5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

180 degree thermostat

kayallen

Reaction score
I put a 180 degree thermostat and pulled out most of the shutters in 2020 ram..it runs 185 on the freeway or at idle with ac on max which activates my fan..any ideas on programming my fan ..I don't really wanna spend 600 on a tuner..thx

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The fan is supposed to activate with the AC to cool the condenser.

Why did you perform these mods? Just curious

kayallen

Reaction score
The fan is supposed to activate with the AC to cool the condenser.

Why did you perform these mods? Just curious
I just don't think it's good for the motor to run between 204 and 218 or so...back in the day at 220 I would pull off the road..no reason except emissions and mpg for these kind of temps..I get out after 45 min drive and it's just damn near boiling...sooo...just me and my opinion I guess..

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I put a 180 degree thermostat and pulled out most of the shutters in 2020 ram..it runs 185 on the freeway or at idle with ac on max which activates my fan..any ideas on programming my fan ..I don't really wanna spend 600 on a tuner..thx

I did the 180 and AGS delete last summer but left my fan alone. Temps are much cooler. The only time you really need the fan is when you're stopped, even while towing my temps are nicely in check though I haven't done the Eisenhower at 110 either, but its more than good enough for me. Eventually I'll tune it down, I believe you'll need something like HP Tuners to adjust that, one or two hand helds might do it as well but I'm not spending good money on those.

kayallen

Reaction score
I did the 180 and AGS delete last summer but left my fan alone. Temps are much cooler. The only time you really need the fan is when you're stopped, even while towing my temps are nicely in check though I haven't done the Eisenhower at 110 either, but its more than good enough for me. Eventually I'll tune it down, I believe you'll need something like HP Tuners to adjust that, one or two hand helds might do it as well but I'm not spending good money on those.
Well thx..most of my driving is highway..I love it's running 185 now..I used to get to the golf course after 45 min and my motor would smell like antifreeze and be sooo hot it concerned me....I do think I will just leave it alone now..if it gets to 2 something every so often I'm not going to let it bug me...thx for responding

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The engine is tuned to run at 205-210. Without a custom tune, there really is no reason to run a 180 thermostat.

You can call it peace of mind, and I guess if that's all that matters, then so be it. But you will burn more fuel, and it really doesn't make the e fine run any better, and won't extend engine life any.

The only way to adjust when the fans come on is with a custom tune, which would require an unlocked PCM, or install an aftermarket fan controller, but then you will probably have a engine light for the e-fan circuit

vincentw56

Reaction score
The engine is tuned to run at 205-210. Without a custom tune, there really is no reason to run a 180 thermostat.

You can call it peace of mind, and I guess if that's all that matters, then so be it. But you will burn more fuel, and it really doesn't make the e fine run any better, and won't extend engine life any.

The only way to adjust when the fans come on is with a custom tune, which would require an unlocked PCM, or install an aftermarket fan controller, but then you will probably have a engine light for the e-fan circuit
If only Ram had engineers that knew about things like this.

kayallen

Reaction score
Well thx..most of my driving is highway..I love it's running 185 now..I used to get to the golf course after 45 min and my motor would smell like antifreeze and be sooo hot it concerned me....I do think I will just leave it alone now..if it gets to 2 something every so often I'm not going to let it bug me...thx for respon
If only Ram had engineers that knew about things like this.
Well they came up with the vvt..the lifter failures etc..to get better mileage..so whatever

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score

This

silver billet

Reaction score
Well thx..most of my driving is highway..I love it's running 185 now..I used to get to the golf course after 45 min and my motor would smell like antifreeze and be sooo hot it concerned me....I do think I will just leave it alone now..if it gets to 2 something every so often I'm not going to let it bug me...thx for respon

Well they came up with the vvt..the lifter failures etc..to get better mileage..so whatever

Ignore the ignorant :) lots of us on the other forum have done this, there is also a transmission mod you can buy from a guy there called "caulk04" who has a bypass valve that he builds and sells for the zf 8 speed, quite reasonable though I forget what it cost exactly. I bought one but haven't yet installed it as my transmission temps are kept in line while towing but if you feel the need, it's there for you to purchase.

dajogejr

Reaction score
.I get out after 45 min drive and it's just damn near boiling...sooo...just me and my opinion I guess..
Not trying to sound like a smart Alec, so please don’t take it that way.
But just so you’re clear, even though water boils at 212 Degrees Fahrenheit…

Coolant and water, in a pressurized system, doesn’t boil anywhere near that.
obvious disclaimer.. as long as the right type of coolant, correct mixture, and the system is in fact sealed, no restrictions, etc., in other words, a properly functioning cooling system.

The fact you’re driving mostly highway.. little to no chance of it getting to hot, unless said system was an issue as posted above.

What you are probably smelling is coolant overflow tube venting into the atmosphere…. After checking coolant level several times, checking the overflow level, etc., I just let it be and worry about other things. :)

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’ve done a lower temp thermostat on many vehicles in the past. Just not one as computer dependent as my ram.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I’ve done a lower temp thermostat on many vehicles in the past. Just not one as computer dependent as my ram.
What worked on older vehicles doesn't necessarily work on modern vehicles. I ran 180 thermostats on a lot of carb and throttle body injected vehicles. But we are ignorant I guess.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
What worked on older vehicles doesn't necessarily work on modern vehicles. I ran 180 thermostats on a lot of carb and throttle body injected vehicles. But we are ignorant I guess.
Myself as well. Last one I did this on was an 84 Chevy TBI

Users who are viewing this thread