5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12'' screen worth it

Kamikaze6780

Reaction score
As my Pappy used to say "You would complain if you were hung with a new rope".

No it's just preference and I do notice a difference that one stutters more than the other. It's not complaining, it's what I have noticed, that's all. But if it's smooth for others, that's great. Wasn't for me though

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I with you! What is down the road that I cannot see like traffic on my way home. The road shows red, use a different route. Seems to be fairly accurate on the traffic side, too.

Does the Nav map show live traffic? From where? Google maps data?

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm on conference calls often when driving to meetings. Waze + phone controls on bottom is great.

Love the 12" unconnect.

Plus I can rub it in my Tesla owning co-workers faces that I have a large display too.

Does the map have live traffic? How accurate? From what source? Google Maps, Waze? Both?

Saints

Reaction score
Can you pause and rewind FM by any chance?

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the 8.4 so I look at it from another (jealous) angle :D but I think not allowing full screen (CarPlay) is a miss, especially for maps. I also wonder if I would miss the knobs? I know that probably sounds dumb but while I love tech, there is also a tactile feeling with knobs and for certain things like radio, temp, etc, it’s still more intuitive to me. Anyway, that’s probably that just takes getting used to.

Last comment and it isn’t specific to the 12”, is I hate that when I’m in CarPlay mode and go into my phone, say to check a msg, it changes my uconnect screen (like if I have a map on).

I might be in the minority but I prefer the smaller screen. To me the big screen looks like someone glued a tablet to the dashboard. I like having the mix of screen & knobs. Especially since I prefer knobs; I hate all the fingerprints that show up on touch screens. Though I do have to say I am constantly grabbing that knob below the screen when I want to mess with the heat. So maybe those needed more separation.

19 LL

Reaction score
Funny you bring that up!!! Me and my wife were just talking about that the other day because I almost did just that

chopped54

Reaction score
I am curious to know the people who say they chose the 8.4 over the 12, what trim level did you end up with?

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the 8.4 and the Rebel but I didn’t choose the 8.4, that’s what they had. I’m very happy with it but if I had the choice I probably would have gone with the 12 being a tech freak. I’ve been trying to rationalize why the 8.4 is better ever since :LOL:

davidn0021

Reaction score
My only complaint with the 12" screen is the fact that it isn't an HD screen. All that space and screen real estate but the resolution makes me feel like I'm looking at a cheap monitor. After looking at hi-res smaller screens in my X5 and GLE, it's almost like a huge letdown with the 12". If they had stuck in a hi-res version instead, then I feel the price would've been justified. But, whatever, it works well enough for now though I wonder if they did upgrade that in the 2020 or 2021... hoping by the time my lease is up, they'll have either that as standard or even an option then I'll most definitely jump into another 1500. Right now, I'm at 80/20 but we'll see in another couple years or so.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My only complaint with the 12" screen is the fact that it isn't an HD screen. All that space and screen real estate but the resolution makes me feel like I'm looking at a cheap monitor. After looking at hi-res smaller screens in my X5 and GLE, it's almost like a huge letdown with the 12". If they had stuck in a hi-res version instead, then I feel the price would've been justified. But, whatever, it works well enough for now though I wonder if they did upgrade that in the 2020 or 2021... hoping by the time my lease is up, they'll have either that as standard or even an option then I'll most definitely jump into another 1500. Right now, I'm at 80/20 but we'll see in another couple years or so.
According to Motor Trend, the resolution of the 12" screen is 800 x 1280 (vertically-oriented), or basically two 8.4" screens stacked on top of each other. This is considered a "non-standard HD resolution"...a little more than 720p. I can't find any confirmation that this resolution is being reported accurately and/or the pixel density of the two screens is the same. I will say that Google Maps in satellite view looks great via CarPlay on the top half of the screen, but CarPlay supports quite a few resolutions (800x480, 960x540, 1280x720, and 1920x720 as of 8/18).

Could it be that it's just the UConnect UI that needs higher-resolution icons to take advantage of the screen for other functions?

davidn0021

Reaction score
According to Motor Trend, the resolution of the 12" screen is 800 x 1280 (vertically-oriented), or basically two 8.4" screens stacked on top of each other. This is considered a "non-standard HD resolution"...a little more than 720p. I can't find any confirmation that this resolution is being reported accurately and/or the pixel density of the two screens is the same. I will say that Google Maps in satellite view looks great via CarPlay on the top half of the screen, but CarPlay supports quite a few resolutions (800x480, 960x540, 1280x720, and 1920x720 as of 8/18).

Could it be that it's just the UConnect UI that needs higher-resolution icons to take advantage of the screen for other functions?

I consider anything less than 4k lo-res. With the state of technology these days, screen resolution should easily be double that for a 12" screen. Of course, I'm comparing this to my iPad Pro so I feel the tech is out there... just needs to somehow make it into our trucks!

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
I am curious to know the people who say they chose the 8.4 over the 12, what trim level did you end up with?
I chose the 8.4" over the 12". Laramie Level 2 trim. I like the navigation screen on the 12" but also like the physical knobs on the 8.4". Combine that with the price of the 12" and we chose the 8.4". Question, does the surround view camera go full screen on the 12"? That would be pretty cool also.

Lakewake

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
The 12” screen is great. Everyone that gets in the truck are blown away by it. I have a neighbor the flies for AA, and the navigation detail Was shocking to him.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I chose the 8.4" over the 12". Laramie Level 2 trim. I like the navigation screen on the 12" but also like the physical knobs on the 8.4". Combine that with the price of the 12" and we chose the 8.4". Question, does the surround view camera go full screen on the 12"? That would be pretty cool also.
No because it's either side by side overhead and rear or 16:9 ratio. Aka widescreen. Too tall to be full screen as it is the tall ratio and it would be very distorted

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

chopped54

Reaction score

FWIW the 12 has the same knobs as the 8.4 just on the side vs the bottom.

Chris

Reaction score
I considered the limited for a long time, but ultimately skipped it specifically to avoid the 12" screen and the Air Suspension; Air Suspension because I live near Canada, and I plan to keep the truck for a long time and don't want to worry about the suspension failing in 6 years.

For the 12" screen, the main reason I would want it is for a full screen camera view (such as surround with reverse on top, forward on bottom) or a full screen CarPlay; with neither supported, it loses most of its value. As such, the cost was not worth it and I enjoy having physical buttons for many more things rather than displaying two things simultaneously; with the shortcuts on the bottom, it is easy enough for me to switch between the main screens I use quickly and conveniently. If they make the cameras fill the whole screen and CarPlay becomes full screen compatible, I would probably splurge (I prefer Waze and Google Maps over the built in truck nav).

I have the Laramie trim with Lvl 2 / Advanced Safety Group tech packages; the 12" screen would have cost $995 at the time to add it to my factory order.

Users who are viewing this thread