5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12 inch Screen blackouts after going in reverse

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine did this the other day a few times and then fixed itself. Hoping this update comes out soon so I can have this addressed.

MikeP

Reaction score
My 12 inch screen blacks out after going in reverse but the sound keeps playing. Every time this happens I shut down the radio and turn it back on for the screen to turn on. Does anyone have this problem? Is there an update for this? When this happens, my Nav system loses its location on the map. I checked online and inputted my VIN #, it says that my system is up to date.
I'm having the same issue on my 3rd radio since I got my truck 2 months ago.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Turning the Uconnect screen off then back on OR switching the headlights from auto to on, then back to auto gets my screen to come back on as well.

My truck will be fine for a little while, then do it a few days in a row. I can’t seem to figure out a pattern though. However, whenever it does it as long as my truck is running on the same engine cycle my screen goes blank EVERY time I use the backup or surround view camera and I have to do one of those workarounds.

MisterDave

Reaction score
I have had my 2019 ram 1500 limited for just a year now. At my last service I mentioned that my xm radio was not holding it's presets. It didn't bother me much, but would like it fixed. I believe they did an update. When I picked up the truck the screen was having this same issue of turning off after showing the camera and loosing GPS. Turning the stereo off and then back on would bring the screen back on, but it would go off again after using the reverse camera. The other possibly related issue I was having was the screen in the instrument cluster. This screen would not turn on occasionally lasting a day or two. Last week the instrument cluster screen wouldn't turn on for over a week. Brought it to the dealer. Now I am on the forth day of it being in the shop. They told me they are replacing my center stack and my instrument cluster. I really like this truck when everything is working and it drives great. hopefully we can find a fix soon.

cotonymopar

Reaction score
mine did that after I got a sprayed in bedliner, the disconnect and connect played havok.. make sure the wires did not get damaged from the tailgate to the bed

amac0914

Reaction score
I also had this issue with the screen going dark...also my front camera will stick in the on position and can't shut it off... none of the buttons will work...can't even turn off the screen...if I turn off the truck for at least an hour it will return to the normal screen.
This has happened about dozen times since I bought it the end of February.
I work 80 hours a week and can't get to the dealership... VERY DISAPPOINTED

All you have to do is put the truck in neutral and it will go back to normal

Longhorn fan

Reaction score
My 12 inch screen blacks out after going in reverse but the sound keeps playing. Every time this happens I shut down the radio and turn it back on for the screen to turn on. Does anyone have this problem? Is there an update for this? When this happens, my Nav system loses its location on the map. I checked online and inputted my VIN #, it says that my system is up to date.
Yes I just started having this problem after the deal fixed my presets not saving. Also after that fix all my favorites disappear from the favorites screen, plus I still don't where to find songs and artists that are saved to notifications (in the older 8.4" system there was a separate page of these) so they fixed one got to new problem

Longhorn fan

Reaction score
All you have to do is put the truck in neutral and it will go back to normal
At $65,000 for the longhorn I bought, call me picky, but the damn thing should work. I've had this truck 1 year now and the 12" infotainment system has never work 100% correct, it's one quirky aggrivation after another

1Srgolfnut

Reaction score
I just came back from the dealer a couple hours ago. I've had the screen goes black after reverse issue since it was purchased. I now have 5000 miles. The service manager showed me a service bulletin on this issue saying a fix is promised Q4 2019, "Do not replace the screen", that's actually what it said. They have replaced the screen module, the camera harness, and the 12" screen itself. That saved them from buying mine back because it was in the shop 4 times for same issue. But engineering knows about it, knows how to fix it. They showed me the bulletin and mine did throw that error code.

1Srgolfnut

Reaction score
Yes I just started having this problem after the deal fixed my presets not saving. Also after that fix all my favorites disappear from the favorites screen, plus I still don't where to find songs and artists that are saved to notifications (in the older 8.4" system there was a separate page of these) so they fixed one got to new problem
There is a bulletin on this that just came out. A fix is promised Q4 2019.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just came back from the dealer a couple hours ago. I've had the screen goes black after reverse issue since it was purchased. I now have 5000 miles. The service manager showed me a service bulletin on this issue saying a fix is promised Q4 2019, "Do not replace the screen", that's actually what it said. They have replaced the screen module, the camera harness, and the 12" screen itself. That saved them from buying mine back because it was in the shop 4 times for same issue. But engineering knows about it, knows how to fix it. They showed me the bulletin and mine did throw that error code.

Are you sure it was a service bulletin (TSB)? Usually a TSB means they have a fix that the dealer can perform. Do you have the TSB # refrenced?

I was shown a Star Case S1908000097 back in July that promised an update in Q4 that would resolve the issue.

Pretty disappointing if they know how to fix it and they’re making people wait months for the fix. Any other company that releases a software version with bugs would release an update withIn days or worst case within a few weeks if they know how to fix it.

BobRam1500

Reaction score
I'm hearing crickets on this issue.... Does this mean that I'm the only person having this problem? Help!!!
Nope, I'm having the same issue. I got my 2019 Ram back in November and I didn't have an issue until the dealer did a upgrade in August. Almost immediately I started having issues. They've replace the Screen and the rear camera and still nothing. I spoke with FCA and they told me that it was an engineering issue and a update was expected Q4-2019. I told them that wasn't a good answer and to restore the image to the version I had when I purchased it. They said they couldn't do that. I am now deciding if the is time for my attorney or to wait until Q4.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope, I'm having the same issue. I got my 2019 Ram back in November and I didn't have an issue until the dealer did a upgrade in August. Almost immediately I started having issues. They've replace the Screen and the rear camera and still nothing. I spoke with FCA and they told me that it was an engineering issue and a update was expected Q4-2019. I told them that wasn't a good answer and to restore the image to the version I had when I purchased it. They said they couldn't do that. I am now deciding if the is time for my attorney or to wait until Q4.

We are about a quarter of the way through Q4 now.

KEENEXPORTERS

Reaction score
I know a while back some were looking to do the 12" OEM screen upgrade. (I apologize Im new to the Board as this is my first post), but www.infotainment.com
came out with plug and play version for the 2019 (classic and new body style). I have the 2019 1500 Big Horn and have been looking to do this upgrade for quite some time.
Well, I bought the 12" screen from Infotainment and this thing is so dope, its unreal. Upgraded from the 8 inch screen that came in my Big Horn.
Took about 30 mins to install. Very easy. Also comes with OBD decoder. Comes with everything you need. They aint cheap, as Infotainment sells them for $3999.95.
Anyway the point of my post is I just got setup through my two companies, SupplyMan Inc, and Keen Exporters to be a dealer for them. So if you are looking to do this upgrade and
you want pricing, let me know. I am selling them for $3825.00 which includes shipping. Lead time is about 5-6 days, and again it comes with everything you need.
It is programmed specifically for your RAM. So if you want you buy one, let me know as I will need specific info off of your truck so that Infotainment can program accordingly.
thank you. If interested, PM me.

Lagnf

Reaction score
I had this issue about 4 times today.

My fix:

I switch the headlight knob from "auto" to "on", and then back to "auto" and so far, that maneuver has fixed it every time. I hope this works for others as well.

A little annoying when it happens, but an easy work around until something better comes along..e.g. a patch.

Maybe FCA (or some of you technically smart folks) can use this info to figure out the cause of the issue.
I am having same issue with screen going black. Switching the headlight knob works in terms of bringing the screen back to life (thank you for suggestion) but the overall system issue does not get fixed. When this happens on my Ram 1500 Limited - not only does screen go blank - GPS won't track, Sirrius does not display correctly and Carplay does fully function. Those are just the obvious issues. I bought vehicle at end of August. Had this happen sporadically the first month but now it has happened every day this week. Taking it to dealer next week. I think this is ridiculous they have not fixed this issue yet.

Reaction score
I have the exact same issue everyone is reporting here. Uconnect screen turns off after going into reverse but is still fully functional and will even beep when the screen is pressed as if its recognizing the touch. The headlight knob does bring the screen back to life but its only a temporary solution as it eventually happens again and again. Starting to get a bit more annoying because it's happening literally every time im in the car . Especially annoying if you have to re-park your car because going into reverse and then putting it in drive turns off the screen, if you have to put it in reverse again and want the 3d view you have to turn the headlight nob to get the screen to turn back on again. Very classy for a 60k car. Other issues im noticing due to this software bug is Navigation GPS doesn't have a signal? or just straight up doesn't know where you are anymore. It doesn't connect at all and just stays completely still even when driving. So its basically useless. And I havent found a fix for this. I dont use the Nav and only really use apple carplay anyway so its not the end of the world but still, this stuff needs to get worked out. As someone whose pretty tech savvy, all these bugs make me want to do a hard restart of the device and reinstall the software but you cant do either of these things with the 12 inch. I have a dealership visit scheduled on Tuesday where they will also take care of a nonrelated recall so ill have the dealership address it and report back sometime next week

Lagnf

Reaction score
I have the exact same issue everyone is reporting here. Uconnect screen turns off after going into reverse but is still fully functional and will even beep when the screen is pressed as if its recognizing the touch. The headlight knob does bring the screen back to life but its only a temporary solution as it eventually happens again and again. Starting to get a bit more annoying because it's happening literally every time im in the car . Especially annoying if you have to re-park your car because going into reverse and then putting it in drive turns off the screen, if you have to put it in reverse again and want the 3d view you have to turn the headlight nob to get the screen to turn back on again. Very classy for a 60k car. Other issues im noticing due to this software bug is Navigation GPS doesn't have a signal? or just straight up doesn't know where you are anymore. It doesn't connect at all and just stays completely still even when driving. So its basically useless. And I havent found a fix for this. I dont use the Nav and only really use apple carplay anyway so its not the end of the world but still, this stuff needs to get worked out. As someone whose pretty tech savvy, all these bugs make me want to do a hard restart of the device and reinstall the software but you cant do either of these things with the 12 inch. I have a dealership visit scheduled on Tuesday where they will also take care of a nonrelated recall so ill have the dealership address it and report back sometime next week
Updating with workaround that seems to be effective: five minutes before I drive the truck in the morning - I do a "locate truck" from Uconnect App. Everything has worked fine since I started doing this. What I think is happening - if software does not boot up "clean" in Uconnect- meaning nothing else in truck is turned on while it is loading (i.e. heated seats, heating steering, fan running on high to heat or cool, etc) - they have an integration issue between GPS, Sirrius, hardware and whatever else they have in the mix. I tested this a few different ways and keep coming to this conclusion. By having Uconnect do a locate before I start the vehicle, I am assuming the system is doing some sort of start up when it gets the locate command that is not being hindered by other systems turning on with a vehicle start. I will state the obvious - we should not be having these issues in the first place but I will live with this workaround until they really fix the problem. I take my truck in Thursday morning and I am leary of having the dealer try to do anything with it until the next software version is released based upon other posts I have read. Full disclosure, I have been in software industry for over 20 years so fairly adapt at troubleshooting. Hope this helps others and curious if that workaround addresses your issues.

Reaction score
Updating with workaround that seems to be effective: five minutes before I drive the truck in the morning - I do a "locate truck" from Uconnect App. Everything has worked fine since I started doing this. What I think is happening - if software does not boot up "clean" in Uconnect- meaning nothing else in truck is turned on while it is loading (i.e. heated seats, heating steering, fan running on high to heat or cool, etc) - they have an integration issue between GPS, Sirrius, hardware and whatever else they have in the mix. I tested this a few different ways and keep coming to this conclusion. By having Uconnect do a locate before I start the vehicle, I am assuming the system is doing some sort of start up when it gets the locate command that is not being hindered by other systems turning on with a vehicle start. I will state the obvious - we should not be having these issues in the first place but I will live with this workaround until they really fix the problem. I take my truck in Thursday morning and I am leary of having the dealer try to do anything with it until the next software version is released based upon other posts I have read. Full disclosure, I have been in software industry for over 20 years so fairly adapt at troubleshooting. Hope this helps others and curious if that workaround addresses your issues.

Thanks very much for the workaround, Im pretty tech savvy as i've built my own computers and such but im sure you have wayyy more knowledge than I do about this stuff. Thanks for the advice I'll try it if it acts up again. I took my truck into the dealer, and they were doing a recall and also I had them take a look at this issue and I asked some questions I had after reading about everyones experiences in this thread. This was their responses:

Q: Can you do a hard restart of a 12 inch uconnect system? A: Yes and no, there is nothing in the software that allows you to restart or reinstall the system. In order to do a hard restart you have to disconnect it from the battery but there is no option in the settings.

Q: Is there a software update to address these issues? A: Yes although we aren't sure when its coming out. We thought it was going to be a month ago because weve been dealing with this issue for the better part of 6 months. No timetable that my dealership was aware of.

As of right now, Ive had the truck for a day and everything seems to be working properly. Im not holding my breath but it seems to be fixed for the time being. If you all are having issues, i recommend disconnecting it from the battery and seeing if that fixes the issue.

Jghallis

Reaction score
I just experienced this issue but a little different. The screen showed a distorted camera view while in reverse and was stuck there in drive. The screen was non responsive. I then turned the engine off and on and screen went black though the radio was still on. The screen would light back up when I turned the engine off, then it would go off again when I restarted the motor. In drive it’s totally black. I parked the truck and took the fuse out (F44 20amp) and it seemed to correct the issue. I haven’t tried the headlight trick yet.
Anymore updates on this Q4 software update?

Users who are viewing this thread