5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 dependability rankings, Fiat struggles being LAST out of 31 groups

George

Reaction score
Man, how the hell do I throw $60 thousand at a product that comes in dead last, news from this morning. I want to think that all of the companies have their their problems, BUT DEAD LAST out of 31??? It has me second guessing and thinking that I will be kicking myself for the next few years if I decide to go with RAM. For those that have already made that choice I understand you will be defensive but DEAD LAST??? I am a week or two away from making a decision, I have my RAM picked out with my option list and color. Doing all of the investigating for three months knowing that RAM is picked on for not being reliable, trying to give them a pass and think that things may be changing. I just don't know......

index.html

Last edited:

GoMango16

Reaction score
If it bothers you hat much get another brand and move on. I have the new Ram, Scat-Pack Challenger and a R/T Max Charger and all are better than anything I have seen on the market. Any one can dissect any product if the want...JB.

Last edited:

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Did the Fiat brand get last, or the Ram brand? They are different, you know. Last one i saw Ram brand outperformed Ford.

But if you want to put all your trust in a 90 day initial quality or a 3 year dependability survey of a few hundred customers out of hundreds of thousands of vehicles on the road...be my guest. And remember, its a the 3 yr dependability survey, so the ratings are of 2015 or 2016 model year vehicles....

Ram also has the most trucks still on the road since 1989, and the highest customer loyalty in the segment

George

Reaction score
If it bothers you hat much get another brand and move on. I have the new Ram, Scat-Pack Challenger and a R/T Max Charger and all are above better than anything I have seen on the market. Any one can direct any product if the want...JB.

Thats good, I would not wish anything bad for you or anyone else. I know I can "move on", I don't need anyone to enlighten me about that. I am upset because I am putting my blind faith in a product that has a history and today I see that their history and reputation is gettng worst, not better. My post is not trying to **** off everyone here as I know there will be owners like you. I have driven the RAM and picked it to be the one that I wanted and I read this today. I wish you well.

George

Reaction score
Did the Fiat brand get last, or the Ram brand? They are different, you know. Last one i saw Ram brand outperformed Ford.

But if you want to put all your trust in a 90 day initial quality or a 3 year dependability survey of a few hundred customers out of hundreds of thousands of vehicles on the road...be my guest. And remember, its a the 3 yr dependability survey, so the ratings are of 2015 or 2016 model year vehicles....

Ram also has the most trucks still on the road since 1989, and the highest customer loyalty in the segment

I see that is was FIAT, I did not see where they broke it down to each product, but I believe the RAM is too new to be including, I would think.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
I see that is was FIAT, I did not see where they broke it down to each product, but I believe the RAM is too new to be including, I would think.

If you're talking JD Power, Ram is included. The 2018 dependability rankings would be for 2015 model year Ram trucks. I don't put a huge amount of stock in those rankings. If you look at 2016 rankings (2013 model year) Ram was very highly ranked. The next year (2017 rankings, 2014 model year) Ram dropped. There is not a significant difference b/w 2013 and 2014 model year Rams. 2013 was the 4th gen refresh year

I have a 2015 Ram with 100k miles, and wouldn't trade it for anything ranked higher on the list.

You are correct that the 5th gen Ram would not be a part of these dependability rankings yet. It wont show up till 2021-2022.

Reactions: BTK

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Thats good, I would not wish anything bad for you or anyone else. I know I can "move on", I don't need anyone to enlighten me about that. I am upset because I am putting my blind faith in a product that has a history and today I see that their history and reputation is gettng worst, not better. My post is not trying to **** off everyone here as I know there will be owners like you. I have driven the RAM and picked it to be the one that I wanted and I read this today. I wish you well.

I wouldn't agree their reputation is getting worse. Its the 1st year of a brand new design, there will likely be minor growing pains, as any manufacturer experiences. This also isn't Ram's first try at building a truck...the brand is relatively new but dodge has a long history in this department.

Welcome to the forums, and don't worry about upsetting folks. This is were you're supposed to go to air your issues or concerns

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
All brands have their issues. That’s what you get when you’re constantly under pressure to deliver new products to compete, at competitive prices. Production lines, with quality control issues. Outsourcing components. Being innovative. Etc etc. For me it comes down to how a brand handles issues when they come up, which they will.

Here’s ford issuing a recall on over 1.5 million pickups from 2011-2013. I guess the good news is they issued a recall. The bad news is that if you owned those trucks new, you have potentially been dealing with those isssues a looong time (or dumped it). Ram on the other hand has already issued a recall on their power steering issue and they are still in the 2019 model year. So it’s a balancing act.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta...recalling-about-1-5-million-f-150-pickup.html

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not to be rude or obstinate but your putting blind faith in to any new vehicle you buy since the new model year vehicles are not evaluated at all in the area your critical of. The other thing that comes to mind is actual vehicle accidents will not be the same as in the ones evaluated . It just depends on so many variables. Accidents do not happen in controlled environments like testing.Vehicle dependability has many variables as well with no track records on new vehicle model years since no two new model years are the same nor are the driver/owners of such.

Its a Huge crap shoot no matter what the brand! For one example you can ponder,I saw a news clip picture yesterday on I70 in Ohio where a Chevy Cruze was pinned in between a tractor trailer and the concrete divider wall. The driver was uninsured in a vehicle that is "rated" as having fatalities in minor fender bender accidents!Just IMO.

George

Reaction score
I wouldn't agree their reputation is getting worse. Its the 1st year of a brand new design, there will likely be minor growing pains, as any manufacturer experiences. This also isn't Ram's first try at building a truck...the brand is relatively new but dodge has a long history in this department.

Welcome to the forums, and don't worry about upsetting folks. This is were you're supposed to go to air your issues or concerns

Thanks for the welcome. This would be my first RAM, Chrysler, Dodge, Daimler, Fiat product as I do not have hands on feedback so I go to forums and established professional groups for help and guidance. First year product and you know there will be some glitches no matter who makes it. BUT what I struggle with is you do not wind up in last place by accident, you get there because that is who you are, the corners you cut, the parts you buy to make your product, willingness to sacrifice your name and reputation for profit, you are who you are, no reasonable person could deny that. I am not so naive to think that Ford and GM are above this at all. I don't have the luxury of having loads of money to make mistakes gambling in the face of reality. I could also go buy a Tundra and it could live in the shop as well. I started this post because I am at war with myself, one of me is like a chimpanzee wanting all the glitter and shiny stuff that RAM has come out with, the other me is doing its best to convince me that facts matter, history matters, reputation matters, common sense matters. I am upset because I still want the RAM, the chimp is still in charge.

CCryder500

Reaction score
This is my first FCA product ever. Odometer Just rolled 10,000 miles and not 1 issue so far. Had many issues with Ford, including a transmission failure at 34k. I couldn't be happier with my decision.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. This would be my first RAM, Chrysler, Dodge, Daimler, Fiat product as I do not have hands on feedback so I go to forums and established professional groups for help and guidance. First year product and you know there will be some glitches no matter who makes it. BUT what I struggle with is you do not wind up in last place by accident, you get there because that is who you are, the corners you cut, the parts you buy to make your product, willingness to sacrifice your name and reputation for profit, you are who you are, no reasonable person could deny that. I am not so naive to think that Ford and GM are above this at all. I don't have the luxury of having loads of money to make mistakes gambling in the face of reality. I could also go buy a Tundra and it could live in the shop as well. I started this post because I am at war with myself, one of me is like a chimpanzee wanting all the glitter and shiny stuff that RAM has come out with, the other me is doing its best to convince me that facts matter, history matters, reputation matters, common sense matters. I am upset because I still want the RAM, the chimp is still in charge.

Honestly, they're all about the same. I wouldn't be so naive to think that manufacturers "buy out" the results as well. I still see FIAT running around with the rest of them and even though they're more a minority here in the states, I have rarely heard of that many complaints.

If the data doesn't give you much information, then the information doesn't have much data to classify the product.

Do more review work of the tests that were done, find out what exactly gets them in "last". Perhaps one model year of one specific vehicle was faulty to the point they stacked last, but EVERYTHING else was fine? You never know until you delve deeper.

You can still use your good judgement and senses. I didn't want to buy a new RAM fresh off the lot with an early build date, so mine was built January 23rd of this year. It (so far) has 0 issues what so ever and now hitting 500 miles which is nothing for the long term, but I can tell you from test driving older ones vs's the one I have the fit finish feels better. The doors seem to close better for example with less rattle. It's only getting better.

I'm on this forum because I know that more people will complain than praise the vehicle, or for those that want to modify their vehicles with suggestions on how to do XYZ. That said, I reviewed a lot of content, specifically problems to see what was common and at best, everything was minor that wasn't going to be fixed quick by a dealer. Sure, you do have the common odd-balls. But I promise you, those are still present regardless of the vehicle you purchase.

I came here to educate myself and others about about financing on what is/isn't a good deal and so on. Just do your research

I wouldn't put all my apples in a bag just based off of metrics rating 31 groups with no data, just saying

My 0.02c

Rustydodge

Reaction score

For whatever reason. JD doenst have the full 2019 dependability report details on their site. However, look at which brands topped the list this year for 2016 model year. Full size = tundra and Midsized = Frontier. Those are the oldest, most out of date, and simplest offerings on the market in those segments. So it makes sense they are more "dependable" in a study because they have far fewer features to go wrong Look at the Chevy - plain jane hard plastic interior...

Ram having the nicest interior and features will come at the expense of some additionally reported issues. But its also a huge part of the reason why people are choosing Ram and its the fastest growing fullsize truck brand.

If you are concerned about dependability, the hemi engine is proven, the ZF 8 speed is proven, the 8.4" uconnect infotainment is proven, coil spring suspension is proven - those are all the key components of the truck that i'd be concerned about. I'd list the 12" screen, panoramic roof, and etorque system as examples of new features yet unproven (since they are new to Ram fullsize).

George

Reaction score
For whatever reason. JD doenst have the full 2019 dependability report details on their site. However, look at which brands topped the list this year for 2016 model year. Full size = tundra and Midsized = Frontier. Those are the oldest, most out of date, and simplest offerings on the market in those segments. So it makes sense they are more "dependable" in a study because they have far fewer features to go wrong Look at the Chevy - plain jane hard plastic interior...

Ram having the nicest interior and features will come at the expense of some additionally reported issues. But its also a huge part of the reason why people are choosing Ram and its the fastest growing fullsize truck brand.

If you are concerned about dependability, the hemi engine is proven, the ZF 8 speed is proven, the 8.4" uconnect infotainment is proven, coil spring suspension is proven - those are all the key components of the truck that i'd be concerned about. I'd list the 12" screen, panoramic roof, and etorque system as examples of new features yet unproven (since they are new to Ram fullsize).

I agree with what you say, my build list changes daily with 12" screen, panoramic roof, and etorque taken off and put back on the list. The water leaks worry me, the etorque reliability (battery, belt), is there really a pay off, the big screen issues. I go to the dealers on Sundays and still see the drain plugs out of position, that should't be.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Like they say: “there are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics”

I wouldn’t put too much faith in these studies. Not to say they are worthless but take them with a grain of salt to some degree. The degrees separating all these brands are marginal and depending on the year can completely be reordered. It’s akin to a US News ranking on Top Colleges. Anyone that thinks Chevy, Ford, Chrysler, etc are separated that much in quality is kidding themselves. It’s about who has the styling and features and recent upgrades (electronics, engine, trans) you want when you’re in the market. Everything else is a bit of faith and luck. That said, new model years or features, such as eTorque, inject a bit more uncertainty in the beginning. Some people don’t mind being a “beta tester” in exchange for being on the bleeding edge, others would rather have something more established.

George

Reaction score
The list separates Fiat and Chrysler, Lexus and Toyota, etc. The link does not include Ram (or Dodge, for that matter).

You are correct, I see that as well. So look at the ratings of Lexus and Toyota, it is the same mother, the same mission statement. Fiat is the mother, the decision maker on how all things get built across the board. If Fiat was #1 on the list then RAM would also be in the hero group don't you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online