5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2" Level Kit Towing Effect

laminad

Reaction score
Not sure whether towing forum or suspension is right place... so I'll start here

Scheduled to have 2" Readylift Level (Top Hat + New Arms), and I'm having second thoughts because I'm purchasing a 7200 GVWR Airstream TT next year (1100 Tongue Weight). Any input and real life experience towing heavy-ish with level kits is appreciated. Will have an Equalizer WD and thinking about Timbrens SES as well to reduce sag...

Also, considering 275/60 r20 tires as well (33"). 3.92 gear ratio. Anyone lifted or leveled with larger tires towing? How are tranny temps? Braking?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are going to be answers in agreement and against.

Personally if I was towing regularly I would not level.

That is a very large tongue weight. Most of these trucks have been having between 1400 and 1500 lbs of payload. So I hope your passengers and cargo are real close to the 300 -400lb range.

You are also getting real close to the maximum tongue weight of 1400lbs with the wdh and are over the 1000lbs for non-wdh

Some people say anything rear of your rear axle is tongue weight, so you will have to use the front part of your bed (if that is true)

Good luck with your decision. Sorry I don't have any experience towing with a level kit.

mikemcfarland

Reaction score

That is a very large tongue weight. Most of these trucks have been having between 1400 and 1500 lbs of payload. So I hope your passengers and cargo are real close to the 300 -400lb range.

You are also getting real close to the maximum tongue weight of 1400lbs with the wdh and are over the 1000lbs for non-wdh

Some people say anything dear of your dear axle is tongue weight, so you will have to use the front part of your bed (if that is true)

Good luck with your decision. Sorry I don't have any experience towing with a level kit.

if anyone knows or has a suggestion on towing @devildodge would know.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Only going that size of tire shouldn't affect towing much at all. These new axles have big brakes attached and the Hemi seems to be able to keep cool,and the transmission seems well setup for towing.

You should also be able to getthat size tire to fit without a level.

Not 100percent sure though.

laminad

Reaction score

Some people say anything rear of your rear axle is tongue weight, so you will have to use the front part of your bed (if that is true)

Good info. My Payload is 1567.
1150 tongue weight is worst case scenario, these dang Airstreams are tongue heavy. Side note, I think I'm getting the same model used in the Edmunds towing video. I believe Ram derates their Class IV hitch to 1350 max.. can't remember exact number.

I want the level, but I think it would look bad with stock size tires. In my research, going to a 275/60 tire is mixed, but generally accepted. A 34" tire seems to stress temps, breaking, and mpg, and effective gear ratios. But those trucks I see on this forum look so freaking awesome. Ugh.

Payload is going to be an issue, but

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Side note, I think I'm getting the same model used in the Edmunds towing video.
He definitely seemed to tow that fine. He never did really get into payload and such.

My Payload is 1567
That is a decent payload for the 1500.

Hope it all works for you. I will be anxious to hear the final outcome.

RBRK

Reaction score
The stock tires are small on the 19’ they look stupid in my opinion, why they didn’t go with the 275/60/20 is another duh moment. I put that exact size on mine. I can’t tell any difference in power, I tow around 6000 lb trailer with the load inside plus it’s 9ft tall.

I use the Andersen sway control hitch and it works awesome. Any WDH should keep your truck level when set up correctly right? That’s the idea to shift the weight forward. I used this exact setup on my 13’ that was level, but I did have the airlift low pressure air bags and I ran 15 lbs in them.

I have towed with the 19’ almost 1000 miles so far and it was fine, but it wasn’t leveled then and it didn’t have the bigger tires on, so I can’t give you a definite answer yet, but it worked fine with the 13’ with the same size tires. I guess the only thing I wonder is if I will need some of those $90 airlift bags to keep it perfect or maybe those bump stops will work good too. I was hoping to go out this weekend with the new setup, but rain is on the way here, so I probably won’t go out.

Current truck with 275/60/20

Old truck with level and WDH and small airbags bags in springs.

Current truck with no level and tiny tires.

Attachments

• 9D96E9DB-5CF6-415F-8FD4-9ABD5D0F053B.jpeg
    9D96E9DB-5CF6-415F-8FD4-9ABD5D0F053B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 144
  • C236FFAD-8058-4380-B59A-F1B96048FA63.jpeg
    C236FFAD-8058-4380-B59A-F1B96048FA63.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 148
  • 7F162533-A1F0-460E-88FC-B1CC08924CB7.jpeg
    7F162533-A1F0-460E-88FC-B1CC08924CB7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 134
Last edited:

Agitated

Reaction score
If you level the front of the truck, then you will be wanting air bags in the rear to keep it level when towing. A WDH isn't going to do enough to keep it level. Either than or add rear spring spacers, but then it won't be level when unloaded. I've always had rear airbags on my trucks, thinking about adding them to this one too. I still use a WDH with the bags, it helps put a little more weight on the steer axle for control.

laminad

Reaction score
The stock tires are small on the 19’ they look stupid in my opinion, why they didn’t go with the 275/60/20 is another duh moment. I put that exact size on mine. I can’t tell any difference in power, I tow around 6000 lb trailer with the load inside plus it’s 9ft tall.

I use the Andersen sway control hitch and it works awesome. Any WDH should keep your truck level when set up correctly right? That’s the idea to shift the weight forward. I used this exact setup on my 13’ that was level, but I did have the airlift low pressure air bags and I ran 15 lbs in them.

I have towed with the 19’ almost 1000 miles so far and it was fine, but it wasn’t leveled then and it didn’t have the bigger tires on, so I can’t give you a definite answer yet, but it worked fine with the 13’ with the same size tires. I guess the only thing I wonder is if I will need some of those $90 airlift bags to keep it perfect or maybe those bump stops will work good too. I was hoping to go out this weekend with the new setup, but rain is on the way here, so I probably won’t go out.

Thanks for info - very helpful - and beautiful truck - looks a lot like mine but nicer, since I have the lowly Big Horn Sport :)

I decided to hold off on the level. After some forum browsing and research, I think that I'd rather spend $ on new shoes and 275/60 20's which I believe will fit on stock ride height. Question - do you change your spare tire size b/c now you have a larger tire diameter? If yes, what size did you go to? Did you recal your speedo?

I'll be interested to hear how your leveled, larger tire truck tows that trailer. Also, interested to hear what kind of cool toys you have in there :)

Thanks!

RBRK

Reaction score
I Didn't change the spare the tire size is 1' taller, not enough to worry about for me on a temporary use basis. I bought the rough country preload spacer to level, I also just bought the rough country speedo calibrator and used that since, we couldn't find a way to calibrate through the dealership, my friend said on the newer Jeeps you need to purchase a code from FCA to get the speedo calibrated and it was approx $150, not sure so don't quote me on that, but I myself looked through all the sytems while hooked up and couldn't find a way to adjust for tire size. I know a few said they have had the dealer do it, but I can't confirm this. Another person on here said as of right now there is no way to do it from the dealer.
The programmer is $175 which sucks for what you need it for but I didn't like it being off 3-4 mph at 75. I was going to buy a tuner for 4-500 which gives some performance etc. along with the tire size calibration, but decided, I'm fine with the way it is and aftermarket tuning usually has some issues and didn't want to mess with it.

I have a Can Am X3 in the trailer along with snowmobiles in the winter.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

Great looking rig btw.

Bellpa

Reaction score

What brand of tire did you go with? I like the blackwall versus OWL.

Users who are viewing this thread