5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

180 degree thermostat

kayallen

Reaction score
Not trying to sound like a smart Alec, so please don’t take it that way.
But just so you’re clear, even though water boils at 212 Degrees Fahrenheit…

Coolant and water, in a pressurized system, doesn’t boil anywhere near that.
obvious disclaimer.. as long as the right type of coolant, correct mixture, and the system is in fact sealed, no restrictions, etc., in other words, a properly functioning cooling system.

The fact you’re driving mostly highway.. little to no chance of it getting to hot, unless said system was an issue as posted above.

What you are probably smelling is coolant overflow tube venting into the atmosphere…. After checking coolant level several times, checking the overflow level, etc., I just let it be and worry about other things. :)
Thx..yeah I actually have waited quite a while..102k miles kinda thinking about it till I did this..just something I decided to do..I'm in texas so it's really hot most of the time..I just posted on here to get feedback on the fans..but didn't go so well..so yeah I'm not goin to worry about this I'm just going to get off this forum..thx

kayallen

Reaction score
I mean, my 1966 D100 has a 180 tstat from the factory. But then again you didn't want the engines running hot to flash off the fuel before it entered CC. Fuel injected engines are quite a bit different
Thx vincent..I think I had one of those trucks!

dajogejr

Reaction score
Thx..yeah I actually have waited quite a while..102k miles kinda thinking about it till I did this..just something I decided to do..I'm in texas so it's really hot most of the time..I just posted on here to get feedback on the fans..but didn't go so well..so yeah I'm not goin to worry about this I'm just going to get off this forum..thx
I think there’s a distinction to be made between want and need.
The truck needs nothing, it’s running exactly as designed. At the operating temps most modern gas vehicles do, between 195 and 225, depending on what source you ask/look at/read.

Want… that’s all on you. You can want it to run 165 degrees, painted like a speedboat and turn on your windshield washers to simulate water/waves splashing about you… LOL.

Feel free to do whatever you want…your truck, your money.
Just make sure you’re able to separate the two. Sometimes that’s a bit blurry. I think in this case, though, it was a little more clear cut.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You got the answer to your question about the fans. Some others tried to educate you on engine temps, the tune, and engine performance. Those comments didn't match your opinion, doesn't mean they are wrong. Nobody was disrespectful in any of their comments. I guess if you just want to hear affirmations about changes you make, it might be better to stick with forums that match your opinions.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think there’s a distinction to be made between want and need.
The truck needs nothing, it’s running exactly as designed. At the operating temps most modern gas vehicles do, between 195 and 225, depending on what source you ask/look at/read.

Want… that’s all on you. You can want it to run 165 degrees, painted like a speedboat and turn on your windshield washers to simulate water/waves splashing about you… LOL.

Feel free to do whatever you want…your truck, your money.
Just make sure you’re able to separate the two. Sometimes that’s a bit blurry. I think in this case, though, it was a little more clear cut.

165 is a strawman, we're not looking to run at 165 so it's not really helping the discussion to paint us like we're crazy when we're not asking for those low temps.

The truck doesn't just run up to 225, I've had it up to 250 while towing before slowing down because it was still climbing. This is "not good". If yall just get groceries with your trucks then yes you're fine on the factory tstat.

dajogejr

Reaction score
165 is a strawman, we're not looking to run at 165 so it's not really helping the discussion to paint us like we're crazy when we're not asking for those low temps.

The truck doesn't just run up to 225, I've had it up to 250 while towing before slowing down because it was still climbing. This is "not good". If yall just get groceries with your trucks then yes you're fine on the factory tstat.
Speaking of boats…
I think you may have missed it and the point I was trying to make, note the paint job and washer fluid as waves/water reference.
Where did I say it only runs up to 225? I said the operating temps for most modern vehicles is 195 to 225.
I didn’t say towing a boat, where you float… or in the heat, in your seat.
That’s a Dr. Seuss reference, so that’s not misunderstood as a strawman argument either.

Silver, it may be time to step away…look up sarcasm and humor.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Speaking of boats…
I think you may have missed it and the point I was trying to make, note the paint job and washer fluid as waves/water reference.
Where did I say it only runs up to 225? I said the operating temps for most modern vehicles is 195 to 225.
I didn’t say towing a boat, where you float… or in the heat, in your seat.
That’s a Dr. Seuss reference, so that’s not misunderstood as a strawman argument either.

Silver, it may be time to step away…look up sarcasm and humor.

The reason some of us are using a 180 is because the operating temp of these trucks goes far past 225, which you would know if you worked it.

The only reason these temps are even hitting 225 is for "fuel efficiency". Drop in a 180 and your temps are not likely to exceed 200 unless you're idling excessively or towing. Heat kills, a cool engine always lasts longer than a hotter one all else being equal.

Users who are viewing this thread