5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18' F150 5.0L vs 19" 5.7 Hemi Drag race

1Raider

Reaction score
Why couldn't Ram increase the power on the Hemi this year with the new platform amazes me... Geez that's the 5.0L and not even the 3.5 ecoboost that's faster than the 5.0L

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Big heavy aftermarket wheels and tires on the Ram doesn't help. Even though I'm sure the 5.0 would still beat it on the stock tires and wheels.

1Raider

Reaction score
Not sure why RAM didn't increase the power on the Hemi for bragging rights

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree it would have been nice to get a power bump but the Hemi still holds its own for what it is. The eTorque should help make the truck a bit quicker off launch and there is another powertrain being worked on that will slot above the Hemi.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree it would have been nice to get a power bump but the Hemi still holds its own for what it is. The eTorque should help make the truck a bit quicker off launch and there is another powertrain being worked on that will slot above the Hemi.
Any specifics on that powertrain?

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Not a lot yet but I and a few of my sources are expecting the Turbo inline 6 that is being engineered to find its way into the Ram.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is very true as well. Motor trend ran a 14.7 1/4 mile with a 2019 Ram. I believe the quickest F150s and 6.2 GMs run 14.4-14.5.
A stock 4x4 crew cab Denali with the 6.2L and 8-speed ran 14.0 for Car and Driver. It'll be interesting to see how the 10-speed performs in the '19s. Of course, you could always send one of those to Hennessey to bring it down into the 12s (with a sub-4.0 0-60) :)

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
A stock 4x4 crew cab Denali with the 6.2L and 8-speed ran 14.0 for Car and Driver. It'll be interesting to see how the 10-speed performs in the '19s. Of course, you could always send one of those to Hennessey to bring it down into the 12s (with a sub-4.0 0-60) :)

That's really impressive for a full sized truck. That said I've seen a lot of real world races go either way. On a prepped track with an experienced driver no doubt the 6.2 would walk away from the Ram.

RBRK

Reaction score
If you look under the hood of the 19’ there seems to be a lot of space, the engine appears to be back really far. I know the lack of traditional fan and no shroud opens it up but I can see a straight 6 in there. I have no complaints with the Hemi and not sure I want to be the first guy with a new engine I also don’t want a eco boost towing their gas mileage is really bad from what I have heard.

Kramersp

Reaction score
For the record. I have a etorque ramnon order. That being said. The following will dust a 5.7L hemi in a truck all day long.
GM 6.2L
Ford 5.0L
Ford 3.5L EB
Ford 2.7L EB
Nissan 5.6L (7 speed auto)
Toyota 5.7L (it'll be close)

Top dogs for drag racing are the 3.5EB (10 speed) and the 6.2L. They are about a tenth apart either way.

I just dont get it. Does Ram 1500 have a lot of driveline power loss?

Kramersp

Reaction score
My EcoBoost to
If you look under the hood of the 19’ there seems to be a lot of space, the engine appears to be back really far. I know the lack of traditional fan and no shroud opens it up but I can see a straight 6 in there. I have no complaints with the Hemi and not sure I want to be the first guy with a new engine I also don’t want a eco boost towing their gas mileage is really bad from what I have heard.

My EcoBoost (2013) towing a 4,600lb boat will get around 12mpg. Not the greatest but not that bad. Now empty I'll be lucky to see 16mpg (70% city/ 30% hwy).

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's hard to beat an EcoBoost. They are quick! 2.7 is slightly faster 0-60 than the 3.5 even...turbo's spool up faster.

From a dead stop, the hemi is a slouch compared to the 2.7 I traded in. The 2.7 was a rocket off the line, without looking I'd say it had a very quick first gear to help it get rolling quickly.

Still happy with the Hemi though, doing my first oil change today at just over 1,100 miles - Pennzoil Ultra Platinum going in.

Kramersp

Reaction score
It's hard to beat an EcoBoost. They are quick! 2.7 is slightly faster 0-60 than the 3.5 even...turbo's spool up faster.

From a dead stop, the hemi is a slouch compared to the 2.7 I traded in. The 2.7 was a rocket off the line, without looking I'd say it had a very quick first gear to help it get rolling quickly.

Still happy with the Hemi though, doing my first oil change today at just over 1,100 miles - Pennzoil Ultra Platinum going in.
Ypu cant beat the torque curve of a turbocharged engine. Its nuts. That's why I ordered e torque. Hopefully that 130 foot pounds will do a good job of filling the gap down low.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's a way to make people buy new trucks every year.

I think that there will be a 400+HP 5.7L next year or the year after as a way to give clients a reason to "upgrade".

I recently interviewed at a Tier 1 engine component supplier and I know they were bidding on a 2020 FCA Hemi refresh project...thus expect something different on the 2020 model year...not sure if they will try to spec bump slightly for next year also.

D

Deleted member 85

I recently interviewed at a Tier 1 engine component supplier and I know they were bidding on a 2020 FCA Hemi refresh project...thus expect something different on the 2020 model year...not sure if they will try to spec bump slightly for next year also.
That is a phenomenal tidbit, thank you for sharing that.

Users who are viewing this thread