5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 12 inch screen issues when cold

ram2100

Reaction score
My 2019 Limited continues to have camera issues when it's cold out. When warm this never happens, but when cold, as in less than 32 degrees, it flakes out like the picture attached.

It will stay this way until you turn the truck off and back on, and then it will work fine.

Today (23 degrees) it went into backup camera, stayed totally black and froze. I could change the volume and that's about it. No other controls worked and could not turn off the seat warmer or steering wheel heater. That was a very warm ride. Even after stopping, opening door, starting again, it would not come back. Had to finally park it for 30 minutes and it finally recovered.

Anyone else experiencing these issues?

Attachments

• 20200214_broken camera.jpg
    20200214_broken camera.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 112

jcvertin

Reaction score
I have the exact same issue. It seems to happen when it’s below 25 degrees. It usually goes away if I let the truck warm up first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmostheDog

Reaction score
My 2019 Limited continues to have camera issues when it's cold out. When warm this never happens, but when cold, as in less than 32 degrees, it flakes out like the picture attached.

It will stay this way until you turn the truck off and back on, and then it will work fine.

Today (23 degrees) it went into backup camera, stayed totally black and froze. I could change the volume and that's about it. No other controls worked and could not turn off the seat warmer or steering wheel heater. That was a very warm ride. Even after stopping, opening door, starting again, it would not come back. Had to finally park it for 30 minutes and it finally recovered.

Anyone else experiencing these issues?

Yes. I had this happen last month on my new 2020 Rebel. The U Connect and all controls froze during a snow storm. Restarting didn't solve. You would think Ram would put more V&V into a system that controls 90% of the cars accessories. Trying to work with RAM on these issues has been an nightmare. They definitely don't hold themselves accountable for providing a product that works from my experience with them over the past month.

Apexcars

Reaction score
Mine stutters a lot when it gets below freezing. Hasn't gotten that cold since the latest update though so maybe that will help.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ram should obviously address this. @RamCares

However I wonder if some insulation somewhere would be an easy fix?

RamFever2020

Reaction score
Hello, I’m new here. I have a 2020 Laramie with the 12” screen as well. I have exact same problem. When temperature falls in the 68 or colder, the touchscreen doesn’t respond. It acts like it locks up but when pressing the outer buttons around the screen they all function just fine. Even the buttons on steering wheel works fine. So after the first start of the day, I get that. Once the interior is warmed up and only after the second start, everything works normally. Now that I’m in the PNW, it’s much colder and the touchscreen is always unresponsive. Has anybody had any resolution on this yet?

Mark O

Reaction score
Hello, I’m new here. I have a 2020 Laramie with the 12” screen as well. I have exact same problem. When temperature falls in the 68 or colder, the touchscreen doesn’t respond. It acts like it locks up but when pressing the outer buttons around the screen they all function just fine. Even the buttons on steering wheel works fine. So after the first start of the day, I get that. Once the interior is warmed up and only after the second start, everything works normally. Now that I’m in the PNW, it’s much colder and the touchscreen is always unresponsive. Has anybody had any resolution on this yet?
I have a 2019 and seem to have same issues? Screen freezes up on occasion

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This all sounds like hardware issues, either in the head or in the camera. Leave it overnight at your dealer and have them see it and fix it.

technowerks

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Limited. Same crap; live in MN and when it gets below freezing it takes a good 20mins before the touch-screen warms and functions. Anyone ever find a fix short of moving South!

RHeller1

Reaction score
In MN as well. Have never had this happen. Weird..hope you get it figured out.

BlkLimited22s

Reaction score
I have same problem. Only happens between 35-25 degrees F and if higher humidity. Clears once warmed up and you restart the truck.

Izzy1551

Reaction score
Has anyone found a fix for this, 11/26/2023. Happened last year and it’s happening again this year. Mine does the same cameras don’t work, heated seats and steering wheel won’t work, heater won’t work until like 25-30 minutes of idling.

Psimpson

Reaction score
Mine would quit responding late last winter, Its starting to do it again now. Once it starts responding, it's fine. My heater still works and I can change temp using the buttons outside of the screen

moabbikr

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Rebel and my screen goes black when it's really cold.. Can't control anything until it warms up and turns back on. Ram should definitely be held accountable as this could be a safety issue.

cbrauly

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Rebel and the last two mornings have been near freezing. The 12 inch screen and surrounding switches, the f doors windows and lock do not work and I get a message the blind spot system is not working. Air conditioner/heat is inop. Once it warms up everything works. WTF.

cbrauly

Reaction score
Has anyone tried replacing the battery? Did this help? Im in Vegas and the summer heat is hard on batteries. I’ve been thinking about replacing mine just before this happened. Or is it just a cold soak problem?

Users who are viewing this thread