5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12 inch screen users

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
For those of you who have the 12 inch screen in your truck, what are your thoughts on it? Super cool? Over rated? Something in between?

vandersnoot

Reaction score
I'm glad I got it, but now that I do, I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker. The layout on the 8.4 (or whatever) still looks clean.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For those of you who have the 12 inch screen in your truck, what are your thoughts on it? Super cool? Over rated? Something in between?

I'd call it super cool relative to other options in trucks but also under utilized as well.
Port UC5 to it for starters and five it more diagnostic capability

maroc

Reaction score
I honestly didn't want it on my 2019 Longhorn but couldn't get it without it. I decided I could live with it since it did have several "real" buttons for things like climate control so I don't have to dig through menus. 2 years later, my biggest gripes are
  1. No hard buttons for things like seat heat/cool, steering wheel heat, deploy running boards
  2. No way to manually reset the system when it inevitably glitches. Have to pull a fuse or disconnect battery
  3. When your battery dies due to some other glitch (most recently discovered it was due to running boards), the thing loses half its functionality so you have no cameras, seat heat/cool, climate control, etc until it does something to restore that functionality. On new year's day this year I got up at dark 30 to go the hunting camp and battery dead. Have to disconnect battery to jump it off because it won't crank (seemed like fuel pump shutoff or something). Finally get it cranked then drive 2 hours and back into a small tree while turning around because no cameras :( Yes I should have looked closer when backing up but why do the cameras not work after a power loss???
I don't know if I would have bought this truck if I had known about these problems. At least this forum helped me figure out the running board problem and now I just found a TSB for the grinding noise when turning right at slow speeds.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd say it's "something in between." I had the 8.4 on my last truck (and my Jeep) and it's also a great choice. My thoughts on the 12" though since you asked:
I really like the giant navigation map. The map switches to a split screen as you approach the next turn making the route very obvious. I have the HUD too so my next turn displays on the windshield, but I like that the map can be used to clarify congested areas.
You can customize what you want shown when not displaying a map. It can split screen two folders (or "cards" as they call it) so you could have your radio on one card and comfort settings on the other. Or you could have gas prices on one card and a map on the other. You can swap which is on top/bottom or you could have a single item be full screen.
It looks nice and clean too. No clutter and the buttons you do have are smooth along the edges. The other cool thing is that it definitely has a wow factor when people get in the truck.

My only gripe about it has already been mentioned, which is you don't have physical keys for the heated seats and wheel. That's kind of a bummer, but I set them as one of my bottom row buttons so not a huge issue. It's not difficult to turn them on/off with the radio, if they're set on a tab you don't have to "shuffle through" pages to use them. My concern with the lack of a physical button is if the radio fouls for some reason. FWIW, there are physical buttons for the HVAC so you can control the temperature in the cabin without touching the radio so you won't freeze if that happens. You just won't be able to warm your hands/butt.

In the end I like it, and I'd probably get it again. To make it a must have item, they would have to add physical buttons somewhere for the seats and wheel, thus eliminating the only thing about it I don't care for. That done, I would seek it out. As it is now, I'd try to get it, but wouldn't be a deal breaker if the truck had the 8.4 instead.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I honestly didn't want it on my 2019 Longhorn but couldn't get it without it. I decided I could live with it since it did have several "real" buttons for things like climate control so I don't have to dig through menus. 2 years later, my biggest gripes are
  1. No hard buttons for things like seat heat/cool, steering wheel heat, deploy running boards
  2. No way to manually reset the system when it inevitably glitches. Have to pull a fuse or disconnect battery
  3. When your battery dies due to some other glitch (most recently discovered it was due to running boards), the thing loses half its functionality so you have no cameras, seat heat/cool, climate control, etc until it does something to restore that functionality. On new year's day this year I got up at dark 30 to go the hunting camp and battery dead. Have to disconnect battery to jump it off because it won't crank (seemed like fuel pump shutoff or something). Finally get it cranked then drive 2 hours and back into a small tree while turning around because no cameras :( Yes I should have looked closer when backing up but why do the cameras not work after a power loss???
I don't know if I would have bought this truck if I had known about these problems. At least this forum helped me figure out the running board problem and now I just found a TSB for the grinding noise when turning right at slow speeds.

#2 is wrong, there is a reset option, just have to know how to do it.

Your #3 isn't a 12" display exclusive thing. It happens with the 8.4" guys as well with "losing" features after a battery disconnect u til the system fully resets.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It was a must have for me when I got my truck, along with the panoramic sunroof. The wow facter, the large display. Love the split screen feature. Guys who complain about nonphysical buttons probably haven't actually owned one. Other than heated seat/steering wheel buttons, it has buttons/knobs for every feature the 8.4" trucks have. Just a different layout. I still like it. Have no experience with the 8.4" to be able to compare, but have no desire to have a smaller screen.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned both the 8.4 and 12.1 inch screens. My preference is the 12 inch screen. My only complaints are that there are no physical buttons for the seat vent/heat and steering wheel heat, and the full screen is not utilized for the surround view camera.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2 is incorrect. 3 is partially incorrect if you force a system reboot, which you can do (see #2).

Last week, my OEM battery died. I followed FCA’s instructions (posted in another thread) to force a reboot after a dead battery caused me to lose cameras. It worked like a champ…no fuse-pulling or battery disconnection required.

To the OP…the 12” screen is a party piece that completes the truck. As @BowDown wrote, it’s underutilized. But I ordered my truck with it and would do so again. The split screen functionality is awesome.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
.... Other than heated seat/steering wheel buttons, it has buttons/knobs for every feature the 8.4" trucks have. Just a different layout. .....
That's accurate.
It took me a bit to get used to the new layout, but it's all there except the seats/wheel.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
....... As @BowDown wrote, it’s underutilized. ...
Realistically many features on the truck are underutilized depending on the owner/driver.
I've used the all time 4wd setting a total of zero times so far. I will likely use it on occasion, but typically I'm in 4 high or 2wd. Full time 4wd (akin to awd) is nice, but underutilized. Some people may use it all winter long though just like some people may use the crap out the features on the 12" radio.
Heck for that matter, I use the bed all the time, but I've read on threads about bed length that some people got the 5'7" bed because they never use it and would rather the extra cab space. That is the epidemy of an underutilized feature of a truck if you ask me.

So your guys are right, it may be underutilized, but we all have a feature or two we don't use much. That doesn't mean we don't want things like full time 4wd for the times we want to use it though. Which, like you, is why we buy them with those things, 12" radio included.

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
I also have mixed feelings... but mostly not for the reasons listed above.

I admit I'm also concerned about the screen bricking and losing pretty much all of the truck's electronics along with it.

But, having been in the IT world since the '80s, I am that guy who loses my sh!t when there are fingerprints on my computer screens. Partially for that reason, I've avoided getting a smart phone until this past February... and I'm learning to live with it. It still drives me up the wall when I turn the truck so the sun hits the screen face just so and all of the dust and fingerprints are on full display. I'm also not a big fan of not being able to see anything when the sun gets in that zone as well. Trying to change fan modes while driving [and hitting a soft bump or something] has me changing the input source on the radio (mildly annoying) - for that reason, I miss the knobs on my 2012.

All said and done, I'm thinking I might've been better with the 8" screen (and separate HVAC controls), but seeing that monster screen in the Black Widow I first looked at reeled me in - it's just so cool!

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the 8.4 in my last jeep and love the 12" in the truck. To me it was a much have.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I also have mixed feelings... but mostly not for the reasons listed above.

I admit I'm also concerned about the screen bricking and losing pretty much all of the truck's electronics along with it.

But, having been in the IT world since the '80s, I am that guy who loses my sh!t when there are fingerprints on my computer screens. Partially for that reason, I've avoided getting a smart phone until this past February... and I'm learning to live with it. It still drives me up the wall when I turn the truck so the sun hits the screen face just so and all of the dust and fingerprints are on full display. I'm also not a big fan of not being able to see anything when the sun gets in that zone as well. Trying to change fan modes while driving [and hitting a soft bump or something] has me changing the input source on the radio (mildly annoying) - for that reason, I miss the knobs on my 2012.

All said and done, I'm thinking I might've been better with the 8" screen (and separate HVAC controls), but seeing that monster screen in the Black Widow I first looked at reeled me in - it's just so cool!
Added a matte screen protector to my 12" display which helped a ton with finger prints and glare. You still have times at certain sun angles, but not as bad as the gloss. I use the Auto temp control feature on my HVAC controls almost exclusively. Only time I have ever had to switch to any other mode is in freezing temps with freezing rain and wanting full defrost, and when out "playing" in the snow and trying to keep window clean as snow is flying all around completely covering every window on the truck. And of course when it's nice out and I have windows down, I turn it off

Users who are viewing this thread