment and had to replace front tires because of uneven wearing. They called and said I could come pick it up, I got in and within 10 seconds of driving noticed it even pulled worse! At this point I wanted my money back for the alignment, but they told me to kick rocks. I called Ram Cares, they had me go to another dealership. Well I just dropped it off and not only are they able to re-create the issue and said it is still not aligned, but looking at my rear tires they are also worn out uneven and needs replaced. I approved the purchase but what the heck, why am I paying to replace 4 new tires at 20k miles? I have high confidence this new dealership can fix the issue, but should I be responsible for paying for all of these tires myself? Thoughts? Has anyone else had this issue or just me?

I'd be contacting Ram Cares again about your unnecessary expenses caused by one of their dealerships clearly not helping and possibly making worse. See what they can do for you about the costs. For the record, I'm at 15K miles and zero issues with alignment. I don't think it a widespread issue, but clearly a valid one for you and others that have it.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I am deeply sorry for the trouble, @RAM309702. If you would be willing to follow up with me via private message to provide your VIN, I would be happy to look into your situation further on my end.
Sorry to hear about your alignment issues. I used to work at a ram dealer and it’s very common for the factory tires to last between 20 and 30,000 miles. This subject was just covered in another part of the forum. You’re not the only one replacing tires around 20,000 miles.

I just had the first oil change tire rotation last week and I have to take the truck back in for a vibration on the highway. Since I used to work there I went back in the shop with the tech and one of the tires that was rotated to the front needed 3.75 ounces it was very much out of balance.
If it would be of interest, please know that I would be happy to escalate a case on your behalf as you address your vibration concern @Zoompastu. Feel free to send us a PM at any point.

Mark
RamCares

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Tell the first dealership to refund your money or file a lawsuit now. No joke...Ford tried doing this crap to customers who bought Fusions and would charge to have oil leaks fixed in the first -25k miles. It took a lawsuit filing to get the dealerships to refund the money....happened to my parents a few years ago

RAM309702

Reaction score
So far new dealership fixed balance and realignment but truck still pulling. Technician thinks it’s a problem with air suspension and notices it’s worse in aero mode. So far they are doing much better over first dealer but I’m concerned I’ve paid for 4 tires and now 2 alignments. I did reach out to Ram Cares hopefully they can make this right.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Oh crap you have air suspension… Yeah that will mess with alignment. Try to leave it in one spot if you can. And again that’s not a ram issue. It’s an air suspension issue. Mercedes, Ram, VW, the brand doesn’t matter. Anytime the vehicle is lowered or raised the geometry is changed. It is difficult to keep proper alignment. Not to say it’s impossible and there may be an issue that the technician needs to continue to investigate. There may not be an issue. If you play with it and move it up and down a lot and drive it in different settings that can cause tire wear. I apologize I don’t mean to beat up you or your truck but air suspension systems bring a whole host of issues... I don’t recommend it if it can be avoided.

The tire mileage issue is not a ram issue it is a auto industry issue. I covered this in another section. I’ll be brief but basically auto manufacturers get tire bids to go on the vehicles from the factory. Which ever tire manufacturer offers the cheapest bid that’s what gets put on the vehicle. A lot of tire manufacturers will even go as far as to modify their rubber compound too cheapen the cost for them as well. At the end of the day we are left with tires that are sufficient enough to get 20 to 30,000 miles at best and we move on to something else. This isn’t always the case but it’s pretty common in the auto industry. Bridgestone Firestone Goodyear Hankook... usually not always these are the main companies involved…

The goodyears on my 2015 lasted almost 30,000 which was pretty common for the SRA Hankook so my wife’s 2015 mini Cooper which we also bought brand new, They were rated for 70,000 miles and we got 19,000 out of them.
The firestones on the diesels usually last about 20,000 miles as well. I sold an awful lot of tires when I worked at the dealership. If customers wanted a tire that lasted a long time Falken Toyo and Yokohama ATs we’re typically what we sold the most.
If you’re looking for a good street tire the Michelin defender LTX will treat you well.

would everyone quit freaking out and immediately saying sue ram and sue the dealer… It’s another annoying thing with customers in the auto industry. Life in general… Usually things can be resolved. Litigation should be reserved for seriously egregious situations.
My .02

@RamCares thank you for the offer but the vibration was taken care of. One wheel tire combo was out of balance. The dealership swiftly took care of it of course at no charge.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So far new dealership fixed balance and realignment but truck still pulling. Technician thinks it’s a problem with air suspension and notices it’s worse in aero mode. So far they are doing much better over first dealer but I’m concerned I’ve paid for 4 tires and now 2 alignments. I did reach out to Ram Cares hopefully they can make this right.
You have Air Suspension???? Crap lol. There's a reason why VW abandoned their air suspension projects YEARS ago....caused nothing but problems...as the guy above has stated: alignment issues, uneven tire wear, ride height getting stuck in the one place you don't want it stuck at. Sorry man....even the Jeep division stated they may end up getting rid of their air suspension options too. Ram is a great truck....air suspension: nightmare.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They called me and said vehicle was ready. I was driving home and noticed it still pulled bad. I called them back and the service manager gave it to me straight. He said they forgot to look at it (even though they documented the concern) and said if it pulls I could bring it back anytime and they would take care of it.
Lmao! Are you kidding???? What part about that didn't throw up every Red Flag on the planet??? (No disrespect intended)

RAM309702

Reaction score
It’s a limited didn’t even think twice about it cause it’s standard. Why sell something that’s plagued with problems? Man this entire experience has been horrible and now I’m feeling like the limited was a mistake. I put SO MUCH time into research and somehow air suspension slipped through the cracks. I’m going to do more research and see what I can come up with on air suspension....

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s a limited didn’t even think twice about it cause it’s standard. Why sell something that’s plagued with problems? Man this entire experience has been horrible and now I’m feeling like the limited was a mistake. I put SO MUCH time into research and somehow air suspension slipped through the cracks. I’m going to do more research and see what I can come up with on air suspension....

There are many, many, people who have and love their air suspension, with zero issues, myself included. You will always find some people that have had poor experiences and swear you should never ever buy it. Just because your truck has air suspension does not in any way make your alignment issues acceptable. Not even close. It is standard in the top trim and your truck should absolutely not be having those issues.

RJS

Reaction score
I don't think you made a mistake with choosing air suspension as it's been on high end vehicles like the Limited and Ford Expedition for a decade. If alignment was an issue they would have discontinued it a while back. Moral of the story, it can be set right. It will take a dealer that will get it right.

On the other hand, when I did my research, I opted for a High end Laramie as the Longhorn was not my style and I thought the Limited with power steps and air suspension were more than I wanted in my plans to keep the truck long term but alignment didn't pop up in my research either.

hunter1234

Reaction score
I usually replace the oem tires at the 30,000 mark, issues with alignments can vary but the first thing I do with a new vehicle is have the dealer, or someone that can, do a road force balance on the tires. Most OEM should be uniform but I have found issues with all tires at various times and this seems to be a little insurance to get a smoother ride and better wear. I have found that helps in some matters and in my opinion it is definitely better than just a normal tire balance. I do have the air suspension on my 2016 1500 diesel and soon 2020 but have not had an issue with the alignment and hopefully that will continue. I have had good luck with Goodyear LT wranglers with Kevlar. I usually can get around the 60-70 thousand mark - mostly highway miles and for me that usually means replacing them every two years. Not cheap but I like the snow and ice capability of the tire as well as the load rating. I have yet to move to 20 inch or larger tires as I am still old school and like the 18"s, 17s on my 2016 for the better sidewall, towing, tire options and rims. Though with all the 20s and larger tires now offered - price and durability as well as options may be changing.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Factory tires are crapola 9 times out of 10. The dealership will tell you that OEM tires are not warrantied by them and take it up with the tire manufacturer. I didn't think Ram could do worse than the Wrangler SRAs on my last gen but I was proven wrong by these Bridgestone Dueler H/T's (the warranty is listed as ZERO miles on the Bridgestone website)

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Factory tires are crapola 9 times out of 10. The dealership will tell you that OEM tires are not warrantied by them and take it up with the tire manufacturer. I didn't think Ram could do worse than the Wrangler SRAs on my last gen but I was proven wrong by these Bridgestone Dueler H/T's (the warranty is listed as ZERO miles on the Bridgestone website)
Wow lol. I think it's different if you purchase new Bridgestone tires directly...then they have a mileage warranty, hell...even Vercelli's have a decent warranty nowadays. So far my wrangler all seasons haven't had any issues though (OEM tires).

Scram1500

Reaction score
Wow lol. I think it's different if you purchase new Bridgestone tires directly...then they have a mileage warranty, hell...even Vercelli's have a decent warranty nowadays. So far my wrangler all seasons haven't had any issues though (OEM tires).
In retrospect the Wranglers were decent, pretty bad in the snow after 20K though. Check out the link for the Bridgestones, 16", 17" and 18" rim sizes have a zero mileage warranty for the H/T 685

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In retrospect the Wranglers were decent, pretty bad in the snow after 20K though. Check out the link for the Bridgestones, 16", 17" and 18" rim sizes have a zero mileage warranty for the H/T 685

Must be their base model tires...smh. I think most All Season tires become useless in snow after about 20/25k miles though

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Must be their base model tires...smh. I think most All Season tires become useless in snow after about 20/25k miles though
This is good to know. I've been pleasantly surprised with mine through 15K miles, but have been eyeing the Contiental Terrain Contact AT tires as replacements. Looks like that might be sooner rather than later, probably make it another year is all

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Yes air suspension is used on luxury vehicles. And no the Lincoln and Ford is not the same as four corner suspension. My statements may be slightly biased because I’ve seen a lot of issues working in the shops and seeing the problems. I lived in Louisiana in 2014 and 15 at a BMW dealer. They also had a Mercedes franchise and had an employee shortage. I worked as a service advisor on the Mercedes side for almost 2 months and I sold an awful lot of airbags During that time during that time on SL’s S class GL’s and CLS. Each vehicle came in on a hook and repair for one corner was roughly $1500.

When I worked for ram one of the dealership employees bought a brand new rebel for his wife and they did end up doing a lemon law on it because the air suspension would sag and nobody could figure it out even after an FCA field rep came out to look at the vehicle.

It’s luck of the draw… That’s vehicles in general. They are mechanical devices. Some people have nothing but trouble, some people never have a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread