5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 1500 Rear Step Recall (Part # 82215289AB)

Lslblues

Reaction score
Just to be clear - this only impacts part number 82215289AB. I installed 82215289AG on mine. Those of us with the AG version are not included in this, right?

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
Looking at the distance between the arm assembly and the fuel tank it has to travel very far to punch a hole in the tank.So the fix is a shield to deflect the arm or strengthen the arm assembly, to avoid striking the tank...
I'm still having trouble visualizing this since it is bolted to the frame right where the trailer hitch is located. This will have to be some impact to puncture the fuel tank with this one piece, as opposed to all of the other things in the area that could puncture it in that level of crash.
According to the Summary in the OP, the issue is that the step assembly can contact the rear control arms, which then can impact the fuel tank. I don’t think there’s much danger of the step itself hitting the tank.. or if it does, you’ve probably got much bigger problems on your hands.. :D

bravo1

Reaction score
So the step arm strikes the rear trailing arm then strikes the tank, in a perfect world we all get free health care too.:alien:

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone have anymore information on this recall or hear anything from Mopar America?

Bram2019

Reaction score
The fix is to go to your local dealer and have the bed step replaced with 82215289AG. They may need to order one for you. Make sure you mention Recall V93. If it is installed on truck, dealer will install it. If it is in the box, they will exchange it. This only applies if you have the Mopar 82215289AB step kit which is cast iron. If yours is stamped steel, you are ok. All the AB units are cast iron. Remember, these are Mopar kits sold by the parts department and installed after the truck was built. This whole thing is too bad because the cast iron unit is probably much stronger that the replacement stamped steel. But in an accident they must have seen the cast iron unit not buckling correctly and a domino affect occurs which ultimately can damage the gas tank.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The fix is to go to your local dealer and have the bed step replaced with 82215289AG. They may need to order one for you. Make sure you mention Recall V93. If it is installed on truck, dealer will install it. If it is in the box, they will exchange it. This only applies if you have the Mopar 82215289AB step kit which is cast iron. If yours is stamped steel, you are ok. All the AB units are cast iron. Remember, these are Mopar kits sold by the parts department and installed after the truck was built. This whole thing is too bad because the cast iron unit is probably much stronger that the replacement stamped steel. But in an accident they must have seen the cast iron unit not buckling correctly and a domino affect occurs which ultimately can damage the gas tank.
Has anyone used both units? Can you tell the difference between the two? I have pretty tight clearance with my exhaust and I wonder if the newest mode will work just the same also

Bram2019

Reaction score
I can tell you the difference is very obvious. It is completely different in the way it is made where it attaches to your trucks frame. The bottom part you step on is unchanged. as are the hinges. The top section on the new unit is stamped steel welded together as opposed to the original one piece cast iron. How it fits in the truck in regards to exhaust, I don't know.

stevestrike

Reaction score
Interesting, I got the 82215289AF directly from Mopar in July. It’s very heavy and rugged but I didn’t pay much attention to how the attachment points were manufactured.

It doesn’t seem like this model is part of the recall

Bram2019

Reaction score
You are correct. Only the 82215289AB units were made of cast iron. All others are stamped steel welded together.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dealership Is refusing to replace mine because it doesn’t show factory installed under my vin. Recall clearly shows installed or uninstalled if you have the part number it should be replaced no questions asked. Any help?

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Dealership Is refusing to replace mine because it doesn’t show factory installed under my vin. Recall clearly shows installed or uninstalled if you have the part number it should be replaced no questions asked. Any help?
I had the same problem at my dealer. They say they can’t find anything about the recall. I’ll get it replaced one way or another

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the same problem at my dealer. They say they can’t find anything about the recall. I’ll get it replaced one way or another

I have a case open with RamCares and they’re no help either, completely useless. I even gave them a print out of the recall notice, but they said it wasn’t addressed to me so tough s$&!. It’s a Mopar part, that I purchased from a Mopar dealership WTF?

Patsy1099

Reaction score
I have a case open with RamCares and they’re no help either, completely useless. I even gave them a print out of the recall notice, but they said it wasn’t addressed to me so tough s$&!. It’s a Mopar part, that I purchased from a Mopar dealership WTF?

Seems odd to me that a part recalled for safety reasons wouldn’t be swapped. I can see if MAYBE they wouldn’t honor free installation because you can’t prove a dealer installed it and therefore you either have to pay out of pocket for the install or install it yourself. But at the end of the day if it’s deemed to be defective in its design and they don’t swap it, they are liable if something happens, ESPECIALLY since they are now on notice. You can go file a couple of complaints; NHTSA, attorney general, and see if that gets their attention. You can also write and send a letter to corporate, officially “putting them on notice”, that a part recalled due to safety, is being refused replacement.

VinnyRam

Reaction score
I did a live chat with Ram customer service and she can't even find Recall V93 in the system. Told her to search using the part number and that too didn't show a recall.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
I might have figured it out. It appears that this recall is listed under the 2019 Ram CLASSIC. I’m not sure whether that’s intentional or a mistake but you can go to this link and view 14 recalls that are associated with the Classic

UPDATE: so it’s weird. This is listed under the Ram 1500 Classic but if you drill down on the recall notice you can clearly see that it is for all 2019 1500’s. Many of the various (14) recalls listed also appear are for the DT but are filed under Classic.

Last edited:

Ranger482

Reaction score
Great information here. Should be more than sufficient to print and take to the dealer. Clearly says to replace and install at no cost. I have yet to receive the recall notice but will check with my dealer about replacement based on the above.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update: Called the 800 # on the recall notice, the recall didn't come up in their system either. However, she was able to find it on Google. She called the dealership and they told her they're not going to do the recall because it doesn't come up under my VIN so they won't get reimbursed for it. She spoke with someone at her office and confirmed that it doesn't matter about the VIN, if the part# matches the recall# perform the recall. and they will get reimbursed. She called the dealership back and told them to perform the recall and if they have any issues they can call their Warranty Administrator.

Seems like the dealership made no effort whatsoever to resolve the issue for me, p&%$ poor customer service.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Update: Called the 800 # on the recall notice, the recall didn't come up in their system either. However, she was able to find it on Google. She called the dealership and they told her they're not going to do the recall because it doesn't come up under my VIN so they won't get reimbursed for it. She spoke with someone at her office and confirmed that it doesn't matter about the VIN, if the part# matches the recall# perform the recall. and they will get reimbursed. She called the dealership back and told them to perform the recall and if they have any issues they can call their Warranty Administrator.

Seems like the dealership made no effort whatsoever to resolve the issue for me, p&%$ poor customer service.
I figured I would call the number as my next step. I’ll wait until I’m going on for something else before I do though

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/