5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 488 magnum, 5 speed, 4x4

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the old RustBucket made it through another camping season. We travelled home yesterday from the last weekend of camping at most of the state parks here.

Truck still tows so well, and it is a truck that gets worked so I don't have to worry about much other than enjoying it. I did kinda clean it though, it was raining as it has everyday this year, and I rubbed up against the side.

I wish I had all the parts ready for the sheet metal extravaganza I have been planning...but I don't.

I got to get ball joints replaced, sway bar endlinks, will have to replacethe other wheel bearing and will probably do both joints again. I have to decide how i am finishing the exhaust. Need new tires too, wanted to go bigger...but think I will just stay stock again.

Still contemplating what to do about a 1500, a 2018 2500 and I guess really I am in a holding pattern til I seethe 2019 HD.

We may make one or 2 more trips...not sure yet.

Winter is just about here.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The ole Rustbucket just got a new brother to take up the reigns of campground finder.

A 6.4l Hemi is going to take up were the 8.0l Magnum lets off.

The 99 is going to recieve some chemo for the cancer...and get some mods.

Is a great truck and deserves to stop dying a slow death.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Got the ole V10 up to my camp. Had to speed shift the gears and use the starter to get her going.

Definitely getting a new clutch.

I plan to remove all the duct tape and fender flares to expose the cancer and start treatment.

This truck took everything thrown at it in stride.

I hope the 2015 will do the same.

Dynamite

Reaction score
Nice truck remembers me the Twister Film!!!
Heres my 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 360 Magnum Auto 3.54:1 Dana im the second owner... Rust-Free down here :cool:. Screenshot_2020-01-09-08-16-45~2.png

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I sure wish mine was. I miss rowing the gears, hearing that V10 MAGNUM burble, and letting it just be a truck.

I hope to get into rebuilding its body soon. Too much to do and not enough time.

Thanks for sharing your 2nd Gen Ram. @Dynamite

Great looking truck.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
265/75 R16 on factory wheels.

I have been acquiring parts over the past few years. My wife's 03 has similar rust issues, got a pile of parts for it too.

My son is 6, he wants it ready for his 16th birthday. He is a great helper, so that gives us 9 years and some months.

Here he is fixing the wheel bearing at camp a few years ago.
20180616_102521.jpg
I busted them loose but he took them all off.

I kept adding duct tape and used the fenderflares to pass inspection.

In some pics it still has the stock 245s also, so not sure which now. Right now it has 245s on it, we plan to go 295 when we redo it.

It still runs like a champion...heck it still has more torque than my 6.4l just down about 119 on horses. The 5 speed manual let's me pick how many hit the ground hard.

I love this truck, if that is such a thing, and my son is bonded to it aswell.

xardas42

Reaction score
Awesome truck! I too have a V10, not Sport, but SLT HD 2500. My truck is also bright red, quad cab and same cancer. I recently bought the 2019 Power Wagon because I couldn't keep up with the repairs. The old girl is behind the garage waiting to be restored. Still runs smooth with 125k miles but the duct tape can't hold her together anymore. Currently restoring an '01 SLT 1500 5.9 for my Daughter, then the V10 is next. Cheers.

Attachments

• Passenger side.jpeg
    Passenger side.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 5

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome. We start ours soon. Figure when the boy turns 10 we will go hog wild...give him 6 years to learn everything about it

xardas42

Reaction score
The pic above is when I bought it used from the dealer in 2007. I'll take some updated pics when the rain stops. Can't wait for the restoration to begin.

Users who are viewing this thread