5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12'' screen worth it

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
I have the 8.4 so I look at it from another (jealous) angle :D but I think not allowing full screen (CarPlay) is a miss, especially for maps. I also wonder if I would miss the knobs? I know that probably sounds dumb but while I love tech, there is also a tactile feeling with knobs and for certain things like radio, temp, etc, it’s still more intuitive to me. Anyway, that’s probably that just takes getting used to.

Last comment and it isn’t specific to the 12”, is I hate that when I’m in CarPlay mode and go into my phone, say to check a msg, it changes my uconnect screen (like if I have a map on).

You can still change temp using physical buttons and change volume / radio with knob and get the tactile feel

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I have the 8.4 so I look at it from another (jealous) angle :D but I think not allowing full screen (CarPlay) is a miss, especially for maps. I also wonder if I would miss the knobs? I know that probably sounds dumb but while I love tech, there is also a tactile feeling with knobs and for certain things like radio, temp, etc, it’s still more intuitive to me. Anyway, that’s probably that just takes getting used to.

Last comment and it isn’t specific to the 12”, is I hate that when I’m in CarPlay mode and go into my phone, say to check a msg, it changes my uconnect screen (like if I have a map on).
I hear ya, and that's the first thing I looked at. They kept the physical knobs for volume and tuning, as well as mute, climate temp, fan, mode, recirculation, front & back defrosting, etc. Basically all the stuff you use daily. Only ones that are not physical are seat warmer/cooling, but they have handy shortcuts on the bottom.

IMG_2049.jpeg

Last edited:

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I hear ya, and that's the first thing I looked at. They kept the physical knobs for volume and tuning, as well as mute, climate temp, fan, mode, recirculation, front & back defrosting, etc. Basically all the stuff you use daily. Only ones that are not physical are seat warmer/cooling, but they have handy shortcuts on the bottom.

Oh that’s good to know and smart. Those I wouldn’t care about. Ok so now I guess I’m just left jealous :D

Kamikaze6780

Reaction score
The 12" screen is quite slow, it needs to be faster and smoother. It's the main reason that I avoided it, its a bit slow

50Front

Reaction score
The 12" screen is one of my favorite features, it was executed very well. With the surrounding redundant buttons and knobs along with the steering wheel controls you really don't have to touch the screen if you don't want to. I agree with other posters that other trucks with their small screens seem outdated.

klail

Reaction score
The 12" screen is quite slow, it needs to be faster and smoother. It's the main reason that I avoided it, its a bit slow

I don't find it bothersome. There are a couple pauses once in awhile when I click on things like weather or gas prices but that's about it for me and yeah, it's not as smooth as a new gen iPad but it doesn't bother me when using it.

RichT

Reaction score
The Nav on the 12" is incredible. Nav on a small screen drives me crazy. I don't care what is within a mile of me...I can see it. I care about what is further down the road. Think "are we there yet?". The downfield view with the 12" full screen is awesome. I'm never fiddling to pinch and see more. At the very most, I will drag down once in a great while.

best case would be we get a hack to full screen a jailbroken iphone.

klail

Reaction score
The Nav on the 12" is incredible. Nav on a small screen drives me crazy. I don't care what is within a mile of me...I can see it. I care about what is further down the road. Think "are we there yet?". The downfield view with the 12" full screen is awesome. I'm never fiddling to pinch and see more. At the very most, I will drag down once in a great while.

best case would be we get a hack to full screen a jailbroken iphone.
I with you! What is down the road that I cannot see like traffic on my way home. The road shows red, use a different route. Seems to be fairly accurate on the traffic side, too.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guess I was impressed with how fast the 12” actually is. And like the majority on this thread, when given a choice, who the heck says “smaller please”?:unsure:;)

JK47TheWeapon

Reaction score
I'm on conference calls often when driving to meetings. Waze + phone controls on bottom is great.

Love the 12" unconnect.

Plus I can rub it in my Tesla owning co-workers faces that I have a large display too.

klail

Reaction score
I'm on conference calls often when driving to meetings. Waze + phone controls on bottom is great.

Love the 12" unconnect.

Plus I can rub it in my Tesla owning co-workers faces that I have a large display too.
How do you get the Waze and phone on the bottom? I am assuming that is through Carplay or AndroidAuto. I will try again when I get home today but I could only get my Carplay to show in the top card. I couldn't move it to the bottom.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
How do you get the Waze and phone on the bottom? I am assuming that is through Carplay or AndroidAuto. I will try again when I get home today but I could only get my Carplay to show in the top card. I couldn't move it to the bottom.

WAZE up top, phone menu on bottom.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think what @JK47TheWeapon was saying was that Waze was running on top PLUS phone controls running on bottom, not "Waze + phone" on bottom. To my knowledge, CarPlay only runs on top.

klail

Reaction score
I think what @JK47TheWeapon was saying was that Waze was running on top PLUS phone controls running on bottom, not "Waze + phone" on bottom. To my knowledge, CarPlay only runs on top.
Thanks for clarifying. It would be nice to be able to run it on either. Bummer!

JK47TheWeapon

Reaction score
Yes, I meant CarPlay (running Waze) on top half, and either media or built in Bluetooth phone control (for mute button) on the bottom half.

Kamikaze6780

Reaction score
Hmm. No, it's not. I have a buddy with a 2019 Laramie w/ 8.4". There's no performance difference between the two, except size.

I test drove a lot of ram trucks and I noticed a performance difference between the two. Hey, if you enjoy it, that's all that matters. With my experience, they need to smooth it out before I decide to bite on a 12" screen.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wife has the 8.4" in her 2019 GC, and I have the 12" in the Ram. No difference in performance between the two. Mine just way more awesome. Love the way they placed the app buttons across the bottom of the screen so that its an easy reach with my arm on the console. I run mine on the Media app 99.9% of the time. I also like that the Controls app pops up when I put the truck in Reverse. Allows for easy adjustment of seat/steering heat while I back down my drive.

Users who are viewing this thread