5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Bed Light Kit Install Question

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The way the factory lights work is not a dedicated, simple 12V switch inline. The switch tells the computer to turn on the lights, just like the interior switch does. Both are momentary switches. That way, the computer turns off the light at a designated time and you can turn on from one switch and off at the other.
That's why the dealer has to flash so the computer knows it now has those lights.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The way the factory lights work is not a dedicated, simple 12V switch inline. The switch tells the computer to turn on the lights, just like the interior switch does. Both are momentary switches. That way, the computer turns off the light at a designated time and you can turn on from one switch and off at the other.
That's why the dealer has to flash so the computer knows it now has those lights.

It just seems odd to me that the lights have switches built into them. Kind of redundant to have two switched sources.

vondarius20

Reaction score
I have noticed that the cargo lights are also triggered by the tailgate release button, how can we take advantage of this switching system? I'd like to wire my aftermarket bed lights into this circuit?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It just seems odd to me that the lights have switches built into them. Kind of redundant to have two switched sources.

Kind of handy is how I'd describe it.

Everything is run by the computer anymore. Makes everything better when it's working and a PITA when it's not - or the firmware is causing bugs.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Kind of handy is how I'd describe it.

Everything is run by the computer anymore. Makes everything better when it's working and a PITA when it's not - or the firmware is causing bugs.

I won’t deny that but why isn’t everything else double switched, right? We’ll see when the first one is installed I guess.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I won’t deny that but why isn’t everything else double switched, right? We’ll see when the first one is installed I guess.

The only other thing I can think of that is "double switched" is the tailgate release (key fob) so you can drop it via the fob when away from trunk, at the tailgate, or from the cab. All convenience.
Same for the bed lighting. Let's me turn on/off from the bed or in the cab or other automatic situations.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only other thing I can think of that is "double switched" is the tailgate release (key fob) so you can drop it via the fob when away from trunk, at the tailgate, or from the cab. All convenience.
Same for the bed lighting. Let's me turn on/off from the bed or in the cab or other automatic situations.

Well someone get it installed damnit! Lol. I’ll be doing it regardless but just want to know what I’ll need to schedule. Dealer visits (knock on wood) are twice a year for me so I’ll have to schedule around some planned maintenance.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well my box as well as it’s 10 page instruction book just arrived. I did a quick glance and it shows having the vehicle up on a lift to run the lines. At this point I’d rather pay my dealer his coin and let them mess with it.

Syman02

Reaction score
I plan to have mine done at the same time I do my lift and wheels and tires. Since the truck will already be up on the lift I figured it would save some install time.

jrmitt808

Reaction score
has anyone had this installed yet? I looked at what MOPAR calls and "easy" install and its pages of instructions.

PorBoy

Reaction score
From looking at the instructions it’s not hard to install. What’s a pain is having to go to the dealership to ha e them “ flash “ the code for it. It’s seems they’ve gone out of their way this model year to not making any add ones easy for us . :(

jrmitt808

Reaction score
From looking at the instructions it’s not hard to install. What’s a pain is having to go to the dealership to ha e them “ flash “ the code for it. It’s seems they’ve gone out of their way this model year to not making any add ones easy for us . :(

thats weak, I remember when I had my 2004 Ram everything was pre-wired. looks like I may wait on this, honestly i highly doubt i would use it that much anyway.

PorBoy

Reaction score
It’s like they are trying to take any chance of modding / enhancing out of outr hands including oem gear !!!!

PorBoy

Reaction score
It seems the real punishment is when we frequent our parts department and they tell us the price with a “ straight “ face !!!!!

LaRamie

Reaction score
Yes, what @Agitated said. I started a thread with the install tips for these instructions. You dont need a lift, I did mine in the driveway on a creeper the night we brought the truck home. Hardest part is taking wheel liners in and out but it can all be done without taking wheels off.

Automan21

Reaction score
I have the bed light kit. I am going to use the harness it came with but instead of running the harness up front and having to flash the computer I am going to tap into a hot wire and just use the switch on the light assembly. Anyone see a reason that this wont work?

Users who are viewing this thread