5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12 inch Screen blackouts after going in reverse

Striker99

Reaction score
My 12 inch screen blacks out after going in reverse but the sound keeps playing. Every time this happens I shut down the radio and turn it back on for the screen to turn on. Does anyone have this problem? Is there an update for this? When this happens, my Nav system loses its location on the map. I checked online and inputted my VIN #, it says that my system is up to date.

Striker99

Reaction score
I'm hearing crickets on this issue.... Does this mean that I'm the only person having this problem? Help!!!

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
is anyone else have the 12" periodically flicker, no image, or run the cameras and cannot get out of it. Have had these happen the last 10 days, before that, a full month of no issues at all. It seems the 12" screen has a mind all its own, or was put out before it was debugged

Striker99

Reaction score
Never had the issue. Stop by your dealer or at least contact them. I wouldn't have waited a week hoping this forum would fix it for you.
Ouch!! I wasn't looking for the forum to fix the issue and the problem happens randomly... I have other problems fixed by reading it in this forum by the dealership. So, thanks for any suggestions.

Lovesy55

Reaction score
900km and just this morning having the same issue with screen going blank after going into reverse, going to dealer this Friday. Mine just arrived from factory on April 29th.

Update : seems to work fine after letting it sit for a while.

Last edited:

Striker99

Reaction score
900km and just this morning having the same issue with screen going blank after going into reverse, going to dealer this Friday. Mine just arrived from factory on April 29th.

Update : seems to work fine after letting it sit for a while.

My truck was working fine for the longest time and then it happened it again... I parked the truck and I let it sit for awhile and then started it remotely and the issue was fixed. Otherwise I love this truck

Ramman63

Reaction score
My 12 inch screen blacks out after going in reverse but the sound keeps playing. Every time this happens I shut down the radio and turn it back on for the screen to turn on. Does anyone have this problem? Is there an update for this? When this happens, my Nav system loses its location on the map. I checked online and inputted my VIN #, it says that my system is up to date.

Ramman63

Reaction score
I also had this issue with the screen going dark...also my front camera will stick in the on position and can't shut it off... none of the buttons will work...can't even turn off the screen...if I turn off the truck for at least an hour it will return to the normal screen.
This has happened about dozen times since I bought it the end of February.
I work 80 hours a week and can't get to the dealership... VERY DISAPPOINTED

RHut

Reaction score
Me too. Try version 28.1 update

RHut

Reaction score
Yes. Same issue. Also no navigation. Just five blinking dots

Striker99

Reaction score
Me too. Try version 28.1 update
I'm not sure if my system updated itself or it came with the 28.1 update but I haven't had an issue for a least a month. I'm crossing my fingers that the problem is resolved.

gwarrior4u

Reaction score
Mine's doing this! Seems to happen more when it's hot outside (?), but has happened a number of times. Start the truck, screen lights up and is fine, drop it in gear, the screen blacks out. Off and on with the volume knob and it comes back on and stays on. Will be on the way to the dealer with this shortly.

ndeens2289

Reaction score
I have the same exact issue...going from reverse to drive the screen will go blank, but the radio will still work. I can get it back up with either hitting the power button once or twice, or turning the truck off/on. There are some more details in this thread:

BernieR includes an attachment from a STAR Publication that states the issue won't be resolved until the next update in Q4. Something about data being received from the radio or a low voltage differential signal. It is likely that plus other software bugs that need to be worked out. Until then, this may be an annoyance/inconvenience we have to live with temporarily as people have tried to fix the problem other ways (hard reset, replace HD/memory unit), which didn't fix the problem or made things worse. So all they did was loose their truck for however long it took to "fix" the issue only to be right back where they started before taking it for service. From what I've read in the forums, sometimes these "updates" take half to a full day and new HD/memory units (I don't think they replace the whole screen unit) take weeks to come in.

A couple of other issues I have are intermittently dropping calls or I no longer transmit voice (other person can't hear me, but I hear them). However, over the grand scheme of things, I think these are glitches I can deal with until a better long term solution is released (hopefully). Until then, I'd rather continue enjoying the non-glitchy parts of my beautiful truck rather than let it sit in a service center.

This may be a more forgiving thought, but I think we need to realize that a complicated infotainment system that is incorporating so many different functions into one unit likely has hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of lines of code that are bound to have errors and there are likely unanticipated issues with how certain functions may interact with each other. Like anything else out there (video games, computers, phones, etc.) the patch/update process is always ongoing and improving, so the optimist in me thinks that eventually, albeit slowly, the updates should work things out. Although reluctantly, as much as I want the infotainment to be 100% bulletproof, I know it will never get there.

Last edited:

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Same issue here with the screen going blank. It started after the dealership did a software update to 28.1. Took it back to the dealer and they told me nothing they can do, there's a Star Case for the issue that says there will be another software update coming in Q4. So now I get to drive around with a screen going blank for the next 2-5 months? Come on FCA!!

Cptcoolie

Reaction score
I had this issue about 4 times today.

My fix:

I switch the headlight knob from "auto" to "on", and then back to "auto" and so far, that maneuver has fixed it every time. I hope this works for others as well.

A little annoying when it happens, but an easy work around until something better comes along..e.g. a patch.

Maybe FCA (or some of you technically smart folks) can use this info to figure out the cause of the issue.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had this issue about 4 times today.

My fix:

I switch the headlight knob from "auto" to "on", and then back to "auto" and so far, that maneuver has fixed it every time. I hope this works for others as well.

A little annoying when it happens, but an easy work around until something better comes along..e.g. a patch.

Maybe FCA (or some of you technically smart folks) can use this info to figure out the cause of the issue.
I had the issue about two weeks ago and it came back after turning the truck off and on. Only happened once (knock on wood). Hopefully, it doesn’t happen again.

Ross_krd

Reaction score
Same issue the screen will go blank takes a sec then back on very annoying fir the price that was paid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread