5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

180 degree thermostat

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have to agree here. If you have a 220 that and you are hitting 250, well it is open at 220, so what difference does it make if it opens at 180? It is still circulating 250 coolant.

That said, while my truck is a slow mass produced pickup truck like you guys drive I leave it stock for that reason, my car has a 180 Stat. Why? Because while they had it apart putting in a cam, I replaced all the other parts. And the tuner said I should. So what's another $20? 😆
If your tuner tuned for it, that's a different story.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Have to agree here. If you have a 220 that and you are hitting 250, well it is open at 220, so what difference does it make if it opens at 180? It is still circulating 250 coolant.

That's not how it works. Lower tstat = lower coolant at all times (once hitting the 180ish threshold) = cooler engine. My truck now tows at the same oil temps it used to run at unloaded.

When climbing a grade, you also start with a lower temps, giving you more breathing room before hitting >= 250.

If the grade was long enough, I might eventually reach the same temps I saw before, but the point is I don't come across those hills. The next step to combat that would be an aftermarker oil cooler which was on my list but is on hold due to the success of these 2 mods.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No, I’m just saying what others are thinking.
Not every post is your opportunity to show people how smart you think you are.
Again, get a life.

You're taking this way too personally.

Users who are viewing this thread