5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Folding Tonneau Cover: OEM vs BakFlip vs Gator

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Read the entire thread 1st. I noticed 1 post about the revolver. Wondering if any others here tried or have the Revolver X2; X4 or even the Gator HR1 roll up? Not talking about the soft gator Roll-Up either just the H1. What’s your opinion/thoughts? Any pics would be great also.

RebelRam2019

Reaction score
Hi all, I installed the Bakflip MX4 448227RB on my 2019 Rebel 5'7" Rambox Cargo bed today. So, actually I started two days ago and the the right rail went in just fine, but the left rail, driver's side, was stuck from the getgo. Had to destroy it to get it back out. Bakflip sent me retrofitted rails and they worked like a champ, no issues. The rest of the install was uneventful untilthe very last part. When I looked over the instal I noticed on both rear corners there is a huge gap between the tailgate and the bed and between the Rambox and the top at the corner on both sides. In no way will this be weather tight, or even weather resistant in the slightest or loosest interpretation of the word. If anyone else has installed the MX4 448227RB on the 2019 Ram Rebel with Rambox Cargo and has found a fix for this or has had a different experience, please advise. I am still waiting to hear back from Bakflip.

Note: I am trying a fix until I hear back from Bakflip or from someone on this forum. I'm adding the photos below. Anyway, I added a double stacked strip on each side that I think will take care of the gap and keep weather out, waiting for the rain to find out. I still would appreciate any suggestions or information from others with the Rambox and MX4 installed. Thanks in advance of your help.

Attachments

• 20190215_121721rev.jpg
    20190215_121721rev.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 226
  • 20190215_154140.jpg
    20190215_154140.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 238
  • 20190215_154147.jpg
    20190215_154147.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 233
  • 20190215_154228.jpg
    20190215_154228.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 234
  • 20190215_154310.jpg
    20190215_154310.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 219
  • 20190216_090522.jpg
    20190216_090522.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 202
  • 20190216_090515.jpg
    20190216_090515.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 198
  • 20190216_090500.jpg
    20190216_090500.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 188
  • 20190216_090449.jpg
    20190216_090449.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 178
  • 20190216_090540.jpg
    20190216_090540.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Hi all, I installed the Bakflip MX4 448227RB on my 2019 Rebel 5'7" Rambox Cargo bed today. So, actually I started two days ago and the the right rail went in just fine, but the left rail, driver's side, was stuck from the getgo. Had to destroy it to get it back out. Bakflip sent me retrofitted rails and they worked like a champ, no issues. The rest of the install was uneventful untilthe very last part. When I looked over the instal I noticed on both rear corners there is a huge gap between the tailgate and the bed and between the Rambox and the top at the corner on both sides. In no way will this be weather tight, or even weather resistant in the slightest or loosest interpretation of the word. If anyone else has installed the MX4 448227RB on the 2019 Ram Rebel with Rambox Cargo and has found a fix for this or has had a different experience, please advise. I am still waiting to hear back from Bakflip.

Note: I am trying a fix until I hear back from Bakflip or from someone on this forum. I'm adding the photos below. Anyway, I added a double stacked strip on each side that I think will take care of the gap and keep weather out, waiting for the rain to find out. I still would appreciate any suggestions or information from others with the Rambox and MX4 installed. Thanks in advance of your help.

How’s your temp fix working for you? Any word back from bakflip?

RebelRam2019

Reaction score
How’s your temp fix working for you? Any word back from bakflip?
Well, it's working fairly well, still need to do a couple things when the weather improves and corresponds with a day off, lol. Anyway, I've got everything worked out for the most part except a couple minor problem areas. I'll need to have my wife lock inside the bed on a sunny day and I should be able to track down any obvious leak areas and mark them with tape and then either seal them with weather stripping or RTV sealant. Now, as for Bakflip, I am pretty disgusted with them. After a couple days of waiting to hear from them the final response was that it's not their fault that the Ram Box design on the 2019 is such that there are gaps and as far as the leaks along the rails or at the front of the bed are concerned, well thats just how covers are. They absolutely offered zero assistance and accepted no responsibility for manufacturing a product, and then distributing to buyers while knowing all along there would be significant leak issues. When there are 1/2" to 3/4" gaps on both side of the top at the tailgate you have to know this before you release the product. My simple solution reduced the problem 90-95% with about 15 minutes of work and 10 minutes of thought. When I get it right maybe a little more time and thought.

So here is my thought for anyone looking at the product MX4 PN 448227RB:

PROS:
1. It is a well built product and should last far longer than the 3 year warranty
2. Looks fantastic on my truck, sleek, matte black, slimline
3. Nice accessory to have to secure items in the bed of my truck, nice huge trunk
4. Open and close tailgate with top up or down
5. 3 Year warranty
6. Easy Installation

CONS:

1. Original rails shipped with product did not fit and had to wait for retrofitted rails to be shipped, had them in 2 days and they did fit and installed easily.
2. Lots of aluminum shavings in packaging, no attention to detail
3. Scratch on product when it came out of box, minor, and they sent me touch up pain which fixed it fine, but still a pain for an expensive product.
4. Aforementioned leak issues
5. Lack of concern by Bakflip for their design flaw and release of the flawed designed product
6. The fact that they know there is an issue with the current rails and compatibility with the 2019 Rams with Ram Box and they shipped me a product manufactured on 1/13/2019 the first part of February 2019 with the wrong rails. They should have either held all shipments or changed the rails out. I should have never known there was an issue. Again, no attention to detail and a lack of concern for customer satisfaction.

So, I like the product, I'll be happy with it, and even right now it is leaking enough to hurt anything I might keep back there. These tops are in fact not meant to be 100% water tight, but they aren't suppose to act as a conduit to fill a swimming pool either. When they reviewed my photos they confirmed my installation was done correctly and it was not an issue. Would I buy their product again in the future? Not without more research, however, I thought I had done that this time.

I hope all this helps everyone. I will post all my final pictures hopefully this weekend or sooner, weather permitting.

Jakobb11

Reaction score
It's been a while since this post. Has anyone tried the BAKBox 2 with the OEM/Mopar version of the cover? If they are compatible I'd like to get one for under my OEM cover.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I’d also like to know if anyone could verify if the BAKBox 2 works with the mopar hard cover. That little toolbox would be super convenient!

Rhhays

Reaction score
I went to a Line-X dealer and loved the hard tonneau Cover. My only concern is that it was pricey ($950). Were you able to deal with them on your cover? Also, is it good at keeping out the water? Did it come with a tailgate seal?
Did you end up going with the Line-X tonneau? If so, did they make a deal on it?

fotomatt1

Reaction score
I’m trying to figure out if the Mopar hard folding tonneau will work with the Mopar Bed Divider. I have the divider and the factory soft trifold and the latches on the tonneau don’t clear the rails on the divider. The hard folding tonneau has completely different latches that I know clear, but just want to make sure there’s no other installation issues with the bed divider in place. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

famecity

Reaction score
I’m trying to figure out if the Mopar hard folding tonneau will work with the Mopar Bed Divider. I have the divider and the factory soft trifold and the latches on the tonneau don’t clear the rails on the divider. The hard folding tonneau has completely different latches that I know clear, but just want to make sure there’s no other installation issues with the bed divider in place. Thoughts?

Mopar cover works with the mopar divider. Super easy install if you have BUG.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Mopar cover works with the mopar divider. Super easy install if you have BUG.

How is the bed cover install easier with the BUG? Also, might be important to note that I do not have Ramboxes. Here’s a pic of the issue I have with the soft folding tonneau latches and the bed divider.

Attachments

• IMG_2166.jpg
    IMG_2166.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 166

gibbynd

Reaction score
How is the bed cover install easier with the BUG? Also, might be important to note that I do not have Ramboxes. Here’s a pic of the issue I have with the soft folding tonneau latches and the bed divider.

I have the same issue. Let me know what you find out or go with.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
I have the same issue. Let me know what you find out or go with.

Do you have both the soft folding tonneau and bed divider? FCA is saying the dealer should not have sold me both. My truck had the soft trifold from the factory and the bed divider is kind of a requirement for my needs.

gibbynd

Reaction score
Do you have both the soft folding tonneau and bed divider? FCA is saying the dealer should not have sold me both. My truck had the soft trifold from the factory and the bed divider is kind of a requirement for my needs.

I got the soft fold first. Wanted the divider so i installed the rails and utility group. I also have put zip ties with some straps in the rear down a tie down point to keep that tonneau tighter near the tailgate. You have to lift up before getting those clips out. major design flaw.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
I got the soft fold first. Wanted the divider so i installed the rails and utility group. I also have put zip ties with some straps in the rear down a tie down point to keep that tonneau tighter near the tailgate. You have to lift up before getting those clips out. major design flaw.
My truck already had the utility group from the factory. I bought the divider since there's no documentation that says it won't work with the soft trifold (or most tonneau covers) for that matter. From what I can tell, the hard folding tonneau, which is made by BakFlip (Truck Hero) probably won't work either. The woman in OEM support at Truck Hero told me it's the same as a G2 but with an additional tailgate seal. I know the Lomax will work. I have been pushing FCA to refund me for the soft trifold since I need the divider and have to replace the tonneau. I suppose the Bed Extender would accomplish something similar and will work with a tonneau cover, but I like the flexibility of the divider.

gibbynd

Reaction score
My truck already had the utility group from the factory. I bought the divider since there's no documentation that says it won't work with the soft trifold (or most tonneau covers) for that matter. From what I can tell, the hard folding tonneau, which is made by BakFlip (Truck Hero) probably won't work either. The woman in OEM support at Truck Hero told me it's the same as a G2 but with an additional tailgate seal. I know the Lomax will work. I have been pushing FCA to refund me for the soft trifold since I need the divider and have to replace the tonneau. I suppose the Bed Extender would accomplish something similar and will work with a tonneau cover, but I like the flexibility of the divider.
If you get FCA to reimburse you, give me the contact of who did and i will likely do the same.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
You have to call FCA customer care and start a case. They'll make you take your truck to the dealer to verify the concern, and then they're going to "investigate" why a dealer sold you the bed divider knowing you had the tonneau and try to blame it on the dealer. I'm still going around in circles with them but hopefully wearing them down. They keep going back and asking management what they can do.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have the OEM tri fold and the divider and yes it is a pain to unlatch the clamps but it is usable. I really like the divider so I deal with the awkwardness of the latches.

SleepyWeasel

Reaction score
Some more Info...
Not much info on the Ram site for the OEM cover, but did a search on the part number 82215227AB and found an installation guide that had a support phone number (833-204-2606)and a truck-hero.com email address ([email protected]). I called the support line and the woman I talked to said she was pretty sure it's the BAKFlip G2 with Mopar/Ram badging. One difference is that the OEM version has a 3yr warranty compared to BAK's 2yr. The other thing I noticed is that the BAK website says "Tailgate: Close w/ Cover Up only"
for the G2. The install guide for the OEM says "The tailgate can be closed with the tail panel opened or closed." Also, if you get the OEM and have issues, you can take it to any DCJR dealership.
I also asked her if the BAKBox 2 would work with the OEM when they start making it to fit the 2019 Ram 1500. She couldn't say for sure, in the past the BAKBox was compatible with the OEM products they make.
Edwards, I've been thinking about the MX4 as well... and I'm still looking, but I've found the OEM cover online at moparfactoryparts.com for $757.78 (total which includes shipping to Cypress, TX).
I just tried ordering the factory hard tri-fold cover from moparfactoryparts.com. After filling out the order form and delaying for a couple days, they sent me two emails offering 20% off shipping costs if I come back and complete my order. So today I went back and actually place my order. A couple hours later I get an email from them asking if I am coming to their store to pick it up because the item is too big to ship. Needless to say, I am a bit irked with them. Do not waster your time and effort to order it through that website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online