5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2” or 2.5” level. Please help me decide!

Which size front level without changing the UCA’s?

• 2”

Votes: 28 80.0%
  • 2.5”

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm about to do the Revel link/Daystar spacer combo on my Limited. Was not planning on leaving any rake because from what I understand my air suspension should level me back out if my load or trailer squats me, is that correct?

Sorry, don’t know anything about the air suspensions …. I just know perfectly level, these things appear to be nose high, and I hate that look …. I’m leavin 1” of rake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm about to do the Revel link/Daystar spacer combo on my Limited. Was not planning on leaving any rake because from what I understand my air suspension should level me back out if my load or trailer squats me, is that correct?
Yes the air suspension will adjust the rear height to account for a load. Within reason of course. If you put 1800 lbs in the bed it's going to squat. If you put a more typical load, like 300 lbs in the bed, the air ride will level it back out. I'm not sure what the limits are or what weight starts to surpass the air rides leveling ability, but yes it will adjust as you understood it.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes the air suspension will adjust the rear height to account for a load. Within reason of course. If you put 1800 lbs in the bed it's going to squat. If you put a more typical load, like 300 lbs in the bed, the air ride will level it back out. I'm not sure what the limits are or what weight starts to surpass the air rides leveling ability, but yes it will adjust as you understood it.
That makes me think I should leave at least a little bit of rake since I'm planning on towing a TT that will put somewhere in the area of 800lbs of tongue weight back there...

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, don’t know anything about the air suspensions …. I just know perfectly level, these things appear to be nose high, and I hate that look …. I’m leavin 1” of rake

agree here, then it goes to what look somebody is trying to achieve and how the truck is use for - carry heavy loads or tow etc
In that sense adjustable struts are the better option incase you need to go up or down. Bilstein's, eibach or belltech seem to be the options available

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That makes me think I should leave at least a little bit of rake since I'm planning on towing a TT that will put somewhere in the area of 800lbs of tongue weight back there...
Yeah a little rake should do you just fine. Maybe 1/2" or so ought to do it. I doubt you'd need much, but you could test it.
Measure the rear height next time you plan to hook up the trailer. Once you're hooked up, measure it again. The height/rake should be the same if the bags were able to adjust for that load. If not, whatever the height/rake difference is before and after is how much rake you should maintain so you tow level.

agree here, then it goes to what look somebody is trying to achieve and how the truck is use for - carry heavy loads or tow etc
In that sense adjustable struts are the better option incase you need to go up or down. Bilstein's, eibach or belltech seem to be the options available
I've heard that argument before (on other forums too), but IMO it seems flawed.
They aren't adjustable "on the fly" to account for a random heavy load. You have to take the suspension apart to adjust them. People will usually reply that despite that issue, you can adjust the parts you have rather than buying new parts which in theory is cheaper. Except Bilstein 5100's tend to go for about $100 each, so $200 for the set if you're doing the front or rear only. You can get a Motofab top hat spacer set for $40 on ebay. Here's a LINK from the first listing on saw by typing "leveling kit Ram 1500" into the search on ebay.
Even if you decide to replace that with a different height kit, you'll only be spending another $40, so you'll have $80 into both sets. That's not even the cost of one Bilstein strut. So you don't save labor because you have to take the suspension apart to adjust the height, and you don't save money. I would contend that Bilsteins are a great choice if you want a different strut, but they're no more logical than a spacer if you're unsure about what height you want to use.

U

User_34235

Shots, great explanation and write up. Thanks for taking the time to explain that to us. And thanks for the eBay link as well but that does scare me a little in the sense of the cost. That same Motofab lift from Amazon is over $60 and direct from Motofab is over $70 so its kind of scary to see the same kit on eBay for less than $40. It might be the same, who knows but does make me wonder..... :)

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I got mine direct from Motofab with rear spacers too, and it was around $150 for the complete set. That's roughly $75 for each pair. I thought $40 seemed low but I would have bought them from ebay, if I had seen them for that price at the time. I can certainly see being cautious about moving parts, struts, springs, etc. However, a top hat spacer is a chunk of material (steel, aluminum, resin, etc) and pretty hard to screw up.
The biggest concern I'd have with a potential knock-off is quality control. Are both spacers the same thickness? Are the bolts grade 8 or better? Are the threads clean? Is the material cast or billet and/or are there any cracks? All of those are easy enough to check once you get them, so it's pretty low risk. Worst case is you see they're a knock-off and send it back. Best case is, it's legit and you got a great deal.
Assuming you get what's pictured there like you should, they'll come in the Motofab box, with the papers and markings on the spacers. Seems pretty legit. If they show up without any of that, it's definitely a red flag.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought the eBay ones and have not had an issue with them at all. Only reason I'm going to replace them down the road is for coilovers.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's another link to an ebay set. These are KSP, which is a fairly big name in wheel spacers, so this shouldn't be a big leap for them. Even cheaper than Motofab, coming in at $30.

U

User_34235

Thanks Shots for the link and reply. I looked at the first set you linked to and their feedback as well as the number of the units sold and decided to give them a shot. Looks pretty promising so I will see once they get here.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Motofab ones worked great for me. 2” level and it’s pretty much perfect

U

User_34235

Theblet.....Thanks a lot for letting me know. I ordered a set and hope to put them on within the next few weeks.......depending on the weather here in Ohio. :)

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Theblet.....Thanks a lot for letting me know. I ordered a set and hope to put them on within the next few weeks.......depending on the weather here in Ohio. :)

6-8” on Sunday …. Hoping to try out the 4WD

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah a little rake should do you just fine. Maybe 1/2" or so ought to do it. I doubt you'd need much, but you could test it.
Measure the rear height next time you plan to hook up the trailer. Once you're hooked up, measure it again. The height/rake should be the same if the bags were able to adjust for that load. If not, whatever the height/rake difference is before and after is how much rake you should maintain so you tow level.

I've heard that argument before (on other forums too), but IMO it seems flawed.
They aren't adjustable "on the fly" to account for a random heavy load. You have to take the suspension apart to adjust them. People will usually reply that despite that issue, you can adjust the parts you have rather than buying new parts which in theory is cheaper. Except Bilstein 5100's tend to go for about $100 each, so $200 for the set if you're doing the front or rear only. You can get a Motofab top hat spacer set for $40 on ebay. Here's a LINK from the first listing on saw by typing "leveling kit Ram 1500" into the search on ebay.
Even if you decide to replace that with a different height kit, you'll only be spending another $40, so you'll have $80 into both sets. That's not even the cost of one Bilstein strut. So you don't save labor because you have to take the suspension apart to adjust the height, and you don't save money. I would contend that Bilsteins are a great choice if you want a different strut, but they're no more logical than a spacer if you're unsure about what height you want to use.
maybe I should had been more specific for those that don't know yet. correct as you mentioned the struts are not adjustable on the fly but depending on what package you have like off road package the options I mentioned should still be consider. I have the off road package and after measuring several times the 2" motofab would have put me nose hide. I went with beltech and did a 1.5" lift which put level and sometimes I feel a bit nose height.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks Shots for the link and reply. I looked at the first set you linked to and their feedback as well as the number of the units sold and decided to give them a shot. Looks pretty promising so I will see once they get here.
I don't believe you ever mentioned if you had the off road package or not. I will also mentioned that I have read enough post to make me think not all trucks measure the same even when you compare 2 identical trucks with the same package. this is mine with offroad package and a 1.5 front lift
20211220_093903.jpg

U

User_34235

I don't believe you ever mentioned if you had the off road package or not. I will also mentioned that I have read enough post to make me think not all trucks measure the same even when you compare 2 identical trucks with the same package. this is mine with offroad package and a 1.5 front lift
View attachment 117583
That looks spot on....still a little rake but not like stock. To answer your question I do not have the off road package. When I measured the truck it showed I had 2.5" difference between front and rear, so I went with the 2" spacers and hope to be able to put them on soon.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That looks spot on....still a little rake but not like stock. To answer your question I do not have the off road package. When I measured the truck it showed I had 2.5" difference between front and rear, so I went with the 2" spacers and hope to be able to put them on soon.
I did give the motofab kit a hard look and had my truck not have the off road package I would have gone with the motofab.
I also drive an 05 jeep grand Cherokee with a similar kit to the motofab all around and I can't complain about the ride and yes it is less expensive and easier to install if you plan on doing it on your own

U

User_34235

I did give the motofab kit a hard look and had my truck not have the off road package I would have gone with the motofab.
I also drive an 05 jeep grand Cherokee with a similar kit to the motofab all around and I can't complain about the ride and yes it is less expensive and easier to install if you plan on doing it on your own
Thanks for the response. I do plan on installing it my own with the help of my son and a auto skills center that has all the tools I need/want. I am not trying to lift the truck, just level it out. Hopefully it does not put up too much of a fight...lol

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
6-8” on Sunday …. Hoping to try out the 4WD
LOL, well that 6-8" turned out to be 16" for me. My truck stayed nice and safe in the garage. I'm sure it could walk though the snow without much issue (especially with the Duratrac tires) since I've had Rams in these conditions before. I'd be more concerned about those who can't handle the conditions running into me.
I assume you got to test the 4wd. What'd you think?

I will also mentioned that I have read enough post to make me think not all trucks measure the same even when you compare 2 identical trucks with the same package.
You're absolutely right. Not only have I read it, but I've measured it myself, and it's not exclusive to Ram. There's not a huge difference between "identical" trucks, but it's not uncommon to be a little different. Why? Beats me, but that is absolutely a thing, you are correct.

Users who are viewing this thread