5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Limited Extremely Disappointed Cannot Drive Code Overload!

timmbos

Reaction score
Hate that this my first post! Been a lurking member here waiting for my Limited to arrive. I have this EXACT same problem with only 166 miles!! I don't see it in your pics but I also have a red flashing lightning bolt in the dash as well. Same symptoms as you. Waiting on a Ram Assistance tow truck right now. Not happy at all.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unpopular opinion time:

Keep a cheap code reader in the truck (I do, it's for looking at used vehicles specifically, but also handy for this too)

Anytime the check engine light comes on, there is a code there. Read and record the codes so that when the truck is re-started, they don't disappear on you.
This way you can call the dealer and say: "I have a repeating P0XXX code that pops up randomly"

I know, I know, you "shouldn't have to do this with a $XX,XXXX truck", I get it, and I firmly believe it as well. However, in order to help yourself and the dealer, being proactive when the check engine light comes on could save a lot of aggravation.

All the other warning lights are useless as far as I'm concerned (except ABS, but I don't keep a code reader for that on me), because they just indicate a problem, they don't produce codes that are easily accessible, and most are just related to voltage signal issues anyway.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Unpopular opinion time:

Keep a cheap code reader in the truck (I do, it's for looking at used vehicles specifically, but also handy for this too)

Anytime the check engine light comes on, there is a code there. Read and record the codes so that when the truck is re-started, they don't disappear on you.
This way you can call the dealer and say: "I have a repeating P0XXX code that pops up randomly"

I know, I know, you "shouldn't have to do this with a $XX,XXXX truck", I get it, and I firmly believe it as well. However, in order to help yourself and the dealer, being proactive when the check engine light comes on could save a lot of aggravation.

All the other warning lights are useless as far as I'm concerned (except ABS, but I don't keep a code reader for that on me), because they just indicate a problem, they don't produce codes that are easily accessible, and most are just related to voltage signal issues anyway.
Great advice.

timmbos

Reaction score
What ever happened...did you get Ram Care to help?

I called Ram Roadside assistance. It was towed to my dealer. I received a call this afternoon saying that the tech ran tests and determined it was the PCM. They have it on order and it should be here hopefully tomorrow. They were kind enough to put me in a loaner vehicle so I'm thankful for that.

Unpopular opinion time:

Keep a cheap code reader in the truck .

Agree. I'm a mechanic myself and that was the first thing I did when things went crazy. It had about 12 codes. Ranging from oil temp sender, cam sensor, throttle body, stability control etc-etc. I tried clearing the codes and they came back instantaneously. The truck was undriveable for sure.

I'll post the outcome hopefully soon.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agree. I'm a mechanic myself and that was the first thing I did when things went crazy. It had about 12 codes. Ranging from oil temp sender, cam sensor, throttle body, stability control etc-etc. I tried clearing the codes and they came back instantaneously. The truck was undriveable for sure.

I'll post the outcome hopefully soon.

Excellent, the jumble of random sensor codes would also indicate to the service dept that there is an electrical malfunction somewhere. Info makes all the difference, the more you can give to someone (especially with intermittent problems) the better.

Hope they straighten that thing out for ya quickly!

timmbos

Reaction score
Well my truck was fixed after hours of diagnosis per the technician. Basically what happened is that a wire harness was not properly secured on the assembly line which led to that harness rubbing up against the mounting bracket of the PCM. This in turn wore through the insulation of one of the the wires which carried the 5v reference signal to many sensors. The wire shorted the circuit when the metal bracket of the PCM wore through the insulation of the wire ultimately damaging the PCM by shorting it out. The wire was repaired and a new PCM was installed. All is good now. Hopefully this helps someone who might run into this same issue. Like the original poster, I doubt I'm the only one.

Attachments

• warrantyrepair.jpg
    warrantyrepair.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 36

Gtbrown

Reaction score
Well my truck was fixed after hours of diagnosis per the technician. Basically what happened is that a wire harness was not properly secured on the assembly line which led to that harness rubbing up against the mounting bracket of the PCM. This in turn wore through the insulation of one of the the wires which carried the 5v reference signal to many sensors. The wire shorted the circuit when the metal bracket of the PCM wore through the insulation of the wire ultimately damaging the PCM by shorting it out. The wire was repaired and a new PCM was installed. All is good now. Hopefully this helps someone who might run into this same issue. Like the original poster, I doubt I'm the only one.

The work done at this dealership is impressive! To perform the work and then to clearly document should earn this tech, service shop and dealership a kudos from FCA.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Beyond pissed! I've been a faithful Ram man for years & wouldn't even think of owning anything else but this new truck is whacked. When I go to start it in the morning, the cluster panel goes off like a Christmas tree! All the sensor warnings light up, steering stiffens as if no assist, transmission doesn's shift beyond 2nd, the engine fans winds up and sounds like an F-16, everything becomes disabled and it's in major limp mode! This occured at 165 miles, 289 miles, 442 miles & again today at 1240 miles! Took it to the dealer twice and they, "...cannot replicate the condition and nothing shows up on scan..". When the truck starts normally, it's the best driving machine I've ever experienced but I'm running low on steam over this BS. Any other similar stories and or advice, short of filing a lemon claim? This is an E-Torque as well. I took pics of the action...

I had a somewhat similar problem check out my post (https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/abs-4wd-traction-control-and-fcw-failure.6834/). It was a sensor which was causing a christmas tree affect on my dash. You seem to have other errors coming on as well so this might not resolve all your problems but it is a start.

My Dealer replaced the front wheel speed sensor which resolved my issue.

Rammer

Reaction score
Sorry it's been a while but wanted to provide an update to this thread. My vehicle was repurchased by FCA after spending weeks in the shop. The mechanic went through everything he could, (I presume) and walked through the problem with an engineer at FCA. FCA requested a flight recorder be installed, (which the dealer did) and I had to push a button every time the dash lit up with codes so they could analyze further. Bottom line is that I never found out what the "specific" problem was and they certainly didn't offer to volunteer that information either. Here is my take away from this whole experience: I believe this new model was challenging to diagnose for the mechanics as I purchased this right away upon release and they were figuring it out themselves. This model is electronics intensive, perhaps the most yet IMO and requires a new educational level to attain just like everything else for proper diagnosis. I say this because the mechanics were literally stumped. This vehicle also had a massive recall, (https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27818753/2019-ram-1500-pickup-recall-airbags/) due to memory clearing occurring too early causing airbags to not deploy as well as a slew of fault codes. Perhaps this was it, I'll never know. FCA was cool to deal with, I own 6 Ram's and Ram is the only thing in my blood but I will NEVER EVER again buy the 1st release of anything. FCA did repurchase it however I lost money still when adding up tow truck costs, car rentals and other BS. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Sorry it's been a while but wanted to provide an update to this thread. My vehicle was repurchased by FCA after spending weeks in the shop. The mechanic went through everything he could, (I presume) and walked through the problem with an engineer at FCA. FCA requested a flight recorder be installed, (which the dealer did) and I had to push a button every time the dash lit up with codes so they could analyze further. Bottom line is that I never found out what the "specific" problem was and they certainly didn't offer to volunteer that information either. Here is my take away from this whole experience: I believe this new model was challenging to diagnose for the mechanics as I purchased this right away upon release and they were figuring it out themselves. This model is electronics intensive, perhaps the most yet IMO and requires a new educational level to attain just like everything else for proper diagnosis. I say this because the mechanics were literally stumped. This vehicle also had a massive recall, (https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27818753/2019-ram-1500-pickup-recall-airbags/) due to memory clearing occurring too early causing airbags to not deploy as well as a slew of fault codes. Perhaps this was it, I'll never know. FCA was cool to deal with, I own 6 Ram's and Ram is the only thing in my blood but I will NEVER EVER again buy the 1st release of anything. FCA did repurchase it however I lost money still when adding up tow truck costs, car rentals and other BS. Hope this helps. Good luck!
That stinks. Sorry to hear.

Dirtfreak

Reaction score
Are you considering getting a 2020 Ram after all the headaches you went through?

George Bednar

Reaction score
UPDATE: Dropped it off with dealer on 12/3, picked up on 12/4. The tech informed me that they, "...see the codes in the computer...but couldn't replicate them...". The dealer went through all the connections, checked for any loose grounds etc. The dealer said they "reset / cleared the codes" and INSISTED that there is "nothing more they could do". I said are you sure, I'm about to drive out of here and my family will be in the truck and God forbid something happens as a result of you not exhausting all options. He said nothing more could be done.
THEN...last week, it did it again for about 35 minutes but hasn't done it since. Best way to describe it is that it's a very sad type of feeling to look at my $70K truck with these issues. Beautiful truck and apparently one that nobody in my town understands. The technology surpasses the technician here I guess and or maybe I'm just special. Anyway, @RamCares reached out same day as last post and was very sincere and to the point. I'll advise as to where this goes. Merry Christmas everyone!
I had a very similar issues several month ago. Turned out to be a speed sensor and ABS module. Both were changed and knock on wood the issue has not returned. Hope this helps.

cotonymopar

Reaction score
I wonder if Chrysler still allows the code cheat, access on, off on off on (not started) then the older models would cycle through the dash test, and display any codes... I will have try it on the push button start

otherwise, auto zone, or any parts store has a ready they will let you know the codes

Users who are viewing this thread