5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 488 magnum, 5 speed, 4x4

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I've always liked the second gens, about 15 years ago I towed a car on a car trailer from Vancouver B.C to Chicago IL, dropped that car off and towed another back. That was in a 98-99 3500 Cummins, it was a comfortable truck and didn't give me any issues throughout the trip.

I'm sorry for the loss of your dog as well, I've been there and I know it's tough.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank You, we miss him alot. Camping season is about to start...it will be more.

In 99 the V10 stock was still more powerful than the Cummins stock...of course we know which one can easily be tuned...but my V10 pulls or hauls or pulls and hauls everything we put in it.

I just can't get rid of the Ole Ram. No more gas powered manuals and I was never a big fan of the 3rd Gens (although we own one). But the 4th Gens are impressive and I have a feeling the 5TH GEN RAMS are going to blow me away.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
devildodge said:
Thank You, we miss him alot. Camping season is about to start...it will be more.

In 99 the V10 stock was still more powerful than the Cummins stock...of course we know which one can easily be tuned...but my V10 pulls or hauls or pulls and hauls everything we put in it.

I just can't get rid of the Ole Ram. No more gas powered manuals and I was never a big fan of the 3rd Gens (although we own one). But the 4th Gens are impressive and I have a feeling the 5TH GEN RAMS are going to blow me away.
A V10 second gen is definitely a truck worth keeping. I'd love to find a clean one and pick it up just to have it one day, definitely very cool trucks. I've definitely been very happy with my 4th Gen, and I agree I think the 5th Gen trucks are going to be a huge step forward. I really look forward to getting behind the wheel of one.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
bed extender, best money I have spent in a long while. Use it all the time. I want a long bed...but then I can't park the camper at the "city" house. Have to squeeze past the neighbors garage in the alley, only got an inch and a quarter clearance...no room for 2 more feet. I love this truck. 198000 miles by the end of the weekend.
(see attachment) 2018-03-02 09.59.11.jpg

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, we reserved some camping last night with our first trip in less than a month. Rust keeps on keeping on, and I got to figure my route with that, but for now it is a working truck and work it does.

Got new reverse lights to put on, need to get the trailer plug custom fit into the license plate surround like the newer trucks...keep ripping it off when off roading.

Got some wood to cut and split.

Can't wait to hook that trailer up and head out.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
picture my friend took seeing me at a stoplight. Last camping trip with my copilot. Not sure if you can see it or not but if you zoom in on the passenger side you can see him sitting there.(see attachment)
In 2 weeks I will really be missing him, but so can not wait to head camping, kayaking, biking, hiking, and geocaching IMG_88011.jpg

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
(see attachment)
Pulled into my lane as my truck turned over to 200000.

Attachments

• 2018-04-04 20.45.59.jpg
    2018-04-04 20.45.59.jpg
    828.7 KB · Views: 100

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Nice I just dinged 50000km today
1f609.png

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
devildodge said:
(see attachment)
Our favorite trucks. Hopefully his won't rust. He gets better fuel mileage, but I don't have to charge mine at night and I can haul his, he can't haul mine.
Better get it Krown sprayed so she don't rust
icon_lol.gif

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We made it out on our first camping trip of the season. All went well and a good time was had.
We missed our dog as expected, but we sure didn't miss the pet sites.

The Ole V10 decided to give up its Throttle position sensor, but luckily it threw a code on the way to get last minute supplies, so I knew what was going on. It was a bit tense going up over the mountain, but another reason to stick with a 2500, I know the 1500s have become much more capable but I prefer having capacity versus maxing it.

So 700 miles into 200000 I had to spend 42 bucks. I also need to move the brake system replacement ahead. A sticking Caliper has all but destroyed my stopping power.

And I believe I may be going with a quiet muffler...for now I have lost interest in a "loud" truck.

Debating going again this weekend, but the weather isn't to be to nice so maybe not.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
devildodge said:
We made it out on our first camping trip of the season. All went well and a good time was had.
We missed our dog as expected, but we sure didn't miss the pet sites.

The Ole V10 decided to give up its Throttle position sensor, but luckily it threw a code on the way to get last minute supplies, so I knew what was going on. It was a bit tense going up over the mountain, but another reason to stick with a 2500, I know the 1500s have become much more capable but I prefer having capacity versus maxing it.

So 700 miles into 200000 I had to spend 42 bucks. I also need to move the brake system replacement ahead. A sticking Caliper has all but destroyed my stopping power.

And I believe I may be going with a quiet muffler...for now I have lost interest in a "loud" truck.

Debating going again this weekend, but the weather isn't to be to nice so maybe not.
Glad you enjoyed yourself, too bad about the TPS sensor going out but at least you got it dealt with.

My first camping trip of the year is booked for the end of May, we should finally have some decent weather then. A friend of mine picked up a super clean 04 WJ Grand Cherokee Columbia edition yesterday for camping this year.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
the Ole V10 got to hang out with its little brother today...although he is already as big as him...if not bigger(see attachment) 2018-04-22 15.56.44.jpg

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
(see attachment)
If this had Tow mirrors and Ram box, it would have been receiving our 13 Cummins as trade. I want a Powerwagon, but the Rebel is really growing on me, had this been a 19 I would have probably had to have the wife do an intervention, although this is her favorite truck right now.

Attachments

• 2018-04-22 21.00.56.jpg
    2018-04-22 21.00.56.jpg
    673.6 KB · Views: 56

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
devildodge said:
(see attachment)
If this had Tow mirrors and Ram box, it would have been receiving our 13 Cummins as trade. I want a Powerwagon, but the Rebel is really growing on me, had this been a 19 I would have probably had to have the wife do an intervention, although this is her favorite truck right now.
I see a new 1500 in your driveway by the end of the year at this rate.
1f609.png

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
it is scary. I don't want a 1500, don't need a new truck, don't have any intrest in a payment, but by gosh the Rebel is really tugging at me. Can't wait to see a 2019 rebel, but I sure shouldn't.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well with the warmer weather it has become evident that the starter has lived it's life. Going to have to replace it. Am also replacing front brake system, from rotors to pads to calipers to rubber lines.

Got to get at the rust. Probably cover it up another year. One day it will get new metal and a new color...right now a green or a blue is coming, or just stay with the red...who knows.

Next on the list is reverse lights and a new radio/dvd so I can have a back up camera.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, passenger side is completly new brake wise up front.

Drivers side...well that is another story.

Sure was wishing the local dealer would have had a Rebel on the lot (thank you Ram roll out team for your decision to delay the Rebel)

Couldn't get the wheelbearing to let loose and didn't want to destroy it, so I measured the rotor and let it stay. New caliper and pads and eventually in the next week will get to the rubber line done (rust destroyed the mount it goes into).

My brand new brake lines I had installed are fine, but as noted, the fittings are not copper nickel and rusted just fine too.

Had to replace a small section due to the fiting being froze to the line and not realizing it.

Still, 265 bucks is alot cheaper than a payment and she still runs so good.

Got to get to some other things...starter keeps reminding me it is time.
263a.png

Users who are viewing this thread