5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 1500 Rear Step Recall (Part # 82215289AB)

trixdesigns

Reaction score
Saw this and I know the TSB thread is currently being worked on, so I wanted to share it now.

STRUCTURE, FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY
Contact with the fuel tank may cause a fuel leak, increasing the risk of a fire.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19E059000
Components: STRUCTURE, FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY

Summary
Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain Mopar Rear Step Kits, part number 82215289AB, designed for model year 2019 Ram 1500 trucks. In the event of a rear impact crash, the rear step kit may cause the rear control arms to contact the fuel tank.

Remedy
Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will replace the bed step, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin October 16, 2019. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is V93.

Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Saw this and I know the TSB thread is currently being worked on, so I wanted to share it now.

STRUCTURE, FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY
Contact with the fuel tank may cause a fuel leak, increasing the risk of a fire.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19E059000
Components: STRUCTURE, FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY

Summary
Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain Mopar Rear Step Kits, part number 82215289AB, designed for model year 2019 Ram 1500 trucks. In the event of a rear impact crash, the rear step kit may cause the rear control arms to contact the fuel tank.

Remedy
Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will replace the bed step, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin October 16, 2019. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is V93.

Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
So I wonder what happens if you ordered this after purchase and installed?

trixdesigns

Reaction score
I’m in the same boat. Purchased mine through Mopar America. Figure I’ll reach out to the dealer once the recall starts and see if I can get mine replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m sure they’ve known about it for months and that’s why they discontinued the AB version. Just another strike against FCA quality control.

Bram2019

Reaction score
So I wonder what happens if you ordered this after purchase and installed?
This is the Mopar accessory part number kit everyone added on after the fact. The trucks that were sold with a step from the factory is a different part number. I don't know how dealers are suppose to track every sale down as a lot of times they are cash transactions with no name on the counter slip. Even a credit card sale does not have the buyers phone number. They may need to notify every 2019 DT owner in the US and Canada to inform them of the issue. What is really strange is the AB version is cast iron and built like a rock where the newer one looks like stamped steel. Probably the stamped steel will fold in an accident where the cast iron won't and something else will bend.

Bram2019

Reaction score
I’m sure they’ve known about it for months and that’s why they discontinued the AB version. Just another strike against FCA quality control.
I don't think this is a quality control issue at all. I suspect no one tested the truck in a rear end crash with the AB version. Probably there was an accident and then the issue appeared. As I stated before, the AB version is cast iron. The newer version appears to be stamped steel. The cast iron model must not give in a crash the way it should.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think this is a quality control issue at all. I suspect no one tested the truck in a rear end crash with the AB version. Probably there was an accident and then the issue appeared. As I stated before, the AB version is cast iron. The newer version appears to be stamped steel. The cast iron model must not give in a crash the way it should.

Yeah what was I thinking, making sure a part withstands a crash test has nothing to do with quality control. And I guess the fact that FCA stopped selling the part 8-9 months ago for an engineering review had nothing to do with quality control either.

Hopefully those of us who purchased the part from an authorized FCA reseller (Mopar America) will be able to exchange the part free of charge.

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
Hopefully those of us who purchased the part from an authorized FCA reseller (Mopar America) will be able to exchange the part free of charge.
Agreed. Subbing because I’ve got this model bedstep from Mopar America too.

Interestingly, a month ago or so a friend of mine bought a Rebel (after I mentioned how much I love my 2019) and I sold him on the bedstep idea. When he took it to the dealership to have one installed, they installed the AMP bedstep for him. I thought it was weird, but they may have been sourcing alternatives while this testing was working through the channels (and maybe a sales freeze in all Mopar steps) at Ram trying to figure if a recall was necessary.

DM-SC

Reaction score
Well poo. I guess we'll see if after sale steps get included.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Well poo. I guess we'll see if after sale steps get included.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

That's all that's included - according to previous posts, it's the parts kit, indicating a post-vehicle-sale installation.

-John

Scjon03

Reaction score
I just purchase the bed step and installed it, part number 82215289AG. Got the step from ebay for 250!

Ranger482

Reaction score
I have the same aftermarket part so following to see what the outcome is. Love the step I have, super strong, which sounds like it may be its downfall.

bravo1

Reaction score
Looking at the distance between the arm assembly and the fuel tank it has to travel very far to punch a hole in the tank.So the fix is a shield to deflect the arm or strengthen the arm assembly, to avoid striking the tank...

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm still having trouble visualizing this since it is bolted to the frame right where the trailer hitch is located. This will have to be some impact to puncture the fuel tank with this one piece, as opposed to all of the other things in the area that could puncture it in that level of crash.

Users who are viewing this thread